Thread: Operation Neptune

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Operation Neptune

Appreciated.

Keith.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From the nineteenth century, right into the second half of the twentieth, hundreds ships carried coal from North East England down the East coast of England to the southern ports. During World War II they fed the armaments factories and kept fires in domestic hearths in London and the South East. The men who sailed on the colliers were known as "The Coal-Scuttle Brigade" and during the war they suffered terrible losses in the North Sea. This little poem is about counting the lighthouses and lightships from just south of the Humber to the mouth of the Tyne. It is a simple thing, but it is all about isolation, the end of a journey, and the promise of home.

Coasters' song

First the Dudgeon, then the Spurn,
    Flamborough Head is next in turn,
    Filey Brig as you pass by
    Whitby Light bears northerly.
    Huntley Cliff the great highland
    Is five and twenty from Sunderland;
    Our Old Man says, if wind holds right,
    With luck we'll be in Shields tonight.

https://www.thereader.org.uk/coasters-song/
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

3. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Lewis McColl, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot on here I would of imagined sailed on them. They were called flat irons in the NE later on purpose built ones, I tried myself at one time to get a job on them but was knocked back by one of the unions, could of been either as had a certificate of competency and they reckoned it could cause problems both on the deck and on the bridge for knowing too much. sometimes people don’t like old routines of demarcation altered and reckoned I would be setting a precedence. The colliers in my days worked on the NE coast agreement which was watch ashore watch on board , which literally meant those from the NE were off when the ship in the Tyne , and those from London were off when ship at Woolwich or Battersea or wherever. Cappy would know more , as too much water under the bridge on other agreements for me since then to remember in full. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th November 2021 at 01:32 AM.
    R575129

5. Likes Marian Gray, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    A lot on here I would of imagined sailed on them. They were called flat irons in the NE later on purpose built ones, I tried myself at one time to get a job on them but was knocked back by one of the unions, could of been either as had a certificate of competency and they reckoned it could cause problems both on the deck and on the bridge for knowing too much. . JS
    Doubt you would have set a precedent John, all the Masters I sailed with in Stephenson Clarke and CEGB in the 1950's and later in the 60's in my coastal times had MFG Certificates. The only Flat Irons were those designed to go under the Thames bridges. They were around 2200 DWCC and the steam ones were a pain in the butt having to lower and raise the funnel and getting smothered in soot and choked with smoke when on Stand-by aft. Also the masts had to be raised and lowered on night passages because of Nav lights, daytime passages you could leave the masts down, but not the funnel of course, luckily everything was on cantilevers, but still need the capstan for the funnel and the windlass for foremast and hatch winch for mainmast. At sea in ballast you could not see ahead because of the foc'le head, always a bridge wing job, loaded they were like submarines. The other normal bridge amidships with two or three decks were a great relief and accommodation quite good. You wouldn't have liked them anyway as you had to wear uniforms and rank, most chose battledress, you could get a thicker jumper underneath

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was an ABs job I was after Ivan as wanted time at home or as near to it as could get. Anyhow got work on the ore carriers just as good. After being turned down for the flatties . Which went on longer than expected, there is a big difference between 9 month trips and a maximum of 6 weeks . Cheers JS .
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    It was an ABs job I was after Ivan as wanted time at home or as near to it as could get. Anyhow got work on the ore carriers just as good. After being turned down for the flatties . Which went on longer than expected, there is a big difference between 9 month trips and a maximum of 6 weeks . Cheers JS .
    john cant agree more ....the ore carriers were one pleasure of a job ....short trips....all ratings own cabin .....top food steaks regular ....choice of breakfast .....plenty overtime ....saved enough to get a good engagement ring ....and really put some money aside ....only drawback ...seven islands in winter north atlantic ...sometimes wedged on cabin deck to get a kip....to old for that sort of crap now ...sailed in the Mabel warwick ...the Aldersgate .... the Sheaf field .....best jobs ever all out of shields....must say after that no other vessels were a patch on them regards cappy ....ps can you send the 3 shillings and ninepence ....as old george the donkey will like a truss of hay .....louis the fly is wanting old george for the xmas nativity....even the old george disgraced himself last year .....ps he is getting a bit loose in his old age.....that is old george i mean ....dont know about louis......cappy

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Aldersgate name sounds very familiar the two company’s i was with that Biscos had charter with were Dalgliesh and J.I.J with 5 years in Between, wont swear to it but I think the Beechwood may have been the old Aldersgate . If it was left the 3/9 d on the top of the spud machine knowing you would probably go back there some day. They may have brought the new currency out in between , but that’s the luck of the draw. Losers weepers , winners keepers. Cheers JS

If wasn’t he Aldersgate then it was the Bishopsgate so you may have to rummage around a bit. Hope you find before Xmas . Don’t forget that diamond ring you promised Pat. For long service in place of a Medal. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th November 2021 at 02:38 PM.
    R575129

12. Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3