Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Down the plug hole

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default unplugged

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    I notice that this post has had 41 hits and yet not one opinion,sometimes I wonder if it's worth posting!!!.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Jim, one has to give these things a little time, after all it is Sunday and a lot of the chaps will be out to Sunday lunch with their families (obligations), probaly imbibed a couple and then sleeping it off in the afternoon, so Sunday is, I have noticed, always a quiet response day. It isn't that people aren't interested they are, but perhaps playing with the grandchildren comes first, probably as a result of that shout "are you going to be on that bloody computer all day?".

I have always understood that in the Northern hemisphere the water rotates to the right and left in the Southern. There have been numerous programmes showing this and in PSNC we noticed it as we traversed up and down the coast. The capital city Quito in Ecuador is on the equator and has a long bar with sinks at each end and the water rotates in opposite directions on most days, apparently there are a few days when it doesn't, no one knows why.

It is always worth posting Jim and posing questions because if we don't then we don't learn anything new (or old), but sometimes the person or persons who may have the answers may be indisposed or on holiday or has assumed that someone else has answered it and it has not yet shown up in the forum, so keep em coming Jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Down the plug hole

Well jim the water goes down the plug hole from right to left in Dunedin and that is not gin talking AHAH Most of the plugs in my house are the ones with a cap you press down so it is hard to say which way the water goes down the plug hole

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pension

Ref. post 2. Unless no one has replied. If he was on British registered ships he would have had deducted from his wages compulsory deductions during his time ar sea. He will be entitled to a pension or a cash return of his contributions as he was an Engineer he would have been in the MNOPF (Merchant Navy Officers Pension Fund) for those who dont like abbreviations. He will have a pension number somewher but if he has lost write to them and ask for his money which is lying in the fund and has been accumalating interest.If he goes on the website Welcome to Merchant Navy Officers Pension Fund he will find all the details Cheers John Sabourn P.S. Welcome to Merchant Navy Officers Pension Fund

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MNOPF

Tried putting web site address up but just comes up welcome to the MN pension. However if he still cant get through to I will hunt through papers and find their address and phone number. Cheers John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Plug Hole

Agree with Brian. Would be disappointed if found out this was false. John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If he was at sea like the rest of us he should maybe contact two Jags, infamous politician, whom I am lead to believe knows a lot about what happened to the MN pension fund.
    As to the plug hole, it goes right to left down here in Oz as for the rest of the world I cannot say. But weather here mainly comes from the west, whereas in the Northen hemisphere I think it comes from the east.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MNOPF

The MNOPF is still in funds John. The Person who has money there would have been in the old part of the pension Fund and was until this year invested in different things. However they are changing the structure of the fund so I would advice him not to hang around and get his legitimate claim in. I wish I had been in Australia before I was, as their pension schemes were very lucrative, especially the Seamans one. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Happens to us all Jim , posting something you think will be interesting then getting no reaction.

Plug hole thing is due to the earth's coreolis effect which is just the result of the earths rotation
    and the inertia of a body within the effect.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a copy from my REEDS OCEAN NAVIGATOR showing the currents in North and South Atlantic and the Pacific.
    This is the way water goes down your plug hole.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is an Urban Myth when people say that water going down plug-holes flow a different way north and south of the Equator The belief is based on the Coriolis effect an apparent deflection of moving objects which is related to the Earth's daily rotation on its axis.
    The effect kicks in when someone on a rotating surface watches an object move across the same rotating surface. Think about spinning on a playground roundabout and throwing a ball to another rider. To people on the roundabout the ball appears to follow a curved path. Anyone on solid ground sees it go in a straight line.
    The Earth spins much more slowly so the apparent force its rotation generates only becomes significant over large distances or long times. You don't worry about the Earth's rotation when you play tennis or take a football penalty.

I Believe Coriolis was a French scientist and this was discovered by him in 1835 , and is what causes the weather systens in teh Northern abd southern hemispheres to differ in their flow direction , but as I am sure there are people here better qualified to talk about the weather , I'll leave that one to them !
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast