Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The nicest celebrity you've met?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Celeb Etc.

Hi,been thinking about posting this for a bit,will give it a go anyway.

1955 Iwas Bell Boy in the 1st. Class Saloon on the Stratheden Lady Churchill and a traveling companion traveled from Colombo to Marseille,during that short time I witnessed a couple of rows between her and the Head Waiter.

Acouple of weeks later I was in the P@O Office picking up my joining papers for Stratheden,and witnessed the the same Head Waiter being told they didn't think he was suitable for the job!!!..He wasn't being fired or demoted,just being shunted out of what had probably been his lifetime occupation,you don't need to be a genius to work that one out.

Len.

PS. Was joining Strathnaver,not the'eden.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Celebrities

Hi Rodney.
    My claim to fame is that I sat next to Partick Moore(Sky at Night)
    on a flight to Norway,I also met Pat Pheonix(Elsie Tanner, Coronation
    Street) in a photographic shop in Scarborough.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The nicest celebrity you've met?

Met Roger Moore, pre his Bond Days if I remember correctly, on a train once and he was very nice to talk too and had time for all who came up to him for his autograph.
    Also met Stewart Hall of "Its a Knockout" fame a couple of times. Very pleasant when sober but totally went south when in his cups.
    Harold Wilson was not a particularly nice person the one time I met him.
    Footballers Alan Kennedy, Terry MacDermott and Bruce Grobbelar were great company when I met them through my sisters business.
    rgds
    Capt John Arton (ret'd)

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Darling tiger:

Would omit the rich and famous to share a Babycham with you.

K.

john sutton Guest

Many years ago I was on the manchester committee of the variety club of great britain and met many celebs.The best one was Henry Cooper.We annually put on a pro-celebrity golf match at Mere Golf club in cheshire.My daughter who was 12 at the time wanted to caddy for a celebrity and as I was on the committee (also my pal owned mere golf club)I managed to get her the job of caddying for Henry.After about 2 holes Henry told her that she was too small to be carrying a large bag and he carried it for the rest of the day.He still gave her a fiver tip and told her what a great caddy she was.
    Liz Dawn was a client of mine also several other corrie stars but she was a bit special.
    john sutton

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've met a few but one sticks in mind Sir Stanley Mathews one of the most down to earth you could wish to meet. jimmy case in oxford street hospital maternity unit we sat all night waiting for the new arrivals his wife had twins and we had one of our sons but we had a good laugh all night he had just got of a plain from Bulgaria playing for Liverpool. i met a few royals but they were nothing special.john

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The nicest celebrity you've met?

Have not actually spoken to but have met the Brazilian National football team that included Pele and Zarzinio.
    It came about in Haiti in 71 (I think) when we saw an advert for Haiti versus a Brazilian side whose name I forget. So we went to the match in Port au Prince where we were berthed at the time.
    It was held in the so-called National Stadium (think your local non league footy team ground and thats something akin to the Haitain National Stadium of that time.
    There was only one small stand where PAPA DOC DUVAL sat with his glasses on at the top of the stand whilst all his Ton-Ton Macots patrolled round the ground armed to their teeth in their wrap around dark glasses.
    The group of us were the only white people in the ground and we were sitting by the touchline just where the players came onto the pitch. We thought we were going to be watching a Brazilian club team but when their players ran out onto the pitch it was apparent that it was basically the National team playing. We found out later that the national team used to tour under an made up club name so as to get practice without possibly suffering defeat.
    The Brazilian players saw us by the touch line taking their photos so they came over to us so as we could get a group photo, possibly thinking we were some sort of press photographers. One of us got up and stood in the middle of them all and had his photo taken with them, then the rest of followed. So somewhere in my collection I have a photo of myself standing next to the great Pele.
    After we had got our photos we noticed that the Ton Tons were moving menaclly towards us but a wave from Papa Doc sent them back.
    The result of the match? 15-1 to the Brazilians with them scoring all the goals as one of them turned out for Haiti in the second half.
    Haiti was about the poorest place I ever visited and if you were not carefull the locals would have the socks off your feet even if your shoelaces were tied tight. Though mind you we did have a couple of good nights getting brahms and List on the local ale.
    rgds
    Capt. John Arton (ret'd)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The nicest I've met, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is Sir Stirling Moss. A boyhood hero, and when I last met him 5 years ago, still very polite and interested in what I had to say. a truly great man.

The funniest was some years ago in London. I worked near Covent Garden, and was having lunch in a local pub with a colleague, and two guys asked if they could share our table as the pub was crowded. We said "OK", but it wasn't until they sat down that we saw that out companions were Jimmy Edwards and Eric Sykes. We laughed so much we way overran our lunch hour, but as often happens I can't really remember what was said. Pity.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Celebrity

Sparks & I travelling by train from Newhaven to Victoria and Sparks spots Tommy Cooper in 1st class carriage and says lets go and chat. I thought asking him if he wanted a drink would be better and we ended up in buffet car for rest of journey knocking back scotch & chasers .us paying. but real funny guy.As we were parting suddenly thought of his autograpgh but only paper I had was Vernons football coupons envelope ready to post, Still got it complete with autograph .Often wonder if there were any winning lines.......
    Stuart
    R396040

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink Rodney and Keith

Thanks Rodney for liking my Post, While writing it the Memories came rolling back of the lovely events
    I was lucky enough to experience back in the Good Old Days.
    Keith I would love to share a Babycham with You, When and Where???
    Glad to see you are back, Take care.
    Fondest
    Tiger Jean.x
    Tiger1 H.S.O.D. R25968

Ken R543609

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast