Thread: Interesting T.V.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Interesting T.V.

Hello
    Anyone been watching the BBC 4 series"Empire of the Seas", How the Navy Forged the Modern World.
    Absolutley fascinating how the Navy evolved into the fighting force it became and how it ended up greating the Empire.
    Apparentley the modern Navy have a feeding rate of £2.31 per man per day, just what we were on.
    Just watching how we knocked over the froggies in the 1760's at the Battle of Quiberon.
    If you hav'nt seen it try the BBC IPlayer, its well worth it.

rgds
    Capt. John Arton (ret'd)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Interesting T.V.

Back again
    following on from the above post on BBC4, there was a episode of the actor Timothy Spall's trip around the U.K. coast in his converted barge. I was particularly interested as he was visiting the North East coast. I had been unaware of this program but again I reckon its well worth looking it all up on the BBC Iplayer (if its there).
    He certainly seemed to know his stuff and had all the gear on his barge, came across as a decent fellow with no airs and graces and it certainly made for enjoyable watch.
    rgds
    Capt. John Arton (ret'd)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John,
    Yes have been watching both programmes. The programme with Timothy Spall is in its second session, and if its like the first time (taking the barge from London via Cornwall etc) will be repeated at a later date, really good watch. Regards Keith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I noticed that H.M.S Astute feeds the crew for £2.31 per day. I assume that guests of Her Majesty, in various penal establishments, are treated the same?, or are they treated better? prisoners at one jail had a bit of a riot , when they got chicken 3 times in a week, many retired people would like chicken 3 times a month, if they could afford it! with rising costs, and falling interest rates, bread and jam, starts to look appealing!

john sutton Guest

Subject: Fwd: PARAPROSDOKIAN

Date:

A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part.

"Where there's a will, I want to be in it," is a paraprosdokian. Winston Churchill loved them.

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.
    3. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
    5. We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
    6. War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
    7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    8. Evening news is where they begin with 'Good Evening,' and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
    9. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal ideas from many is research.
    10. A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.
    11. I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.
    12. Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says, 'In case of emergency, notify,,,' I put 'DOCTOR.'
    13. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
    14. Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
    15. A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
    16. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive more than one time.
    17. Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
    18. There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
    19. I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
    20. You're never too old to learn something stupid.
    21. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
    22. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
    23. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
    24. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
    25. Where there's a will, there are relatives.

john sutton