Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Members that sailed together.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hello john thanks for the photo it looked like a good night but then as you no you have to make themost of your time ashore like most ports the tyne was full then of good bars and bonny lasses .cantsee any one I know but it is so reminicsentof those days we sailed the world and didn't give a toss for any but our own like brothers remember coming from my 1st trip had about 60 pounds wheni showed it to my father he went in the kitchen he had never seen 60 pounds before we were truly kings and still are only the world has changed thanks to you cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Members that sailed together.

Looking back you could've sailed with a guy for 2 years he may have been your best mate but you never knew his name.Why was that you may ask? the reason being he may have been the only Scouser,Jock,Paddy or Taff on board or he may have had red hair which gave him the name Ginger.So he became Scouse,Jock,Taff,Paddy or Ginger I bet many of you can remember shipmates that you only knew as this pseudonym and have no idea of his name.Did any of you ever sail with a steward from Lancaster red haired guy the image of Micky Rooney,I only remember him as Ginger I've no idea of his name.We were in Jamaica,this Jamaican popped his head through the pantry port hole and said hey you Mickey Rooney,Ginger replied F**k Off Nat King Cole I was on the deck in bulk in laughfter.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How true this is - my little mate on my first trip was Tich, the second steward was Second, the carpenter was chippy - it goes on. There's quite a few old pals that could still be old pals otherwise but it was a sort of comrade title.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great thread idea, Duke. Has the potential to become a 'classic' ! thank you........................Have sailed with two other members that I know of, firstly, there is Tony 'Vince' Wren. Vince was an A.B. and I a J.O.S., when, for a year, we were shipmates on the 'Port Huon' (engaged on the M.A.N.Z. run, Dec.1957 - Dec.1958). We've been in contact and through Vince I 've also been in touch with Johnny Aldous (a non-member) who was also an A.B. with us on the 'Huon. Vince and John were good mates then and remain so after 55 years. My other old shipmate, is John BOYS, who was an A.B. with me on Ellerman's ' Mercian' in 1960, when we were engaged on the London - Oporto run - plenty vino !!! ( too much, sometimes ). John remained with the company and went on to become bosun on the 'Lucian' (sister-ship to the Mercian) for several years. We now keep in touch from time to time. I remain grateful to Brian P. for giving us this site which has provided me with the opportunity to re-connect with old shipmates..................Roger.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have sailed with a couple, RLT was one beut he was deck whilst I was catering. King Kong was on a BP tanker same time as me but again different departments. But have worked with a Ginger, no not that kind, a titch, the maltese Falcon, winger from Malta, mad jock second engineer and afew others. No doubt their parenst gave the manes, so did we but it often began with a B..............
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ship List

Sounds good to me, but will you have the space/time

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your comments Roger. Your post reminded me of another question that I've pondered when seeing the acronym M.A.N.Z. What does it stand for. I figure that the N.Z. is Kiwi...?
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Duke, Roger this could be an easy quiz. I was on two Port Line ships MANZ ships and won't compete. The winner will get a free shout from Roger and I but you'll have to pay your own fares out here.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a great idea. Perhaps under the headings of the the shipping company along with their ships and in view of the nick-names, photographs of crew encouraged and nick names (where printable!) as well as the ones on their papers. The inclusion of companies and ships of Canada, USA and Australia for example, where many of us now and in the future have also crewed, might be considered.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 7th May 2013 at 11:49 AM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Duke....your #19 refers.

I believe the 'M.A.N.Z. run' was set up by Port Line, Blue Star, and one or two other British shipping companies back in the late 40's or 50's. It's purpose was to provide a regular service on the trade routes between North America, Australia and New Zealand. The acronym stood for Montreal - Australia - New Zealand, which loosely described the 'loop' covered by the service, however, in practice, it included N.Y., Boston and many other east coast ports in the U.S. Apart from Richard and Y.T., I think Les (Woodard) and a few other lads on here worked on that trade at one time or another.

............Roger

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast