Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hand me downs

leratty Guest

I was the younger brother so got all the hand me downs, it urinated me off, even bikes. When I was struggling though uni in the last year a friend of my fathers died in London so a mutual friend of his who kept a look out on me brought all his suits around for me. Being polite I was grateful saying many thank you's etc. As soon as he was off I had them wrapped up & off to Sally Anne's, ye Gods wearing a dead man's clothes! Like you Brian I have never worn 2nd hand clothing, shoes etc since. Must say would love to have seen you in your sisters gear, were they (the underwear) the old rompers like my sister had to have for boarding school? Oh the image is growing in my imagination...(: Reckon you would have looked a treat (:
    Last edited by leratty; 1st August 2013 at 12:58 PM.

gray_marian Guest

Default Hand me downs

Leratty, re your sister's rompers....my Aunt called her's 'man o' wars!' .......drawers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nazereth House!

Like Leratty
    I too was the younger Brother,and got a lot of Hand me Downs from him,but really didnt mind acyually,think at that time i was a bit too young to worry what i wore haha!
    Also we were poor them days so that played a part in me now minding,even though i was young i knew that Mum was battling to make ends meet!
    Dad had left us but we got through!
    Then the time came that Mum couldnt make it anymore and we were put in a home (Nazereth House Cape Town Catholic Orphanage) that was very awfull and hard to swallow!

Whilst there for 18Months , it was always the case of getting the Hand Downs from the older Boys there,i suppose those days the Nuns were also struggling to keep the place going??

But we survived,even with the lumpy Morning Porridge Yak!! and the dripping on the bread that always seemed to be a few days old! Oh my goodness what times we had in there! And not very good !!
    Oh well none the worse for wear nowdays,so it must have been good for us ?? haha!
    Ah! yes the good old days!@!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Poor ? Ha Ha !

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Like Leratty: Oh well none the worse for wear nowdays,so it must have been good for us ?? haha! Ah! yes the good old days!@!
    Cheers

This was poor: LINK: Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen - YouTube

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Like Leratty
    I too was the younger Brother,and got a lot of Hand me Downs from him,....
    What does not kill us makes us stronger, you survived Vernon and no doubt it set you up for life. Sometimes it takes a tough start to get us going, but once started we do very well.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The boy stood on the burning deck,
    His feet were covered in blisters.

He had no trousers to his back,
    so he had to wear his sisters.

Wretched!

Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

leratty Guest

Funny how these threads make you remember things. In my 2nd last year at boarding school my brother had left so I got a brand new set of shoes ha no hand me downs. It was the beginning of the pointed toe style so I went for it for sure not standard school style but what the hell . They were my 'go ashore shoes' anyway as a senior & a prefect we had new boys in our house to supervise, one could not hack it, boarding school in Yorkshire the wimp (: & did a runner. The turd stole my shoes to do his runner, well the head allowed me to get a new pair but only traditional style he instructed (must have noticed my shoes) they were Beau Brumell like..anyway as you all could understand I was seriously urinated off. Even now thinking about it it makes me mad, JC 50+ years ago how sad is that? That Monty Python Yorkshire men skit was one of their best almost as good as the dead parrot or the fish dance.
    Last edited by leratty; 3rd August 2013 at 02:16 PM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default The Secret Policeman's Ball:

The Secret Policeman's Ball benefit concert for Amnesty International, Her Majesty's Theatre, London, 30 June 1979. Saw this live: They did the Yorkshire men skit on the night amongst much more: Strangely hummed this song since: catchy - LINK: Tom Robinson - Glad To Be Gay (Secret Policeman's Ball) - YouTube

Found the Yorkshire men clip from then: LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhnLVos_iTY

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 3rd August 2013 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

tony we thought all blankets and sheets where made by cunard white star in liverpool??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hand me downs.

You were posh John,what I hated about our blankets was getting my finger stuck in the button hole or my foot stuck in the pocket.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast