Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weird first names.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Apparently:

A Swedish couple were fined for naming their child "Brfxxccxxmnpcccclll mmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116"

A Swedish couple were been fined for failing to register a legally approved name for their seven-year-old child, who is presently called "Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116" (pronounced "/ˈalˌbin/").

They've offered to change the kid's name to "A," but the Swedish government says that would not do either.

Because the parents (Elizabeth Hallin and an unidentified father) failed to register a name by the boy's fifth birthday, a district court in Halmstad, southern Sweden, fined the parents 5,000 kronor (US$682 at the time). Responding to the fine, the parents submitted the 43-character name in May 1996, claiming that it was "a pregnant, expressionistic development that we see as an artistic creation." The parents suggested the name be understood in the spirit of 'pataphysics.

?

The court rejected the name and upheld the fine.

K.

john sutton Guest

I have never forgiven my parents for calling me john.I,ve gone through life name after an American toilet
    john sutton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I call the loo a john, John lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Names

I know a chap in Tenby named BOWLER,he had a son who
    he named THOMAS,this was shortened to TOM...TOM BOWLER
    ....his nickname was BINGO !!!!!
    Dave Williams

Tony Morcom Guest

It seems to me that in the English speaking world the idea of calling your offspring some weird name came directly from the drug crazed world of rock and roll. From there it passed on to the general celebrity world. In 20 years time we will be living in a world where the idea of using conventional names will have ceased altogether as people try to outdo each other with more and more outrageous names. May be one day the will be a prime minister called Wham Bang Thank You Mam Smith.

OR

Will there be a situation in where all these poor unfortunates will be changing their names by Deed Poll to more conventional ones thus creating new found wealth for Solicitors?

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Historically, nothing really new:

A few from 1881 census (all Male) Ephirem; Nahor; Rezin; Hamiah; Trayton; Nere; Silvanus: Zebulan;

How about Onesimus often shortened to Oney.

The most unusual name could be Polyphemus for a girl in 1881.

A long time before Sex and drugs and rock and roll and Fifi Trixibelle, Child of Bob Geldof and Paula Yates etc.

Weird names in history...These are all REAL names that people named their kids over many years:

EG: A Frost family named their kids: Winter Night, Jack, Snow White, Dew, Hail, and Cold. The Winds family named theirs East, North, South and you guessed it West !

David Beckham reveals the truth behind baby Harper Seven's naming, nothing to do with Harper Seven off a character from Disney TV show Wizards of Waverly Place or Harper's Bazaar magazine, David said the name had a literary meaning for them.

Old friend Ebenezer say's he prefers his name to possibly Rolan Bolan, Assuming you were going to give your children "Rolan Bolan"/"Zowie Bowie"-esque names, what would you call them ? Bearing in mind that a Judge in New Zealand recently during a hearing for 'Tallulah does the Hulah' to have her name changed legally was damningly critical of the parents. Children are not an extension of your personality, Zowie Bowie, Moon Unit Zappa, Fifi Trixabel Geldof ! It's just irresponsable.

The worst modern must be names associated after the place name of conception: Paris / Texas etc: What next back seat Cortina ?

What’s in a name: hopefully your folks love you ?

LINK to more unfortunate names: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/t...ate-names.html

Liked Captain Kong's, American Indian TDS #7 explanation.

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 10th June 2012 at 10:32 PM.

Tony Morcom Guest

Ahh yes Keith but you have to remember that the English Language back in the 1880s was somewhat different to that of today. Poor old Polyphemus, being named after a mythical Cyclops!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Things are going from bad to worse here in Oz. They have now devised a test for three year olds to establish if they will suffer mental problems later in life. I know the politicians are getting desperate, but to try and establish at such a young age their abbility to become a politicain is a bit much.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Weird first names. ( Embarrasing to some)

Don't know whether I have put this up before or not, in 1957 I was up for a Radar Observers Certificate and had to register at South Shields Marine School, in Ocean Road. I went with a couple of other mates who had sailed together who were also doing the course and also had to register. One had the surname of Cock and the other Balls. This would have been ok but the person doing the registering was a young female. She asked the two of them to spell their names Balls was alright, but when Cock came to spell his he got cold feet and said C. O, X. whether his certificate ever got the real name put on at a later date I don't know. Considering these two sailed together I can well imagine the hilarity that must have gone on at times. They are more than likely still both alive and if so and read this I will apologise for any embarrassment that it may cause, and can say I sincerely felt sorry for their predicament at the time. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Weird first names.

get away with you john your trying to fanny us all and we are too bright for that regards cappy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast