Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nice hotel in London

Gulliver Guest

Unhappy Oh Dear,I made a 'Scanty Assumption'...? Sorry.

I do indeed remember them John -and I never did,(well not when it came to the ColRegs -Collision Regulations )but forgive me if I am wrong,we were all exhorting and helping you to stop smoking a few months ago?.
    May I make the assumption (scantily or otherwise) that you have managed to stop smoking?

If so,well done my friend--the choice of London accommodation will now be unlimited for you !

Best Regards
    Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    as earlier advised by Jim, try the "Premier Inns" decent clean rooms pretty cheap as well, sometimes as low as £20 a night for a double room, many of them in the suberbs of London, the breakfast cost approx £7.50 extra, and sometimes all you can eat.
    Look on their website they have plenty of choices. There is a new one just opened in Bromley, just a 5 min stroll down to Bromley South Station and 20mins later your at Victoria Station in central London 5 mins walk to Buckinham Palace.
    Best of luck & have a nice time
    Last edited by Graham Payne; 16th November 2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. Looking forward to our visit and it will be our first trip through the chunnel.

We're still struggling on the hotel side.

And yes David , I can say I've stopped though it's a very tentative clutch I have on the straw.

Wife wants to visit Harrods , anyone have any excuses I can use ?.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nice Hotel London

John if you are coming by car, then I would follow Graham's suggestion and plumb for somewhere around Bromley or Sevenoaks, unless you have an electric car or hydbrid congestion charges are horrendous as are parking charges. Trains from Sevenoaks/Bromley are frequent and "fairly reasonable" Premier Inns are a bit upmarket from Travelodge but with both I've never had a bad one travelling around these sceptred Isles, basic, but always clean sheets, your own facilities and tea/coffee making facilities in the room, which are always appreciated after a long drive (where I live is a long drive to anywhere!), no breakfasts in Travelodge (except Kings Cross)but always somewhere adjacent. A lot depends on your budget, I always take the view We'll be out most of the day so why pay for an expensive hotel (sometimes with poor service) unless it's a special occasion.

Harrods, if you haven't been for a long time, it's worth a visit, the Food Hall is always a treat for the eyes, very rarely a treat for the stomach because of the cost, and the Ice Cream parlour has ridiculous prices but eye watering creations. There are a couple of nice, reasonably priced cafes on the lower ground floor, but if you've won the lottery take your wife to the roof garden for lunch

Have a good trip

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we have stayed in travelodge at london city airport and premier inn at beckton a fair distance from city centre but both 5 minute walk to docklands light rail stations,very good value for money

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have heard Graham that there are a number of 'five star' hotels in that area. Most can be seen through the holes in the roof.
    Only $20 for the double room, but is it extra to have a bed in there as well?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default London hotels

John
    Try the IBIS chain. We were in London a few years ago and got an excellent deal there. Its within walking distance of Victoria Coach station and they even threw in free parking at a nearby NCP parking spot.
    Alternatively try Late Rooms dot com or my eldest is always getting good deals from Expedia.
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default hotels

Hi John, I don't know if the M.N. hotel in Lancaster Gate, (10 mins. walk from Paddington) is still there. Stayed there a few times, very comfy!
    Colin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Colin , got a letter from them way back in 2006 saying they were closing , their web site is also gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2