Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: short of rope?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default short of rope?

Whilst watching Worlds Strongest Man on ch. 5 last night, the camera swung round to show the Queen Mary at her berth in Long Beach, Calif. The first time it showed the ship, I sensed that something appeared not to be right. The second time, I twigged it. The Queen Mary only had one head rope off the foc'sle, and as far as I could see, no breast lines or springs. I would have thought a ship such as her would have been worthy of a few more mooring lines, unless some-one is anticipating an insurance claim!! has any-body else noticed this?

New year greetings to all;
    Colin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default QM and mooring ropes

Hi Colin,
    Bad time to be asking questions when most o are asleep or suffering from Christmas overload ! I am ashamed to say this but I was on board her a few years ago and I always got the impression that she was secured mechanically to the hard stuff but I could be wrong. If you visit the E/R they have a cut-out in the hull adjacent one of the props and there is a mock-up of a diver doing some underwater welding, so she appers to be down to her marks ?
    Somebody on here is bound to know.
    Happy New Year to you and all
    Kevin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I think I can help out here, as I worked on her in Long Beach for nearly twenty years, ending up as operations manager, retiring in 2009.

Many people think she is aground, but she is floating, and rises and falls with the modest tides we have here. She is surrounded by a rock breakwater, but the water percolates through the rocks allowing the water to keep clean. Regarding the mooring lines, there are four breast lines attached to eye's on the waterline, so in most pictures of her you wont see them. She also has four spring lines, two leading forward, and two aft, again attached to eye's at the waterline. There is just a single bow and stern line leading from the bitts on the bow and stern. So as you see she is well secured, and in all the years there, even in the most severe weather (Not that we get much!) I have only seen her move mere inches.

I hope this answers your questions

Cheers

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She does tend to move in a circular manner sometimes.
    Last January after John had gone home after a few beers in the Observation Bar, two more friends turned up one from Seattle and another from Arizona. several whiskys later I went to my State Room, and I noticed my bed was moving in a circular manner around the room. after passing me five times I tried to leap aboard it and missed as it moved past me,
    I broke my knee and had to be on a walking stick for the next three months.
    I think that had something to do with insufficient moorings. Maybe next time I am staying on board I will insist they put out a couple more backsprings. to keep her steady.
    Cheers John,
    Brian.

Tony Morcom Guest

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rope

What can we say but "God Bless America" for saving our heritage.

Pity we cannot save our own

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Amen!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She is well worth a visit and stay a while. Lovely ship to stay on, and better and cheaper than most hotels in the LA area. I always enjoy staying there. I feel at home. Long may she stay there.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default long beach

hi brian ilove going aboard the mary when ivisit my sister in los alimitos cal last time 2yrs ago i have a great photo of myself at the wheel witch as you no are sparkling bright more than i can say for the lifeboats falling apart but shes a great sight are american cousins love it off this story brian r you relative to a brian aspinal he was a pipeing supiviser in the construction industry i went into after coming ashore i did the rigging and erecting he was from your area all the best for 2013 brian kelly rigger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rigger,
    Glad you likes the QM , This year a lot of work has been done to the life boats and they all have been painted so she is in good condition.
    I am Brian Aspinall, but not the one you are referring to. I was a Rigger and Steel Erector, in 1962 for a couple of years when I went ashore to get married. I worked for BOOTHS STEEL in Bolton but we travelled all over the country, building Factories and Bridges etc. Did the motor way one over the Manchester Ship Canal when the beam fell and eleven men went down with it and were killed, built some power stations, they were Big jobs, a mate Tommy Jackson fell 150 feet onto his head, not a pretty sight, at Sheffield Power Station.
    I left after my last injury of five broken ribs, I could not imagine doing it for life. so I became a Sales Rep, then went back to sea where I belonged, I was happy again. The wife wasnt so she ran off with a mate of mine, now its hell for them both.
    So Thats me Rigger,
    Cheers AND ALL THE BEST FOR THE NEW yEAR.
    Brian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast