Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1927 Film of London

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well remember the trolley buses around the Woolwich and Greenwich area, and the trams. Clanking along they were a great form of transport never having to worry about traffic jams. Long gone now, sad to say, but here in Melbourne we still have them but little character to them as in the case of the old London ones.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy, here is a very old photo of Circular Quay and one of the City streets. Many years ago some brainless wonders put an elevated roadway and train station right across the top of it. Here it is now.

And Alf, John. On the other side of London at that time I stayed with my aunt and uncle in Greenford avenue, Hanwell. I had the use of a cousin's bicycle and rode across through Boston Manor to the Richmond skating rink. I met a lass there from Teddington and we would go skating. Pedaling back from Teddington to Hanwell late at night the roads were empty except for the odd car or bus - it was great. Oh yes, the bus from around Teddington was a old trolly if I remember rightly and it had a single headlight.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Longpom

Log on to British Council (films) some great films, shot mostly in the late 1930 to the late 1950, some of interest to x merchant seamen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

good photos Richard always had a soft spot for anything oz agreat country some very good memorys think I drunk my first rum and cloves in oz and probably the the only rum ,,,,no sorrydid the white rum in Barbados as well on holliday once could do with some sunshine here 11am and 9degrees c its our summer of course best to you regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default British Council Films

Just opened up Steel Goes to Sea (1941) on Vimeo and WOW! Have to go and see more. Thank you Bob.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Richard, there was one good thing about the trams and your late night ride home reminded me of it. If you were not sure of the way just get the front wheel of your bike into the tram lines and away you go.
    Back in the early 60's a good friend of mine worked in the Marble bar, a big bar in Oxford street. Go back in 1986 and the bar is gone. Afetr some enquires I discover the actual bar top is now the front counter of a big hotel.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

British Steel, what a wonderful piece of film. All those skills now long gone and more's the pity. It shows just how good British ship building was back then, now lost forever I fear. Modern ship building skills are vastly different, but there was great pride in those days, a pride I fear is now long gone.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Canary Wharf:

Remarkable photographs of Canary Wharf show how busy financial centre was once a thriving port taking in sugar, rum and elephants:

West India Docks was the largest and most expensive building project in world when built in late 18th century
    Manual workers would queue at dock gates for 'call-on' when some would be chosen to do backbreaking work
    Docks heavily bombed during the Blitz and after WWII warehouses were replaced by modern storage sheds
    Now the financial hub of Canary Wharf stands in the area across 97 acres where 93,000 people are employed

Read more: Canary Wharf: How a busy financial centre was once a thriving port taking in sugar, rum and elephants | Mail Online

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2