Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Education?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Education?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    . I had none during the war years and that always held me back.
    Brian
    Brian, your lack of education gave you that zest for life and knowledge which you used well to reach the pinnacle of your chosen path. You did yourself proud and are a credit to yourself and chosen profession and your sons should hold you in higher esteem than they do themselves, and if they are anything like you then of course they will. You have nothing to knock yourself about, except perhaps being so bloody accident prone it is dangerous just standing next to you!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

after I worked in the Bradford millthe boss gave me a chance to go into sales.....iworked hard tolearn about the differentcloths we sold and off I went....inthefirst week a clothing manufacturer...also a director of leeds football clubgave me an interview and sat with his secretary while I did my salespatter when I finishedhe asked me were I was educated I told redwellsecondary school south shields .......he said all icansay to you is ive never understood a word you've saidnow clear off and if you come back bring an interpreter.....hisbird laughed and not wanting to spoil my first week I walked out......it gave me incentive to educate my kids......we both worked very hard to do this....they are both now succesfull in careers and speech ......they are neither upper class middle class or any other class .......as I now realise am I.... some 10 years laterthe mans co went bust....iwent to his factoryto buy up anything I knew I could sell......iasked his price ....he told me ioffered him 10 percent of that price he said wot I said icantunderstand you have you got an interpreter I cant understand you he didn't remember but cappy did ps this is not a joke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vic.
    We have a quiz show every week night here in Aus, and I'm stunned at the ignorance of the people about their own country, even the quiz master looks at the camera with his eyebrows raised.
    I left school at 14 back in Wales and went to work in a tin works until I could go to sea; but though thick in maths and English, I was tops in general knowledge. I have lived in Aus for over 40 years and know more than some of the people who are native and born the same time as me, and many were teachers and headmasters, and as for the younger ones I don't know what's going to happen.
    Cheers Des
    redc.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

common sence should be first on the list some people i know have all the paper work but are thick as pig sh.t doing practical things? i myself had to learn to read and wright again at 55 and it was the hardest thing i have ever done in my life. after years of reading all kinds of things working with drawing all went in one day but you are never to old to learn but some don't want to and maybe some can't i stopped useing the spell check on this laptop thingy to make me think?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of the replies on quiz shows would bring tears to a glass eye. But the best ones are the 'it was before my time' when asked a question such as when was WW2? Their ignorance os simple facts makes me wonder just waht do they teach at school now?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Some of the replies on quiz shows would bring tears to a glass eye. But the best ones are the 'it was before my time' when asked a question such as when was WW2? Their ignorance os simple facts makes me wonder just waht do they teach at school now?
    Has anyone used that before my time on a history question

But can they beat these ? and these were from years gone by not the recent flood of brainless morons that fill the screen now

Stupid Game Show Answers - 100% Chance of Stupidity - YouTube

Top 5 stupid answers on Quiz shows - YouTube

Dumbest family ever - YouTube

It is entertaining and they don't have to pay out much in prizes but where do they find them ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJsd8uzDCFA eddited to add this last one not dumb but clips 2 and 4 made my eyes water :P
    Last edited by Rocky; 27th August 2013 at 08:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2