Thread: WWII in the Pacific

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default WWII in the Pacific

A friend sent this to me. I thought these photographs were incredible and worth sharing.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured...ers/#more-1547
    Ron's Daughter
    R399144

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those pictures were very incredible it just goes to show how fanatical the Japanese were if the big bomb had not been dropped and the Emperor telling the Japanese Nation that the war was over they would have kept on fighting.The Japs in Singapore told our army officers that if the Allied forces invaded Malaya and Singapore they were to kill all pow . Anyhow i doubt wether we would have lasted much longer as things was getting pretty bad .Thank You Jacyn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: WWII in the Pacific

I couldn't help but think of you, Lou, when I looked at this pictures and decided to post this. I only hope these photos didn't upset you too much in bringing about old memories, but I feel it's so terribly important that this War never be forgotten.

When my daughter was a teenager, she met a young man (a short-lived boyfriend I didn't like) who told her the holocaust never happened. I was outraged and immediately set her straight on the subject. Young people today have no idea what our world might be like today if it hadn't been for the millions who sacrificed so much. How lucky we all are now.
    Ron's Daughter
    R399144

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacyn Wade View Post
    ..........When my daughter was a teenager, she met a young man (a short-lived boyfriend I didn't like) who told her the holocaust never happened. I was outraged and immediately set her straight on the subject. Young people today have no idea what our world might be like today if it hadn't been for the millions who sacrificed so much. How lucky we all are now.
    Hi Cockney Girl,

I share your concern, Jacyn, however, notwithstanding the possibility/probability of political interference, I think the finger of suspicion should point towards academia and those we entrust with the education of our children and grandchildren. Surely, it is they who must bear responsibility for the inadequacy of modern history curricula in our schools. One could be forgiven for thinking that it's all part of some fiendish international plot to airbrush away any unpleasantness that may have occurred during the past century, to protect, in cotton-wool, the sensibilities of former enemies who have now re-emerged as important allies (and we all know who they are, don't we?).

I do not subscribe to the view that Japanese and German people of this modern age should be held to account for the sins of their fathers, but, neither do I believe the barbaric cruelty and horror perpetrated by some of their recent ancestors ( to which Lou' can attest) should be allowed to fade from memory.

To forget what which has gone before or to distort the historic record of man's conduct would, I think, be to jeopardize any prospect of a future world free of conflict.....well we can hope can't we? Only a fool learns nothing from his mistakes.

.................Roger

p.s. Many thanks for the upload of WWII 'pics'
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 9th September 2013 at 07:17 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Jacyn for these photos, amongst all that suffering and invasions lay striking images of how important the Merchant Marine/Merchant Navy were in assisting the fighting forces and how they were always in the thick of it during beach head landings and without whom no such landings could ever have taken place. Thankfully for the American Merchant Marine their efforts were recognised by their Government from the early days until the present time, alas our Government has been, and still is, very remiss in its recognition of the valuable service provided by our Merchant Navy in similar circumstances, because as we know our Government is still unaware of what a Merchant Navy is.

Thank you again, some very sobering images, alas which probably will be of no interest whatsoever to the young

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many thanks for those very powerful photos of war.
    I have sent them to my American friends
    and also to my grandchildren so they will know about the sacrifices, the heroism and the cost in human lives just for their freedom.,
    The schools have airbrushed WW2 out of the history books,
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will never understand what made a Country the size of Japan think it could take on a Country the size of the United States and win.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You did not know what the Japs was like them days Colin .The Jap who planned the Pearl Harbour raid said they have woke up a sleeping giant

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for those incredible pictures Jacyn,Ihave sent them on to friends around the globe.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What fantastic if somewhat harrowing photos. The Australian Labor party has attempted to bring in a new history into schools, a history mainly based on social subjects such as the rise of the Union Movement and very little mention of the real history. A pity, for had it not been for thses brave sould it could be there would be no union movement today. You cannot change history by air brushing it away, remember the mistakes of the past lest you make them agian at a later date.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller