Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 'Famous' Seamen of our Heyday..let's remember them !

Gulliver Guest

Lightbulb 'Famous' Seamen of our Heyday..let's remember them !

Like many I know this nostalgic compilation about of ‘one of us’ ex merchant seamen will please and inform you. There’s even a chance that someone here (just)may have sailed with him.
    I’m afraid my nearest memory of the gentleman I have is,at junior school age hearing my Dad sing a rendition of ‘Story of my Life.,and also hearing Holliday sing the theme tune to the cowboy puppet show’ Four Feather Falls’ on our early rented TV.

My Dad was good though--he could also sing good impressions of Sinatra,Matt Munro ,Perry Como et al.Me? I didn’t inherit his vocal genes, at all and even today I can’t even sing ‘Happy Birthday’ without a half dozen key changes,and all the dogs in the neighbourhood starting howling and barking….

On with the story….

Fifties Crooner MICHAEL HOLLIDAY

Born NORMAN ALEXANDER MILNE 26/11/24 Liverpool
    Died Croydon 29/10/63( aged 38 years young) Buried Anfield Cemetery,Liverpool
    Dis A No..R360440( I looked that up!)

STORY OF MY LIFE -You Tube

Michael Holliday emerged as a singing star in late-'50s England, at approximately the same time that Lonnie Donegan, Cliff Richard, and Billy Fury began tearing up the U.K. charts, but he couldn't have represented a more different brand of music. For four years, from 1956 through 1960, Holliday bade fair to be England's top male singing star, with a smooth, pleasing baritone singing style that was often compared to Bing Crosby.

He was born Norman Alexander Milne in Liverpool on 26/11/24 ,brought up in Kirkdale ,and never considered music as a career. His first known interest was when he won an amateur talent contest, ‘New Voices of Merseyside’, at the Locarno Ballroom, West Derby Road, Newsham, Liverpool
    It was during a stint as a merchant seaman in the late '40s/beginning of the 50’s that he discovered his talent for entertaining, mostly in front of his shipmates. Fate took a hand when he landed in New York and won a talent competition at Radio City Music Hall. Upon his return to England, he secured his release from the merchant service and decided to become a singer. He took the name Michael Holliday and was hired as a singer and guitarist with the Eric Winstone Band. In 1955, he was signed as a solo artist to EMI's Columbia label by producer Norrie Paramor.
    Holliday enjoyed modest successes with his covers of "Yellow Rose of Texas" and "Sixteen Tons." "Nothin' to Do" was his first Top 30 hit, in March of 1956, and he made the Top 20 with the double-sided hit of "The Gal With Yeller Shoes" and "Hot Diggity (Dog Ziggity)" later that same year. Holliday's chart action for the next year was relatively modest, his covers of songs such as "Love Is Strange," "Four Walls," and "Old Cape Cod" performing unexceptionally.
    At the end of 1957, however, he recorded an early Burt Bacharach/Hal David composition called "The Story of My Life," which had already been a hit in America for Marty Robbins, which soared to number one in England in a 15-week ride on the charts, overcoming three competing British versions. Holliday also showed an unexpected ability as a composer, getting one of his own songs onto the B-side. With his soothing vocal style and good looks, Holliday seemed a natural for a screen career, but apart from an acting role in Val Guest's comedy Life Is a Circus, he never tried for a big-screen career. On television, however, he was a regular guest on variety programs, as well as singing the title theme from Gerry Anderson's puppet series ‘Four Feather Falls’. He also had his own program, called (appropriately enough) ‘Relax With Mike‘. He enjoyed further modest hits with "In Love" and "I'll Always Be in Love With You" and once again soared on the U.K. charts with "Stairway of Love," a 13-week entry that hit number three. "Starry Eyed" was another number one hit for Holliday in 1960 and he had more success with his recordings of "Little Boy Lost" and Hoagy Carmichael's "Skylark." All of these songs were done in a smooth, soothing style of crooning, almost a throwback to the 1940s and very beguiling to adult listeners seeking an alternative to the skiffle and rock & roll sounds that their children were listening to. Holliday's albums seemed aimed at those older listeners -- he recorded five LPs between 1958 and 1962, all of which were far more steeped in nostalgia than his singles, most of which (apart from "Skylark") were covers of contemporary songs.
    Holliday's chart entries ended after 1960, but his success up to that point was self-sustaining. He was a popular television and stage entertainer and always bidded fair for a comeback.

His private life, however, was apparently as unsettled as his public persona seemed smooth and relaxed. At the end of October of 1963, the British entertainment world was shocked by the news that Michael Holliday had died suddenly in a hospital in Croydon, by an apparent drug overdose.
    EMI's Columbia Records released a tribute album in his memory, featuring the top vocal stars on the label, and posthumous singles by Holliday appeared through 1964. Michael Holliday was a stylistic anachronism from the outset of his career. He stood in stark defiance of the changes that were taking place in music around him (and what he made of his fellow Liverpudlians the Beatles during the final ten months of his life is anyone's guess). His voice had a seductive power that, at its best, cut across cultural lines and is difficult to deny even a half-century after his passing. EMI has released three separate CD compilations of Holliday's best recordings and even See For Miles Records has issued a CD collection of its own devoted to his recordings.

I suppose the Beatles and other Mersey sound bands heralded the death knell of many of these 50’s crooners-there sadly wasn’t room for both in that wonderful decade of optimism and excitement we all knew.. and long for again

Gulliver
    Last edited by Gulliver; 5th October 2012 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Tidying Text,adding Music Recording

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My friend, George Skelly, the Author of `Cameo Conspiracy` a true Liverpool double murder story, [I am in the book], his father is buried side by side with Mike Holliday or Norman Milne. in Anfield Cemetery, Liverpool. [Just an aside.]
    Norman aka Mike was an excellent singer, great voice, and well known on the Cunard boats at the time.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Michael Holliday

Michael Holliday,was married he came from Kirkdale Liverpool,afew years ago Billy Mahor, a D.J. With Radio Merseyside still there, he doing record show about Michael Holliday,when Michael son phoned the station,telling Billy Mahar about his dad,thanked for keeping his memory Live,he said he lived in Crosby Merseyside,I was listening to the Radio then.If you want anymore information get in touch with B.M.Radio Merseyside.Ken.R634898.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default "Famous" Seamen of our Heyday ..lets remember them

Tomorrow it will be 50 years since the Beatles released "Love Me Do" it is expected that thousands of people will assemble around the Albert Dock/Liver Buildings to sing that song most probably a video will be made of this so it should be on You Tube.What is the connection to the Merchant Navy?the connection is the Cunard Yanks brought the records home from the States this music was played in certain clubs in Liverpool which the Quarry Men (The Beatles) went to and picked up their style.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Liverpool Seamen had a few good entertainers amongst them.
    My old mate Joe Finnegan [now lives south of Perth in Safety Bay near Rockingham, ] and Tommy Lawless won the Carol Levis Show, equivelant to X-Factor today. Good Singers and Guitar players, They were offered contracts but turned them down because they enjoyed Seafaring. Both good ABs.
    They always entertained in the Pig on the Empress of Scotland and the old Franconia.
    In Montreal they always won the Bulova Watch Radio Show every Sunday night we were in, from the Seamans Mission,
    Joe has dozens of gold Bulova Watches.
    Tommy died young, too much ale,
    In 2005 We sailed home from Fremantle OZ, on the Funchal, 38 day trip to Liverpool, and Joe got up and entertained us all one night with his singing and comedy. He was even offered a job on the ship. He had already done four years singing and comedy on another cruise ship from out of Australia.
    He also appeared in several TV shows , such as Boone, Last of the Summer Wine and so on. still gets cheques in the post for the repeats. We were with him in Perth in March and in Liverpool in April this year. Always visit him when I am in Perth and he comes to Bolton and I go to Liverpool when he is over here.
    He is 80 years old now and still fit and healthy. Plays golf and still goes dancing.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 4th October 2012 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joe and Tommy were on the France when i was on her in July 54 to Jan 55,Brian always put on a good show.Another one of their mates was with them played the guitar,Jimmy Grace.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tommy Steele was if I recall correctly a steward with Cunard in the 50's. Cliff Richard began his career sininmg in the Black and white milk bar in New Cross. He was at that time a student in Goldsmith college in the same area. Mary quant was also there at that time.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joe and Tommy were on the France when i was on her in July 54 to Jan 55,Brian always put on a good show.Another one of their mates was with them played the guitar,Jimmy Grace.
    Hi Charlie, I have his address amd phone Number if you need it.
    I have a photo somewhere in my collection from the Liverpool Echo, titled Cunard Yanks, there is about six of them round a table in the Crown on Lime Street, Joe and Tommy are on it and the other names. It was taken around 1954/5 , I will try and dig it out .
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Famous Seamen

In the entertainment business there was also Russ Conway and David Whitfield, there were many others in other professions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Billy Fury (17 April 1940 - 28 January 1983) born Ronald Wycherley. He fronted his own group in 1955. Billy worked as a deck hand on the Mersey tug Formby, owned by the Alexandra Towing Company, for approximately two years from 1956, before he became famous.

Chris.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast