Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Old TV Commercials

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the man in black. not an advert but all the kids used to hide round corners and jump out saying this is the man in black. the Cadbury's milk tray advert which was copied by someone jumping over the railings leaving their wedding tackle on the fence.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From the early sixties in England I have vague recollection of the following.......'Purity' brand pork sausages from Ireland ( sung with an Irish lilt)........or then there was always the divine yet wholesome Katie to remind us that 'Oxo - gives a meal man appeal'. Another from that period, which for a while seemed to be on everybody's lips was....." Coates comes up from Somerset
    (pronounced Zummerzet) where the cider apples grow". Finally, from the late fifties, the closing lines of a toothpaste add.....As fresh as ice and twice as nice is the tingling taste of Gibb's SR,
    Tingling fresh and that's the proof, SR's good for teeth and gums - Get Gibb's SR ! The toothpaste to which this blurb applied, came in a tube much the same as MacLean's and Colgate of that era. It was, I thought, a welcome improvement (tastewise) on the product it superseded, a hard cake-like substance that came in a, shallow, round tin. It required the user to agitate the surface of the 'cake' with a wet toothbrush, thereby creating a paste which most users (particularly children) applied to their teeth with fearful trepidation. Effective, perhaps, but I always thought it tasted foul. Worst still, after use, if care was not taken to thoroughly rinse one's mouth, any residue would dry rapidly on the lips thus giving one the appearance of a pale-faced Kentucky minstrel (think Al Jolson without black make-up).

.............Roger

gray_marian Guest

Default Old Tv Commercials

Roger, Re tinned toothpowder and its residue made me laugh! bit of a passion killer that
    Last edited by gray_marian; 8th August 2013 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First time I've thought about those flat tins of caked tooth powder since back then Roger, you dragged that one out of the archives. I don't know about others on here but some of us may not have had a telly in our childhood days or youth. I know I was 13 before we got a telly, that would have been '61.
    Chris, your paraffin ad is resonating in my head. I remember the blue flame in the ad but for the life of me, that's all I can remember about it. I remember, as you say, it was a great ad at the time.
    Jim, your Shell ad brought back memories, thanks.
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default old tv

I know this is not a tv jingle , but it does come to mind at times and I keep reciting it to
    myself.

" her teeth were green and yellow,
    some were black as jet,
    if she had a red one,
    she would have a snooker set."

have sneaky feeling it was one of Benny Hills sketches.
    regards, stan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Old TV Commercials.

I remember going on holiday to Scarborough and going to the Spa to see the Wizard Of Oz with my wife and three lads.Cadburys were sponsoring it,kids were invited up onto the stage asked a question if they got it right they were given a selection box.My youngest was about 5 at the time was selected to go on the stage.He was asked the question "what is the sweet with the less fattening centre" ( the answer being Maltesers)he answered Polo which brought the house down.When he came back to his seat I said that was clever what made you think of that,he said the man told me to say that.What was Trebor mints jingle "Trebor mints are a minty bit stronger etc etc etc"I forget the rest,I know my kids having hijincks in the bedroom before going to sleep would sing among other things "Trebor mints are a minty bit stonger stick them up your bum and they'll last a lot longer"
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

youll wonder were the yellow went when you clean your teeth with pepsodent

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not if you have been at sea for 40 odd days nothing killed your passion

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Old TV Commercials.

I did the first Max Wilson cruise on the Empress Of Britain.As it was the first cruise he wanted to make a promo movie of it so they were all freeloaders Katie Oxo was there and many more from the TV adverts,we used to look around the restaurant trying to guess what adverts that they were off.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

leratty Guest

I can still hear the Buick advert in the US with the song 'a 66 Buick' problem is when I think of it it takes forever to get rid of out of my head.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast