Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Job opportunity

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Job opportunity

Not sure which politician coined the phrase Export or Die. Found this old video clip while browsing.

https://youtu.be/7J8aD8e_U_k

2. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey @happy daze john in oz, you've brought up some interesting points about the changing global landscape and how greed can play a role. It's true that the world is more connected than ever, but sometimes, the pursuit of more can overshadow sustainability.
    When it comes to power prices, it's a complex issue influenced by various factors. It's good to hear about the discount options and concessions that can help mitigate rising costs.
    Speaking of jobs and opportunities, you can check out this vacancy posting resource. It provides information on various industries, including job trends, which can be valuable in today's ever-changing job landscape.

4. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is exactly what really needs to be discussed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems that getting proper training can be a good first step. The traditional way to college doesn't always suit everyone, you know? Maybe there are some good trade schools that would put me on the right track faster. What do you guys think? Merchant Marine veterans, have any of you studied at a trade school? I'm really looking forward to someone saying, "let's find trade schools near your place."

Learning by doing can be very valuable, and practical classes may be more suitable for me than textbooks. Besides, as they say, "time is money," and I wouldn't want to spend years in school if I could get the necessary skills faster.

7. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#34 In most cases seafarers of most on this site involved mandatory going to a trade school before going to sea , in some cases this aligned with the age of the mininum age of 16 by then of going to sea. Depending on what you want to achieve by going to sea will be up to you. I am an advocate of learning on the job this is not referring to any sexual derivations. You will be judged on a ship by your own capability’s and can’t tell someone to do a job if you don’t know how to do it yourself and the only way you will find that out is by doing so yourself. Your actual shore training after getting the required seatime in before sitting exams was 12 weeks, so was 4 years at sea, 12 weeks ashore , 2 years at sea ,12 weeks ashore, another 2 years at sea , and 12 weeks ashore. If you needed longer ashore then hope you have the money as your dole money was non existant. Today is different , shipping is different , so will have to make your own mind up when you take the plunge. What have said is for the deck only , engineers were mostly time served shipyard workers and were learning also from the age of 16. Radio officers had a longer training ashore before going to sea and went straight into the job usually as a junior to a senior operator until he got his feet wet before going on his own. Cheers JS
    I see you live in the states. We had friends also American the husband was a bank teller and at 33 he decided to join the US airforce and did so , he was stationed in Suffolk at the US air base there. He was a navigator on air crew. It was the time of Gaddafi being bombed and we stayed on the air base when the flights were taking off. He turned his life around by changing careers so must have had advice from US advisors . If I was a US citizen I would make Enquiries into joining the US coastguard or something to get the title of seafarer and go from there. If you want to dodge the classroom. At least the training will be free. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st April 2024 at 12:42 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like many on this site, left school at 15. I had to fill in work time until I was 16 and could join the MN. I had a number of jobs in that year, the first job, drilling holes in small bolts, I lasted five days in that, I broke too many drill bits. Next making bricks, (piece work) damn near killed me, quit after five days. I finally ended up in a restaurant on the front in Southend-On-Sea, frying chips. And then my 16th birthday and Gravesend and then a Catering Boy in the Galley. That's the start of my chosen Line of work leading to President and CEO of an International Remote-Site- Catering Company in an office on Madison Ave. New York, USA.

Timing is everything. Union-Castle Line developed a four-year apprentice chef program. I was given 2 years credit for time served. You had to do two trips on a UCL liner then go to the company school in Woolwich for a six-week training course. Most apprentices hated it as they did not live in London, so it meant camping out at the Seaman's Mission. So, they dodged the recruiter. I volunteered to go, so I was doing one six-week trip to the Cape and back, five days leave and in the school for six weeks as my future wife lived in London, and I could stay at my Grandparents home in London. I not only got to see my girlfriend, but I was getting first class training at the UCSL school. And I got my Ship Cook's B.O.T. ticket at 19.

I never realized at the time that the M.N was dying. For some a slow death for people in catering rapid, with passenger liner companies closing down and scrapping liners. I never saw it coming because I emigrated first to Canada then to the Sates to California.

I did realize that I was lacking in education, and I took home study and night school courses, first to finish high school to US standards, then I was able to take home study college courses in English and Business Math (Accounting etc.).

The M.N. was a blessing to people like you and me. We could receive training, see the world, learn how to relate to fellow workers in close, confined quarters, and to obey orders and to give instructions humanly. So sad that those opportunities are gone. If not gone drastically limited.

Hard to say cheers, but cheers anyway, Rodney
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

10. Thanks Tony Taylor, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, j.sabourn, Johnny Kieran liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#36 Rodney the first ships cook I ever sailed with was ex army and he must have been the worse I have ever sailed with. All that was required being a cook by profession was 1 days seatime , the other 40 odd crew members must have had similar feelings because it was a familiar sight to see the mess tins finishing up over his head. Some memory’s we never forget. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#37. Same same Rodney but was a day school I went to until 16 . In the interval still had weekend and evening jobs such as in a butchers and a cobblers shop.I lived in Northumberland at that era in time 1952 and South shields was in Durham, so all my allowances came from Northumberland. My only outlay was the bus fare from the ferry to the converted school an old youth hostel in Westoe. Fees were paid and a book allowance of 10 pounds paid by Northumberland County Council. Both areas today come under Tyne and Wear another hiccup by our esteemed leaders in controversy . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The gov here has said it would like to see more female tradies such as brickies , chippies etc.
    There are a few and i know a waitress who is doing a sparkies apprenticeship.

But many females who do have the skills and have done their time say they do not always feel welcome on site.
    Building is, and has been for most times, a male domain so understandable why some feel out of place.

But some of them are doing well, how many more will join is debatable.

John, you said you prefer training on the job, would that include getting the leg over?? Just asking.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes j.sabourn, Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John I also said I was not referring to any sexual derivations. What word did I spell wrong sexual or derivations. Getting the leg over would have problems with me still using a crutch, now instead of a crutch I should have said walking stick and even then both words bring visions of unholy sights. Cheers JS
    R575129

16. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast