Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: polaroid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default polaroid

Yesterday, to go with my new digi camera, I purchased a 'polaroid circular filter to mount on the front lens of the camera. Being a bit ignorant of such matters, and after being assured by those that 'know', I asked Google how the lens should be used. Well, what a load of gobbledegook!. With the sun at 45 deg to the camera, or, right astern, and perhaps somewhere else, rotate the lens so that the darkkened area is in the desired position, i.e. the sky, water, or whatever. So, with the sun shining, I sallied forth into the garden, turned the camera on, and looked into the LCD screen. Nothing! The sun was too bright. I then pressed the button to swap from LCD to EVF. Nothing. I couldnt make out whether any particular direction was darkening or not. Right, I would wait for a cloudy day. But then the expert tells me that polaroid lens don't work in the shade. during the course of trying to look into the EVF, I managed to knock my glasses off. They didn't bounce on the concrete. MORE Bxxxxx MONEY. Whats' a man supposed to do??Any-one want to buy a polaroid lens?

Colin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

colin. if you have a pond or can find some still water, ie a brook or stream you point your camera, with the lens attached of course, and rotate the lens until you can look into the water to take pictures of fish etc. it can also be used to take away or add a shine to furniture and other things. it has many uses. enjoy
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you point the camera at the sky and rotate the filter slowly you will see the sky darken.
    If you look at holiday brochures that how they get the bright dark blue sky.
    They best camera lens protection is an ultra violet filter, they are quite cheap and do not change any values of pictures take.
    If fitted they will protect the camera lens from getting scratched.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We always wore Polaroid sunglasses when we went boating in Fiji. You could clearly see the reefs below without the shimmer on the surface of the lagoons.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why did you buy it Colin, meaning what results were you trying to achieve? There are many types of filters, each with a specific use. As already stated, a polarized filter is specific to use when taking pictures with water in it. To get deep contrast in pictures with bright skies, you need to use an ND ( neutral density) filter which come in varying degrees of strength ( darkness). If all you want is to protect your lens, again as stated, a simple UV filter will achieve that without altering your exposure values although, it should be said that cheap filters will detract from the quality of your shot. There are filters and there are filters. Typically, a lens hood will give you the protection you need without slapping on a cheap piece of glass in front of a good lens. There are some excellent photography mags in the UK that offer good advice on all aspects of picture taking and, by reading some of those, you quickly learn what you may need or want to buy based on the type of pictures you want to take. Do not listen to sales people in the shops, half of them don't know what they are talking about and the other half know enough to steer you in the direction that offers them more good than you.
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default still rabbiting on about polaroids

Gentlemen, many thanks for your words of advice. Probably I should have explained my problem a bit more in detail. Firstly, I have a good pair of polaroid sun glasses. Now, when I am wearing them, if I look straight ahead, then I can see that the grass beneath my feet is richer in colour, the hedgerows are similar, and the tops of the trees are also richer and not shiny. The sky, especially where there is bits of cloud now look dark, as if the storm was coming. Query, if I have to rotate the polaroid camera lens for the desired effect, why is there a uniform polaroid effect looking through my glasses. Apart from that, I understand that a lot of digi cameras suffer from wash out in the LCD during sunny weather, but I also can't see through the EVF. Lastly, I have seen the effect of polaroid lens on photos, and take note that the effect is brilliant, i.e. water, sky, grass etc. It was to achieve this effect that I was co-erced? into purchasing the lens.
    Duke, I take note of what you say, and I must tell you that I was given a U/V filter by the shop where I bought the camera, and naturally I use it for the 2 very reasons you stated, mainly to prevent the cameras lens from getting scratched. To back up your words, after lunch today, the sun appeared for a few minutes and I took the lens out in the garden and aimed it at the sky---instant effect--dark sky, lighter grass, and reciprocal, rotate it and try to find where the dark sector is. I guess that what I will finish up doing, is, put the lens on, aim the camera and hope for the best.
    Again gentlemen, thanks to all of you,
    Regards
    Colin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have used one for a few years , the one I havee has the rotatoion degrees marked , go out on a sunny day take 8 photos same shot at the filter being ay at different angles look for the desired image , the lens is calibrated , I find different angles for water , sky , grass etc , by the time you have taken a few samples at different rotation and examined the portfolio , mark the angles on in photoshop or similar , then it is easy to know what to use
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all buy things which at the time appaer to be a good option, but not always. I saw an underwater camera at a very good price. I bougt it as Terri, my wife, is a very keen photographer even taking the camera to the shopping centres. I gave her the camera, he comments, 'you know I do not go swiming so waht use is it?' Some you just cannot win.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Swimming

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    . I gave her the camera, he comments, 'you know I do not go swiming so waht use is it?' Some you just cannot win.
    As you well know John, some women cannot just take a hint !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

mr strange. you could always push her in!! love to terri
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast