Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Windrush Day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Windrush Day.

Hi Vic,
    lovely to speak to you, and may I say at the outset I have no firm evidence of how this journey would have been documented; perhaps he had his birth certificate from Jamaica plus a copy of his parents Passport, I do not know. That may have been the only authentification he required to enter Jamaica, the problem arose when he wished to return to the UK. Reading 'The Guardian' today they say 'Someone who by any reckoning was British was refused entry to his own country on the grounds that he might not " leave the UK"'. What one may assume from this is that he could come as a visitor, but may not remain, an alien in his own country, with family and employment roots here.

May I say, it pains me that we, as a nation, will happily accept Russians, Americans and South Americans, in their tens of thousands, but find it difficult to accommodate our 'darker' brethren from the Commonwealth, unless it suits us. I find the whole thing indicative of the world in which we live; we were not too fussy when hundreds of thousands of Indians fought in WW1, and died,; and not too fussy when a like number, along with people from the Caribbean, fought in WW2. We owe these people a grant of thanks for us being such a wonderful conglomeration of people; I am proud to be part of such a stupendous groupage of peoples.
    Cheers, Paul.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Paul, it is rather annoying to say the least, that we seem to accept all peoples apart from our darker Commonwealth Brethren, people who have more right to be here than some.
    Vic

3. Thanks Paul Johnson thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vic,
    I could not agree more, is it not strange that we laud countries like America, with their racism and polariisation, and forget our own Asian community that look after their elders as a matter of pride and duty.
    We are all a disparate group of people, especially when we were in the MN, I never remember the issue of race rearing its head.
    Cheers, Paul.

5. Likes vic mcclymont, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2,000 Chinese merchant seamen were forcibly repatriated from Liverpool after World War Two, the sailors crewed British ships bringing arms and food from America.

But the men, some of whom had married English women, were deported in 1946.

Deportation orders were served by the Home Office on the Chinese seamen during a series of police swoops on the Liverpool dock area.
    Within 48 hours the sailors were on their way back to China.

During World War Two there were many thousands of Chinese seamen in the British merchant marine and Liverpool was where they were based.

Liverpool and it's Chinese Children

Say's much.

10 graves.jpg

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 29th June 2020 at 03:26 AM.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

7. Likes Paul Johnson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It appears a little odd that he could go to WI and be refused re-entry to UK.
    To travel to WI he must have had a passport, one would assume a British one if he has been in UK that long.
    From what I know of the process of passports he would ,or should, have been entitled to a British one based on the manner in which he first entered the country.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes vic mcclymont liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He had his original passport and used it many times
    and returned here without problem, then red tape
    kicked in, without warning.

K.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnson View Post
    Hi Vic,
    I could not agree more, is it not strange that we laud countries like America, with their racism and polariisation, and forget our own Asian community that look after their elders as a matter of pride and duty.
    We are all a disparate group of people, especially when we were in the MN, I never remember the issue of race rearing its head.
    Cheers, Paul.

This way: On 30th June 1937, Wales welcomed its first Basque refugee children from the Spanish Civil War. In total, of the 4000 children who were evacuated to the U.K, over 200 were to find homes in Swansea, Old Colwyn, Caerleon and Brechfa in Carmarthenshire.

K.

12. Likes Paul Johnson liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2