George
    in Southampton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Oldies

Hi George
    I am glad that you put this on site i am sure quite a few will really enjoy it!
    I did as it shows so much of the old days in London.
    There are some really good ones around,and it always amazes me just how they not only managed to take such good Films in those days but also how thay have managed to preserve them all as well!
    Cheers mate!
    Doc

Hope you will have a grand time at the Meet in Liverpool! As all the others too!
    I cant wait for 2014 George!!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default A bit later than 27:

This is an aerial view of the city of London around St. Paul's Cathedral:

London.jpg

Showing bomb-damaged areas in April of 1945.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi George and Doc,

Like you both, I was mightily impressed with the quality of this piece of film when I first saw it. In colour, it gives an uncanny realism to London as it was 75 years ago, before Hitler and the madcap venture of modern developers erased much of the character of this old city. Whilst I thank you, George, for posting this, I'm afraid that K of T beat you to it about two or three days ago. However, quality such as this is, surely, worth another viewing. Looking at the northern skyline, at the very beginning of the film, had me wondering just how many of the spires and buildings on view managed to survive the 'blitz' 13 years later. As you may have guessed, I deplore some of the structural change that has been made to the London I once knew. Of course, I understand that time marches on and we cannot stand in the way of 'progress', but I do so wish the change inflicted upon this great city could be less radical. I'm afraid I see no beauty in the phallic symbolism of the 'Shard' and similar architectural monstrosities. There are those who gaze upon such buildings in wondrous awe, but any appeal they may have is completely lost on me. Apparently, I've fallen victim to that 'disease', the one that afflicts so many as we reach middle age (and beyond), namely, Chronic Nostalgia. Nevertheless, I resent the fact that we, with nary a whimper, are expected to embrace and applaud these nightmares of modern design, foisted upon us by the 'inspired' tastelessness that seems so prevalent in modern architecture, a trend so eagerly encouraged by the mindless, shortsightedness, of cashed-up developers with an unquenchable thirst for greater wealth. Welcome to the 'new' enlightened age, people. Aaaagh ! .....I feel so much better after that little rant

..............Roger
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 16th May 2013 at 03:24 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Keith's Post??

Hi Roger
    I must have missed that post of Keith's normally i do see all posts by him,so dont know where i was ! Never do anyway haha!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great piece of film but wonder if it was origonaly in colour or doctered later.
    Roger, whilst I can see your point of view the fact is that sadly the world moves on and we have two choices, go with it or remain locked in the past. Much of the modern day architecture is not to my liking, we have one piece here in Melbourne thta is covered in camoflage, but the fact is that is the modern trend.
    None of it has the charecter of the older buildings and most likely never will, but it is the trend of today. Thankfuly very little of the older buildings have been removed to accomodate the newer style, so the two now have to live sie by side, though maybe not in harmony I fear.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bow Bells and Jellied eels

What a privilege to see this film. During three months in London over the winter of 47/48 I was riding practically every bus, including the Silvertown trolley bus from Aldgate East past Gardener's Corner (where I bought my first detachable lined Mackintosh) with it's sharp frontage like a ship's bow, along Commercial Road.

My father was born in Towers Hamlet Hospital and lived in Forest Gate and except for the ravages of war much was little changed from the 23 year earlier when he packed his swag and left Tilbury on the SS Benalla on a one way voyage at 1/- (one shilling) a month to Australia. There were still some those double decker buses in use that had the stairs on the outside at the back.

I would walk for miles - up The Strand, around Aldwych where the trams ran underground, down Fleet Street past the Old Bailey down the dip of Ludgate Hill and up the other side to St Paul's Cathedral. On the left was just ground level rubble nearly all the way up to St Pauls. Rationing was still on, pea soup fogs were so thick that you had to walk touching the buildings to keep on the footpath. Salmon Lane 'Mish' like the inside of a jail and a couple of big fat juicy kippers for tea for 1/6.

Looking around our city today, which could be any city - an old bloke couldn't be blamed for asking "Stop the World... I want to get off!" As for me I want to stay on for the ride - I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to see if, like a cold, it gets better.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 16th May 2013 at 12:40 PM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ist went to 0z 1957 circular quay was just old railway sleepers remember it well because picking up a cae of beer a splinter went though my nail and out of my knuckle there was no skyscrapers then just the rocks area etc went back on holiday32 years later to the bicentennial all sky scrapers all round could have been anywere in the world cant tell one country from another now all look the same....most have lost therecharacter but I suppose its progress cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi Richard. while you were riding the trolleybus around Aldgate, Aldgate east, all get off, I was at Gravesend. I was also at the madhouse(skating rink) in Leytonstone around that time. my first ship was P&O and we had to buy all our uniforms, white coats, trousers, white shoes, peaked cap and white cover, epaulettes (and I was only a bell boy) at Gardeners of Gardeners corner, so brings back more memories. the film was very good, my thanks to George
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank's Roger for pointing out that KT had beaten me with this Film Clip. My appologies To you KT for doubling up on the same issue. But like the Doc I hadn't seen it, so thought it was right to put it on site. I have to agree with the sentiments passed regards modern buildings. But how much was down to the foundations of our old buildings being badlly disterbed during the air rades of WW2?????. Perhaps we brought our kids to many Lego set's
    George
    in Southampton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast