Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Members that sailed together.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Members that sailed together.

This has never been asked before, at least not that I am aware of. Who among our crew has sailed with other crew members here? I'll start, AJ Hawker and I sailed on the Moss tanker, Luxor, together (separate cabins, I might add) on a trip to Bonny, Nigeria in '65 (The DR's were his fault).
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed with Norman Williams (Rocky) who joined this site a few days ago. He was an ass/std and I was galley boy on the Eagle Oil Tanker San Fernando. This was in 1957/58. Happy days.

John Albert Evans

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default san fernando

just wondered did you ship out of shields on the san fernandoa best buddy of mine was an os in that time span allan jenson a big happy soul from shields sadly long gone but never fpgotten bumped into him in ba at the time regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry cappy i didnt, but did work by the San Leonardo for about four weeks in dry dock in Wallsend and then sailed on her from there as Second Steward and I must say that I had a fantastic time while I was there. North and South Shields, Whitely Bay,Wallsend, I have a photo of myself and a lot of the crew who sailed on the San Leonardo it was taken in the Black Bull in Wallsend.I suppose that that pub has long been closed as it was in 1959. If you want i'll find the photo and put it on here you might recognise someone you never know.

John Albert Evans.
    Last edited by John Albert Evans; 5th May 2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: oops spelt my own name wrong

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yer like most of the old pubs they seem to have gone must say in a few of them it was for the better yes id like to see your photo something sadly I never did that world will never come back or the characters we we had and were in it but what a time we had regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed with Colin Duke on the Port St John 1949/50 and again on the Gothic 1952/53. Colin contacted me after 57 years when I wisely joined this site in August 2010. We are delighted to have renewed that friendship and communicate regularly.

Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Geez, 57 years, who would have thought Richard. Have you hooked up yet or are you on different continents?
    I stumbled on the old site in 2008 I think it was, maybe earlier, and had a look through the members list. That's when I saw AJ's name listed. Other than shore passes, I had very few pics from my time on the boats but of the 2 or 3 I had, one of them was one I took of AJ sitting on the poop of the Luxor and fortunately I had written his name on the back of the pic. We hooked up at a reunion in the Atlantic 3 or 4 years ago. We really are a tight knit community, eh! Even when we're at each others throats in the mess, nothing changes, does it. It's a privilege to be part of it.
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We couldn't have been much further away. Colin lives in Eastbourne UK whilst I am in NSW Australia. I had pictures of him when we took a couple of girls I knew to Luna Park amusement centre in Sydney and of him in Melbourne. He had the same pictures!!

He asked me if I see if a fellow shipmate Ron he had seen some years earlier when he (with wife) had visited and stayed for a few days with Colin way, way back. I struck a dead end and went to the Search Column in the Sydney Daily Telegraph and someone saw it and told Ron. We have a great link up now which I will elaborate on the remarkable outcome in another post as it is time I get dinner on (Margaret and I split the chores). I suppose in a day or so.

Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Old shipmates

When I joined the old Old Friends Plus site in 2006 Brian used to publish a list of lads who sailed on a certain ship. I typed in the good ship MV Huntingdon and there was the name of a bloke 5 years my senior who showed me the ropes at sea and on board. His name is Ron Smith and unfortunately he no longer partakes in our internet conversations, However due to that contact point we re- established our friendship. We dwell the width of the Pacific apart, he in Vancouver and myself in Melbourne. He flew down with his wife Bertie in 2006 and we had a great time . I still have to return the visit when circumstances allow. There is a pic in the gallery showing a couple of old fogies 48 years after the terrible piss ups we had back then. We chat most days via this medium. Thanks for the link Duke.
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    yer like most of the old pubs they seem to have gone must say in a few of them it was for the better yes id like to see your photo something sadly I never did that world will never come back or the characters we we had and were in it but what a time we had regards cappy
    black bull.jpg

Cappy,
    This is the only photo I can find. It was taken at the Black Bull, Wallsend on 21st December 1958 the night before we sailed on the Eagle OiL (T2) Tanker San Leonardo. from Wallsend to Curacao. I'm the one in the middle holding the bottle of beer. The man to my left was the Sec/Cook he was from Liverpool as was the man to his left He was known as Paddy, asst/std. Liverpool.The man in the front on the left (Photo unfortunately damaged) was Bob Palfreyman, 2nd/Std. Him and I were good mates. His daughter came on line on this site earlier last year asking for anone who knew him as he had sadly crossed the bar. I did reply to her but I dont know if i did it correctly as I didnt get a reply. I cann't remember the name of the other men on the photo. It was a really good ship, crew and trip we were away for six months and paid off in Thameshaven.

John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast