Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking advice "Help Needed"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hate to be the one to throw a spanner in the works but I still smoke roll ups and enjoy them ( I think).

No one can deny that smoking is not the healthiest pastime on earth but should be put into
    perspective re the health issue.
    I know many people who have never smoked but have contracted cancer. I also know folk who
    have smoked heavily all their lives and who have lived to a ripe old age.
    Also - and this may seem strange - I know folks who have stopped smoking and within a couple of
    years have passed away from a non smoking related illness.

I'm not trying to defend smoking here ! , only that there is perhaps another side.
    Must admit though that the thought of loosing a leg is a bit scary. The main artery on my left upper
    leg has already stopped working.

Maybe someday I'll try to give up but am afraid I don't have the will power !.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Smoking

I was not attempting to be evangelical by posting my story, just hoping that it might save a life somewhere. The stories of exceptions to the rule are legend, and I was guilty of perpetuating them when I wanted an excuse for not giving up. Like the jazz pianist Eubie Blake who died at 96 being a lifelong smoker. He is the one reputed to have said at the age of 90 "if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken more care of myself". My own father died at the age of 88 having been a smoker all his life( Special Nosegay)But still with no connection to the habit. So I can see both sides of the argument, but I think the exceptions to the rule seem to get the most air-time. It's like listening to a gambler talking about his wins and avoiding his losses.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete Leonard (Bruno); 8th September 2011 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Graham,
    Sorry to put you through a hard time, bet you wished you had said nothing.
    But Have you got a verdict on what has been said???
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't beat you lot, thanks for all the advice I have just made an appointment with my G.P. I'll have to see how it goes, i'll give it a try.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

Thanks for that Graham, wise move, here ends the lesson.
    Good luck.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Smoking advice

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Payne View Post
    I can't beat you lot, thanks for all the advice I have just made an appointment with my G.P. I'll have to see how it goes, i'll give it a try.
    Good luck Graham, you have taken a few brickbats in these posts, but we only have your best interests at heart, those of us who have been directly affected by this disease know only too well the distress it has brought to our family, so we have done it with the best of intentions for you and your family.

May you cannot beat us lot, but we bet you can beat the addiction, we all sincerely hope so
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 8th September 2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: missing word

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Addictions

Like with any addiction you need to wean yourself from it.

Try reducing your daily tally by 1 a week. You will soon get there, and the pain in packing up will be much less.

Once you have packed up, and you get the urge to smoke try a small cigar without inhaling the smoke.

You CAN do it!

Your only problem will be what to do with all that spare cash you save

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

Myself and "She who must be obeyed", have both given up the noxious weed, after a lifelong 60 a day habit. We now put £70 per week each in a cash box, and have just booked yet another holiday in the sun for Winter! The ciggy money is taking us around the world. If I can do it, anyone can, but you must WANT to stop. Missus got Zaiban from GP and sailed through her giving up period. I just simply quit and no longer hear bagpipes in my lungs at night! Can't stand the smell of smokers now, which upsets some of my mates, but it really is obnoxious! Good luck and try to give it a go. Will you let a bit of dried weed beat you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can't add anything different,can only agree with all the others. A heart attack made me stop and think. This and my Wife dying of lung cancer convinced me to stop. Let us know how you get on if you do decide to try to quit please.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=John Cassels;66331

Maybe someday I'll try to give up but am afraid I don't have the will power !.[/QUOTE]

Yes you do, you don't know until you try. But and its a big BUT, you have to WANT to give up too, maybe that artery in your leg is a warning from your body.

Chris.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast