Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Storm??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry John, Claudine Christian was not the Captain, just a crew member. The Captain was Captain Robin Walbridge from St Petersburg, he is still missing I am afraid.

Chris.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I apologise for any confusion I may have caused re the death of thre Captain of the Bounty. I was reiterating what I had just read in the Mail on line.
    I had read Tonys no9 Thread.
    John Albert Evans.

Tony Morcom Guest

In fairness the Mailonline has a very good report which is well worth looking at HERE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

Lower manhattan is still flooded , the shores of Brooklyn got it bad ,and 50 homes in Queens are on fire ,still 4 mil people without power ,subways flooded lower manhattan ,fire island lost a number of homes .preety bad disaster . Romney told the press that if he were President he would have stopped the storm from coming on land

Tony Morcom Guest

Just watching those fires on Sky News Neville. A kick in the teeth for those with houses damaged or destroyed by the Hurricane / Cyclone / storm. Insurance policies usually show a $500 excess (called deductibles in the USA) Hurricane inflicted damage carries a $15,000 excess (deductibles) These figures based on a $300,000 value home which I guess is probably a fair average.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is the Bounty that I went on board in Seattle in August 1990, the best five Dollars I spent. A very interesting ship.
    I asked if I could go aloft and was refused. I was offered a place in the crew when I told them I was a Seafaring man
    But unforunately had to decline as I was on leave from my own ship. Now that would have been a wonderful experience.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always been my dream to sail on a tall ship.
    Too late now I guess.
    Been aboard quite a few when they visited our part of the world.
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re. Hurricane Insurance

Tony,

F.Y.I.. My house is insured against wind,hail, tornadoes, cyclones, named storms and hurricanes. Wind damage is an addition to normal house insurance and comes with a choice of deductables ($1000.-2000-3000). There are maximums some insurance companies will pay out for repairs. The deductables and maximums obviously effect the premium to the home owner. I have a $1000 deductable and have additional coverage on the dwelling at 125% replacement cost. I also have full replacement plus 125% on personal effects. As South Carolina is on an earthquake fault (though extremely rare) I carry earthquake insurance, that has a 5% deductible. So in my case I am fully covered, less $1000, for both dwelling and contents. Though the premium is expensive, my children are paying for the coverage (though they are not aware of it).

Cheers, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was very lucky to have been a senior member of the crew of the Prince William, an experience I shall treasure.

Chris.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always been my dream to sail on a tall ship.
    Too late now I guess.
    Been aboard quite a few when they visited our part of the world.
    Den.

Hi Den I was in Fremantle and sailed on the Leeuwin, a sailing ship, square rigged on the foremast. A full days sailing in a stiff breeze into the Indian Ocean. I lept aloft with others and out on the yard and furled sails , heave away by hand to hoist the mainsail. etc. Enjoyed every minute. I was 72 then , did it to prove I still could.
    I went to it again this year in Fremantle but it was just lying alongside with no one on board.

Way back in 1958 I was shanghaied on a topsail schooner out of Curacao, I was there on the AURIS, an experimental pure gas turbine tanker just doing experiments for the engine, it was not a commercial voyage, I got bevied with a bunch of Dagoes and next morning I awoke on a coil of rope on the deck of a sailing ship.
    The crowd watching me as I awoke, `Que Pasa, ` I shouted, Que Pasa Nada, they replied, we were bound for Venezuala and many other places, I learned to sail a topsail schooner and loved it. We returned to Curacao around six weeks later, the AURIS was still there,
    Old Captain Brown was amazed when I told him where I had been, He had started his career under sail. He gave me a case of beer and then said, send a telegram home to your family, they think you have been drowned.
    Good fun.
    Brian

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast