Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking advice "Help Needed"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can only repeat what everyone else has said Graham. I packed up almost 3 years ago now. I was also told by the Doctor that if I did not pack the cigarettes in I would lose my leg. That was enough for me stopped smoking there and then. My Doctor prescribed a course of tablets called, I think, Champers or something like that. Your GP will know the correct name. They really are good - stops a lot of the craving for nicotine etc. much better than the patches. Give it some thought.
    Regards,
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The amputation of legs in smokers is very common. Smoking causes hardening of the arteries and then gangarene sets in so the legs have to be cut off to save the life of the victim.

Also the cancer spreads from the lungs to the brain with inoperable tumours.
    A company doctor said to me once at a medical, After asking if I smoked I said yes, He said, do you know , you are one of the bravest men I know, You live a life of Danger, you risk your life every day, what a brave man you are..... and Stupid.
    Then the cruel death.
    Think about it. there is no escape.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A hard task!

Hi Graham
    As with all the answers given,i too agree wholeheartedly with them all!
    Its a hard task i know but with will power and determination it can be done , i was lucky to give it up in my early Twenties!
    When in the Merc as you know it was too easy and cheap to get those Coffin Nails! Ten Bob for 200 Gees! No wonder so many took it up!

The Wife too gave it up after finding out that she had the start of the dreded Emphesemia (is that correct spelling) and after also seeing some good Friends go that way,it was a Godsend to see her stop!
    So to at least to try and answer you,why not just try and Chew some Gum on your wait,it may just help take that craving away! There is i think a Gum that has a sort of Anti Smoke Craving in it!??
    Another is to buy some Smoke pathes for you trip,put them on and with a little will power i am sure you can overcome all this!
    Sincerly hope that you will find a way to STOP completely!
    Good Luck and enjoy your trip!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats what the Doctor told me Brian re hardening of the arteries. He had a hellof a job trying to find a pulse in my leg, when he did it was very weak. He then slapped my leg and said in 12 months time this would come off followed shortly by the other one. To say I was scared shitlless is an understatement!! Now I can't stand the smell of the things nor the smell of tobacco on peoples breath. And to be honest it was'nt all that difficult to pack in. Loads of willpower and the will to succeed.
    Regards
    John

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default E r

Last time I was in hospital, ASAP popped out for a smoke, not knowing the best place ended up in the EMERGENCY ROOM: Smoking area. New rules see non smoking on Hospital Grounds.

My ex's: Gran nearing 90 was asked how many she smoked, her reply was 10 a day at specific times during the day. She enquired to the Doc: Should I attempt to give the up. e told her, Ma'm. Whatever you are doing, do not change a thing. Then both patient and Doc went for a ciggie.

We all are aware, more now than before, that smoking is not the best option 0n the block.

In reply to the original post, listen seriously to all said.

Smoking is not all that was promised then.

I will heed all said.

But, warn all of the far larger dangers of Barbecued food, Cling Film / wrap: Air travel, one flight must equal a thousand ciggie's, no one seems to want address the real dangers. Smokers should be aware, but should also consider the other major contributors, traffic, fuel oil. Aviation etc.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was 12 years old I helped on a milk round. The milkman paid me with a pack of five Woodbines - remember them? I was hooked!
    At sea, played poker, table tennis, darts etc., for smokes. In my prime I could easily puff 40 a day.
    Last year, 63 years later, I wondered what the hell was I doing to myself??
    I the middle of April 2010 I promised myself that I would not have one smoke on May !st. By that day, I had completely convinced myself that I would not weaken.
    I then said no smokes tomorrow and so on, one day at a time. Cold turkey - I have never smoked since and now wonder what the hell I saw in polluting myself.
    I wasn't easy. In the first week I thought it would be less painful if I cut my toes off than suffer these withdrawals.
    Then surprise, after about 8 or 9 days I would forget to think about a smoke! Gradually I felt better and the addiction faded.
    Furtunately, in spite of myself I have never had a day's illness in my life - possibly good genes? However having had x-rays last month showing clear lungs and airways( how the hell was that?), my Doctor has told me that there is still the likelihood that I could get lung cancer in the next few years.
    I could kill Ronnie Bristow (the milkman), but he probably died years ago - of lung cancer!!
    Taff

"The sea, once it casts it's spell,
    holds one in it's net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i must admit i do like a smoke i don't drink during my working days if i never stopped for a smoke i would have worked myself to death. my quack asked me{how many do you smoke john} 10 a day and 20 of a night i said

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Graham mate GIVE IT UP BEFORE IT GIVES YOU UP.
    Like the rest of us I was avery heavy smoker in my youngerdays, 100 Chesterfields a day at one point. When I swallowed the hook I had to cut down, the price if not the smokes, was killing me. Then in about 1972 I got the flu, only time ever, felt so bad I did not want a smoke for about a week. Decided then that if I could go a week I could give it up, never looked back.
    Use the time at the ariport and the flight as a time to adjust to NOT SMOKING, but you will have to go cold turkey if you realy want to give it up.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Graham.
    Mate NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can get you to pack up smoking. why? because the drug nicotine is so powerfull, only YOU can do it, the more we nag our daughter to stop the more stubborn she gets, I have seen blokes in hospital wheeled out into the open to have a smoke after having their leg off. My wife worked in a big hospital and saw them all dying day in day out, one Welsh bloke came in smiling told her he was in for Xrays, next thing he is being wheeled out in a wheelchair white as a sheet after being told he had cancer of both lungs and unable to walk because of the shock.
    Graham, tell yourself mentaly that you will pack up, not tommorow or next week, but now today only you can do it mate.
    Best of luck
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

Packing up smoking was always easy. I stopped smoking a million times, nothing to it.
    But the following day I was back on it after climbing up the wall.
    My Doctor son who is an Oncologist had an open day at his Hospital so he took me to the disecting room where thay had the lungs of dead patients preserved in fluid. They were all black gunge etc.
    He said my lungs would be just like that. I was out of breath, he said only a quarter of my lungs were working the rest was all clogged up with tar. He said if you wore your lungs on the outside, and could see them, you would never ever smoke. Get wise to yourself and pack it in.
    I had a new pack of cigs in my pocket and binned them there and then. I got the FEAR, a ball of FEAR in my gut, I got scared. I never ever touched another ciggy, I had No withdrawal symptons, I never craved for a giggy again, The FEAR cured me instantly. That was 22 years ago. I feel good. But for that day at the Hospital and my sons advice I am sure I would be long dead now. A legless corpse.
    Enjoy your day Graham. and join the ranks of the living.
    Think , do I want to inflict the pain of bereavement on my wife and children? Do I hate them so much that I will carry on smoking and do that to them ??. THINK do I really love my family???
    STOP NOW TODAY.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 8th September 2011 at 07:21 AM.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast