Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Humour Dead

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sailed with a Deck Steward whose real name was Frank something, but was known as the Heap.
    If you saw the guy you would know why he got that name. He was enormous and looked as if everything had piled on top of each other. Jim B may have come across him in CPR as he was strictly a passy boat man. His Discharge Book was like a history of the MN. But for all that he was one of hell of a steward and taught me a great deal.
    Regards
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only Fools and Horses was one of the best ever and loved the old stand up comics, there was a TV show that somehow called the Comedians if I recall, appeared to have vanished.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Is Humour Dead

John,I had a look at the Comedians on You Tube not to long ago also on there was The Wheel Tappers And Shunters do you remember that show.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a test watch Tommy cooper even if he says nothing ? you don't get that anymore of thees so called funny menjp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim
    Wife and daughters all call me Victor Meldrew, cannot think why
    rgds
    JA

. I dont believe it.!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Britanic

Working on a Shaw Savill ship the Britanic,maiden voyge at the Gladstone Dock,down the hold of the ship,with a gang of eight men.The ships boss was called the Champ,never lost a fight.first three days working on long steel girders using I think the ships crane put in over thousand tons,worked 8am till 7pm them days 1967/8 wages about £13aweek if you got four sevens that week you£1-50. for each,that ment £6.anyway the ships boss came down the hatch to let us that we would getting afew heavy lifts in the middle of the hatch,Jimmy Nixon one of the Holdsman,he had worked on the docks through the war,said to me go and ask the Champ his name his Dick,just say to him as he got any string on your dick,went over and asked him have you got any sting on your dick he pick me up by the lapels and said if I had any string on my dick I would put it a round your neck,let me down and said my name his Richard,some friends call me Dick and you are not one.Said I was sorry,he saw the other Holdsman laughing he new I had been set up.He was great to me after always called me Ken,I would always Rich. D.True Ken.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of my latest favourites from the UK is "Red Dwarf". Only the poms could put something like that together. Who else could think up a plot where the main character "Lister" finds out he is his own father. Not to mention the one about the assisination of President Kennedy and working out it was Kennedy his self that fired the gun.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default B.h.p.

Les,wondering if you knew, big Brian? (ex Wests player)

He'd sit at our Table regularly, at the friday -night Raffles, up at B.H.P. Rec. Club.

He was in his element when whizzing round the Works,in its latter years. driving one of those little engines.

I'd sometimes encounter him,when walking through there. He had Cheery Grin on his face ,to which one Could not help responding to.

Regards.
    Last edited by Evan Lewis; 30th August 2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: addition

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did not go to the Rec club much at all we usually went to Stewart and LLoyds after work. Was at BHP from 75 till stumps and slithered over to Onesteel until I pulled up stumps in 02. Was rigging up until 89. Started in Outside Riggers moved to BOS riggers. What position did you play there? Met a lot of footballers there and our foreman in the Outside mob was Charlie Gill who played for Oz and think he was also a Wests player. Those where the days when footballers used to have regular jobs albet they where wrapped in cotton wool on Mondays. One of the riggers in the BOS was an ex west player as well Ron Hall. Terry Banks played for Norths along with quite a few others working there. Do you mean Brian Pierce as I think he was also ex West.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default B.h.p.

Sorry if i gave the wrong impression to you Les.

No I've never played N.R,L. in my life.
    I was on the the Wharf there ,last job, before retiring. ,driving Ship's Crane. Loading Coils.

Used to walk through the Works on occasions. .As lived at Barber Street ,in Mayfield.

Remember the Old ,Stewart and Lloyds. , Became the Phoenix in latter years. After the' Quake.

Adjacent to Pommie Land, .Which lost about five houses that time.

Great city , Friendly People.
    Good memories.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast