Thread: Motoring Organisations (breakdown and rescue)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Motoring Organisations (breakdown and rescue)

Just thought that the following might be worth sharing.

I have been a member of such organisations of and on for about 40+ years. I am currently with the one that calls itself the “3rd Emergency Service”!! To join costs about £30 for the basic cover. At renewal time the cost goes up to about £58. For the past 4 years, when I get my renewal notice, I give them a call, tell them to cancel my membership and hey presto they renew it for £30 !!! One simple phone call, one simple statement…..saves £20.

Gulliver Guest

Thumbs up They don't like you leaving.... so Be Money Smart

Well done,Russ.I employ the same tactic with my BT Internet /Phone service.I send them a polite e-mail telling them that it's unfair on their existing customers like myself to pay such high rates,when they are touting for new customers by offering them a huge discount for six months.,especially in view of their high profits.I always hint that I am having thoughts about shopping around for a cheaper package.Result -I always get a cheaper package ,providing I accept a new 12 month contract-which I would do anyway ! I don't want the hassle of changing providers !
    Works every time ,saving me on average about £10 every month !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do exactly the same with my car insurance, this year when the renewal came through, i phoned and asked if this was the cheapest they could offer, and surprise surprise, it was even cheaper than the previous year. They just bank on you writing another cheque. KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was told by my brother in law who was in the "AA" (No not drink people.)
    As he called them out when he was on the road to me, that they were putting the price up as he had called them out.
    I have all the family cars with the Britannia Rescue and the price has never changed.
    So I was wondering If that's the case with you.
    It's worth shopping around as we all know .
    Ron the batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ron,
    I can only ever remember calling the AA out once, and as far as my memory goes (which is not far these days!!!!!) they didn't put the membership price up. I seem to remember however, that I used to get a discount for no "call outs", but that also seems to have died out. Not that it matters now that a phone call gets about a 40% discount.
    Just out of interest, I took a similar approach with B Gas when I was looking to replace the C/H boiler. Initial quote was about £2800, then it came down to £2300 with their "special" discounts. I basically said no, I'll go elsewhere, result a final quote of £1900. That beat a local company quote by £400. End of successful negotiations!!
    Regards Russ.