2 7.69%
  • Definately undecided

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism !!!!!!

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Acronym:

Apparently: The word is often mistakenly thought to be an acronym. What the acronym supposedly stands for, however, varies in the telling:

Westernized Oriental Gentleman

Worthy Oriental Gentleman

Wily Oriental Gentleman

Wonderful Oriental Gentleman

Working On Government Service

The last comes with a legend that the letters were stenciled on the shirts of workmen along the Suez Canal. The story and the acronymic origin, however, are apparently proved to be false.

Apparently there is not one shred of evidence, one article of clothing thus stitched etc.

All evidence of origin does seem to be Nautical virtually involving a banned topic on site, so I will cease now.

Hopefully no one will take offence to the term line crossing and I add a link to a bit of an explanation.

LINK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

Was brought up on a belief that the Suez Canal version was true: Only via this post have I learned possibly otherwise ?

Uncertain to what is right or wrong really now, but those that do or attempt no harm to me or mine are OK, the others of any background are not welcome ?

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All.
    Everyone seems to be up in arms over something that has been used for years, it is called working class devision. The maxime of the rich and powerfull that rule the world is and has always been devide and rule. Much as we had the buffer or bosun between us and the deck officers and Captain, so they have the PC brigade mainly from a church or a social group [The Sloan Rangers] etc close but not to close to the top people. Look at Rupert Murdock and his press, how much do you think he influences people with his rubbish newspapers and TV channels, yes he was dragged kicking into the highest court but what did he get compared with his working class news grubbing reporters? They either do what he wants or there is no job. I remember the old stand in line for a job and god help your prospects if you ever got out of line, those days have never changed, just the way it operates, like part time work, short hours, the seething masses are only to ready to call anyone who takes what they consider their jobs racist names, whether it's ******, black, Taff, Chink, Jock,or Paddy, see I'm being racist by not using capitals for ****** or black.
    In Australia at the moment we have people screaming over the boat people arriving daily getting what they see as preferential treatment by the Govt, neither they the Govt or the opposition will get together to stop, Why?????? devide and rule.
    Cheers Des
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 7th January 2012 at 04:29 AM. Reason: check spell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Some thoughts on racism in britain today

During the winter of 1964-65 whilst taking an enforced sojourn from sea-life, I obtained work as a labourer at the Standard Bottle Co., Bounds Green, Nth.London. The work involved shovelling sand from railway trucks into smaller skips which were then hauled up to the factory by a small electric locomotive. The work force was separated into four or five teams of two, each man working with the same co-worker every day. The company paid the men for each skip delivered to the factory, a policy which engendered a very good work ethic. My workmate, Edgar Hall, was a Jamaican and one of the nicest people it has ever been my pleasure to meet. He told me something of his life in Jamaica before coming to England where he was now happily settled with his wife and family. Erudite in a down-to-earth sort of way his conversation and warm, friendly manner made him a joy to work with - and work we most certainly did. Apart from the normal five day week, we also worked overtime until noon on Saturday and then all day on Sunday. After work on the Saturday, Edgar and I would join the others in the local pub for a few pints before heading home. Edgar, like the rest of us, was prepared to work hard for what he earned. Reliance upon Government welfare he would have found demeaning. Like most merchant seamen of that time I felt no general animosity towards a man simply because he looked different and that's how it was with Edgar, the colour of his skin mattered not, he was simply my mate. I tell you this only to illustrate my belief that each person should be judged by their attitude to others and the way they conduct themselves rather than their nationality or ethnic appearance. From my association with Edgar I learned that regardless of any cultural differences, if left to their own devices men and/or women are quite capable of forming a genuine friendship, which I feel is just as it should be. As an Englishman I grew up in the mistaken belief that my birthright alone assured that I was somehow better than other people in the world. Thankfully I learned the foolishness of that belief and although unashamed of my 'Englishness', I came to realise that nationalism and racism are so often to be found in the same bed.

In Britain, as in other countries, emerging doctrines resulted in seeing some 'forward-thinking' social scientists, trendy academics, church leaders, politicians and other well-intentioned people embrace the concept of 'multiculturalism' which, during the latter part of the 20th century, has been thrust upon the world, or more significantly, the western world. Whilst noble in concept, increasingly there is a belief that at the present time it's just not working.

Since the end of WWII successive British governments have been totally deficient in the application of a sensible and workable immigration policy. This has resulted in vast numbers of immigrants being crammed into a comparatively small island that has long passed the accepted level for a sustainable population. In hindsight (which we know is a wonderful thing) it is clearly apparent that when admitting such large numbers of people into Britain they were ill-prepared for the problems that would arise and for the great burden it would place upon the social structure of the country. In their folly they could do little to prevent the establishment of large ghettos in Birmingham, Bradford, London and so many other British cities and towns. It seems that in seeking to alleviate problems on the one hand by offering housing and other generous benefits to the migrant community, recent governments have been less than generous or considerate of the needs of the elderly and other deserving members of the British public, the vast majority of whom were born and bred in the U.K. For many, the old adage that ' Charity begins at home' was never more relevant.

In Britain, nowadays, is it so surprising that many folk are beginning to harbour less than kindly feelings towards certain ethnic members of the community. On the other hand, can we really blame the migrant for accepting the hand-outs offered by the Government. In their shoes most of us would probably do the same. I'm sure that most migrants come to Britain fully aware of the generous welfare support on offer and are fully intent on getting the best they can for their families and themselves, which I'm afraid is a perfectly normal human desire. Aware of what is happening in their country, many less-fortunate, indigenous Brits, are understandably angry and that too is a perfectly normal human reaction. They have witnessed the gradual erosion of their own culture and traditions ( no doubt, partly due to membership of the EU) whilst at the same time being urged to embrace the tenets of multiculturalism. Added to that they have to contend with man's greatest modern-day folly, political correctness. In light of the current situation in the U.K. is it any wonder that whilst feeling neglected and/or victimised and frustrated there exists a tendency for some to direct their anger at those of different ethnicity, when, in truth, the root cause of the whole problem is ongoing political incompetence.

........................Roger
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 7th January 2012 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was right Aba Jan, they were more exploited by their own kind than by the Brits.
    I was deported in 1954 from Jamaica after missing the Tilapa , skin boat, two other Stowaways came with me. In Avonmouth I had nothing, just shorts and a shirt, got some old dungies and coat out of the oil skin locker. The other two were met by a Society, of English people, who kitted them out in new suits and shoes, What about me? , I asked, Nothing for you, you live here.was the reply.
    The crowd had a tarporlin muster and paid my train fare home.
    I see that the Dianne Abbot is stirring up trouble again, On Twitter she again said today, that London Cab drivers are rascist. They do not stop to pick up black people.
    Now if I was a taxi driver in some of the dodgy areas of London and three or four black Rastas wave me to pick them up at 2am I dont think I would stop for them.
    This morning, I found a beautiful Black Bird lying on my lawn, It lay in a perfect cross position, wings outstretched, I picked it up, On its jet black chest there was Red Blood.
    All same as mine. I dug a hole , and buried it in a border under a tree. Sad.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 7th January 2012 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Blame the Government

Roger makes a very good point. It is the governments who are responsible for their seemingly preferential treatment of immigrants over natives of their countries. There are a lot of immigrants to Canada, most of which come here for an obviously better life and work very hard to achieve that. However, there are also many who come here, do not take citizenship, commit a crime and are they deported back to their own country? Why, no, of course not. They're put in our prison system where the taxpayers then take care of them for the duration. And then there are those who come here and when political issues erupt in their native lands, they organize road-blocking protests in demand that our government do something about it! Meanwhile, our own indigenous people who were plunked into reservations years ago are suffering in dodgy living conditions and very little is done for them... and they were here before anyone! I stand by my belief that it's the corporations who run the government and the uneducated who perpetrate racism.
    Last edited by Jacyn Wade; 7th January 2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Ron's Daughter
    R399144

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jacyn

I Watch a t.v. programme which many of you may also watch, uk custom control...... Now this although laughable is true a young Indian guy tried to enter this country on a work visa to attend collage? When he was interviewed by customs and asked which collage and what course he was attending his reply was Birmingham, Customs officer asked which collage in Birmingham his reply the one were the queen lives near Birmingham Palace. We to have to many illegals in this country who are brought over by there relatives on phony visas. They dont so much take work away from our own youth they will slum it and live 10 to a room and are being exploited bye there own.I agree with your sentiments completely it is corporation and business that have our country in illegal overload. I dont know how long it takes to deport an illegal in Canada but it can take up to 2 years in the uk in the meantime they have to be fed and watered those that dont disappear into the uk Abbi's. This is what is breading hatred among the youth of this country not all just the few that were born without a brain. There was a guy from sri lanker visiting relatives in Manchester he was quite legal and planned his return after a couple of weeks sadly one of the brainless idiots who cant see past illegals stabbed him and took his life. Again i say this was a hatred crime because they see these people from overseas being successful running small business's. We have a small shop half a kilometre from were i am who if i wanted would open his shop and serve me.I dont know any young white men that i can say the same. So if these brainless idiots want the same success let them start a small business of there own there is nothing stopping them. One thing we should all remember the blood in our veins runs red no other colour regardless of whatever your creed.Thank you for you input its a very interesting thread and seems to me to be a problem in all the ex colonial countries. A guy in the pub tonight said to me this goes back to the time when the colonial white man was the master class and pillaged and took whatever he wanted from any of the colony's. That may be true but without the help of our Canadian friends this country would not have defeated Hitler we will always be indebted to your country for that still the more i read up on the British Empire which has long gone i still cant find this word racism? Regards Jacyn Terry.
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 8th January 2012 at 01:24 AM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Abadan Jan,

I have read your post #25 with interest and find that I do agree with much of what you say. I have no argument with your comment that those born in the British Colonies or other parts of the Commonwealth felt that they had a right to come and settle in Britain and in a moral sense few would argue with that. What I cannot agree with, is your belief that the 'Government of the day' could do little to control the influx of immigration that took place following WWII. In my view the British Government (or any government if it comes to that) has a 'duty of care' to it's native born citizens and it's primary consideration should be for the welfare of those citizens before acknowledging the rights of others who may seek to take up residence. Surely, every country has the right to exercise control of it's own borders even if by doing so they risk censure from elsewhere.

In 1948 the introduction of the 'British Nationality Act' was the catalyst for the many problems that were to follow. This act was introduced with the prime purpose of stimulating immigration particularly amongst adult males who, it was thought, would increase the work-force and aid in the recovery of an ailing economy that was still suffering the ill-effects of WWII. Some of these men came from Poland and other European countries, but most, particularly in the early days, came from the West Indies. The large influx of migrants from India, Pakistan and several African nations was to follow. Many of the W.I. migrants came, leaving behind a wife and family. When, after a year or two, the families joined the husband/father in the U.K., it occurred to some politicians that, rather than stimulate the economy, it might create a further burden on the British tax-payer. A certain Lord Salisbury was one among many who held this view, but although for several years the matter was the regular subject of Parliamentary debate, nothing was achieved. Finally, in 1962, in an attempt to curb the increasing influx of immigration the Commonwealth Immigration Act was introduced. It was to be the first of several acts which over the years have sought to curb or discourage immigration, but seemingly it has been a case of too little, too late.

Whilst I respect the right of others to disagree, some of whom might point the finger at any number of ethnic groups to identify those responsible for Britain's decline, I still believe that the culpability rests with over 50 years of muddled immigration policy by successive British Governments.

A.J., there is a wealth of information on the web in relation to this very subject and should you care to view it, who knows, you may even alter your opinion about Britain's post-war governments from helplessness to hopelessness.

.........regards, Roger
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 8th January 2012 at 04:05 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Roger.
    When John Howard was Prime Minister of Australia he announced that Australians would decide who would come to live here not some People smugglers, and he stopped the boats arriving by sending the illegals to a Pacific Island to be prossesed included the ones off the infamous Tampa. BUT what the public wasn't told that everyone who was sent there; less the170 odd that NZ accepted ended up in Australia anyway. Now the furore is on again three boats already this Jan. But over 100,000 come in by plane and the media say nothing, and who controls the media.
    Cheers Des
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default racism - war

Hi shipmates,I remember a few years back on khag island in the persian gulf watching a movie with seaman from all around the world in the seaman mission it was full The film was called the war of the worlds it was about a robot who would destroy the planet unless the wars stopped? {a new film then} the cheering and clapping by all the seaman at the end of the film was amazing .if it comes back to the t.v please watch it and you will understand. An old donkeyman told me there good and bad in every race, but its the crooks and cheats cause the probelms in every country All illegals are cheats and should be deported. My view only not the governments Con/libdems or The following The co-operative group, argos, amazon ,asda ,b and q littlewoods ,G.U.S. jamie oliver the t.v chef and many others many big business they all support and employ illegals in the U.K.{ Cheap labour} there are at present 10 places hostels????running at the cost to the taxpayer of 220 million per year 2011 to look after them many are failed asylum seekers. is the reason the pensions for our old people dont go up anymore?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the Amigo View Post
    there are at present 10 places
    When you watch the cable channel show " UK Boarder " or similar to that , they raid Chineese , Indian , and Turkish take away food outlets , nick two or three illegals , interview them and then let them go on bail . They have no papers so no one wants them back , especialaly as a burden to China or India or Turkey , we have no where to put them so they are let out on the street , to go about their own lives , they fail to attend their bail meetings and melt to the illegal economy . They know we are a soft touch before they set out . IF !!! we had a bail hostel from hell based somewhere unpleasant weather wise , Northumberland coast , or a Scottish Island , serving porridge for breakfast , pork soup for lunch , and Botswanan Beef for tea , no release until the papers material;ise , then the word will soon spread . What I am suggesting is a Place outside the boarders of the country , like the Guantanamo bay siutuation that I actually don't agree with . Takes a year to get a new passport , living in a 10 x 6 foot breeze block room with an hour a day exercise , and limitless pork and offal , no MK meat ,. no Vegetarian specials . Inhumane , but if the conditionas at their home are so bad this will be an improvement , and they will love it , Human Rights , well , try as it is outside our ( virtual ) boundary , no lawyer access .

( of course in the 1800's we had the answer , It was just so handy when we had the Colonies , we had somewhere to send them and there was good employment for shipping to take them there . Oh how we miss thiose far off territories . )
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast