Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking advice "Help Needed"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Smoking advice "Help Needed"

Ok, I smoke 30 a day bad I know but I ain't a bad person just addicted to Fags. The weather here is bloody awful and "managment" wants a couple of weeks sunshine in Menorca, this means a 2 hr wait at Gatwick Airport plus a 2r 30min flight & 1 hr wait for baggage = 5 & 1/2 hrs without a fag ARGHH. Any advice from other smokers how they would cope with this much appreciated.
    Without the obvious "Give it up" TA
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Graham,
    I am going to give you advice you dont want.
    Please, please Give It Up.
    In the last two years I have watched at their homes the misery, pain and suffering that goes with smoking.
    Three very close friends have died the most horrible deaths, screaming in a pain from a Cancer that cannot be controlled even with Morphine fed directly into the arteries.
    These were big men reduced to tiny skeletons all within 12 months of being seemingly fit and healthy.
    I carried the coffins, Pall Bearer.
    Their wives and children have still not come to terms with their untimely deaths. The ones you leave behind suffer greatly and never recover. I go to see them and there is a deathly silence in all their homes, an empty space that will never be filled again. If you really loved your family you would think of how they would be if it happened to you.
    I used to smoke 60 a day, FEAR MADE ME GIVE IT UP. that is the only way to stop smoking, FEAR.!
    Sorry about the hard lesson, Graham, just think about it.
    I hope this advice will save your life.
    All the best
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Smoking advice

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Payne View Post
    Ok, I smoke 30 a day bad I know but I ain't a bad person just addicted to Fags. The weather here is bloody awful and "managment" wants a couple of weeks sunshine in Menorca, this means a 2 hr wait at Gatwick Airport plus a 2r 30min flight & 1 hr wait for baggage = 5 & 1/2 hrs without a fag ARGHH. Any advice from other smokers how they would cope with this much appreciated.
    Without the obvious "Give it up" TA
    Graham

Can only echo Kong's advice, give it up, I have never smoked, but lost my first wife aged 50 to passive smoke, died from cancer in both lungs and the liver she didn't smoke or drink, but the smokers made sure she didn't survive, so for the sake of your family, suffer the withdrawal symptons for some time, we know its not going to be easy, but do it for your family. Only other solution is to get too drunk to fly then enjoy your cigarettes later, but you of course might be on your own for a very long time! or in hospital from severe fractures from an ash tray!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs down coffin nails

hi shipmate, I gave it up!!! as we were all heavy smokers at sea up to 70 a day the proper stuff from tins sometimes i can still smell them wonderful !!! The stuff they smoke today is factory sweeping s and if you buy them cheap from china they could be anything? So as Captain Kong and Ivan said the best thing to do give up the weed or it will get you in the end, I have a few horror tales to tell, but I hope you will heed our warnings and dont let yourself become one? You can beat the addition to nicotine, with help from the stop smoking programs every where and support from your family and all your friends you will beat it.{ Good Luck shipmate}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

good advice "Give it up" I used to smoke 100grms of Old Holburn a week & used 4 packets of ciggy papers, I had to go to my doc for pains in my legs. his advice "Stop smoking and you will keep walking". I went on the patches, and said to my Mrs, I am going to buy myself a Computer to help me, she said ok......but start smoking again and you can pick a window,( I live in a second floor maisonette flat) and your Computer will go out that window and you after it. Been stopped 11 years now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Give it up Graham, I smoked for 46 years and I gave it up. You owe it to your family, you really do. You will feel great once you give up plus you will have more money in your pocket to enjoy your new life.

Chris.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Smoking

I have every sympathy for anyone trying to give up smoking. I smoked 20-30 a day for around 50 years and gave up whilst on holiday at the age of 65. I had developed a lung infection on the plane out and was plagued with a hacking cough. I would sit on my balcony smoking and coughing and all my friends (all non smokers) would walk past and ask how I was today. Then it suddenly occured to me that they must think I am a right prat sitting there coughing my lungs up and still smoking. I gave up there and then even though the fags were cheap. Fast forward nine years and I developed another lung infection on holiday. This time my GP could not cure it with antibiotics so she sent me for an xray which showed a tumour the size of a tennis ball. It was removed by surgery followed by chemotherapy. Fast forward another 3 years and after a routine x ray I was informed that I had cancer in my other lung. This was small cell cancer which is much more aggresive. Anyway as it was in its early stages they reckoned that they could get rid of it with chemo and radiotherapy. I am in the middle of the radiotherapy treatment right now.
    I am not looking for sympathy, because I consider that my illness was self inflicted. I just wish that I had seen the light earlier, I may have had a better chance of avoiding it. I know that a great many members of this site have got to the age when advice is shrugged off, but I just hope there are a few of the younger ones who might take heed. I was lucky because I was diagnosed early. Mind you I still don't know if I am out of the woods yet.
    Pete

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default smoking advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Leonard (Bruno);66290I am not looking for sympathy, because I consider that my illness was self inflicted. I just wish that I had seen the light earlier, I may have had a better chance of avoiding it. I know that a great many members of this site have got to the age when advice is shrugged off, but I just hope there are a few of the younger ones who might take heed. I was lucky because I was diagnosed early. [B
    Mind you I still don't know if I am out of the woods yet.[/B]
    Pete

Well Pete you know your friends on this site would willingly lead you out of the wood and we are all rooting (pardon the pun) for you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Graham,

I cannot add anything to the good advice given by all above. I will say that I too have lost many friends to Lung Cancer and it is not a nice sight to see them go that way. Give it up!!

Brgds

Uncle Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Smoking

Graham,

There is only ONE thing for you to do and that is STOP.

I was a heavy smoker 20/40 a day and in 1970 my wife (also a smoker) and I had a talk and worked out how much it cost us and it was really too much.

We both went to accupunture which cost £8.00 each and from that day to this neither of us has smoked a cigarette.

Try it, try anything Graham to stop. It really is bad for your health.

John Albert Evans.

PS I know its not the advice you want to hear sorry.

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast