Thread: the Battle of Jutland

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default the Battle of Jutland

A full account of the Battle of Jutland narrated by Admiral Jellicoe’s grandson as part of the Jutland Centenary Commemorations. The 24 minute animation gives the viewer an overview of the major “chapters” of the battle – the opening battle cruiser action, the Grand Fleet deployment, the Turn Away and the Night Destroyer actions. Additionally the 1917 submarine campaign is explained as a consequence of Scheer’s decision not to risk another Fleet-to-Fleet encounter. Graphics, animation, animated maps and contemporary photography illustrate key points.

https://vimeo.com/162655850?fbclid=I...iR7qgRSD3R60zI
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

2. Thanks Paul Johnson, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: the Battle of Jutland

The Battle of Jutland during World War I commenced on 31st May 1916 at which Vice Admiral Sir Hugh Evan-Thomas from the Llwynmadog Estate near Beulah, Powys distinguished himself and earned glowing tributes from Admiral John Jellicoe. Evan Thomas was subsequently knighted for his actions.

The Battle of Jutland is considered to be the main naval battle of World War One. Even though the British Navy lost considerably more men and ships than the German Navy and Admiral John Jellicoe's tactics received much criticism, it is considered as a British victory, as the German Navy was never in a position again to put to sea during the war and the British Navy remained a powerful fighting force.

The History of Wales
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

4. Thanks Paul Johnson thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My grandfather was a stoker at the battle of Jutland, must have been one of the worst jobs on a warship in battle. I saw a dock on that battle some time back, and most problems were desk top admirals again, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the afternoon of 31 May, Beatty’s battle cruisers encountered their German counterparts under Vice Admiral Franz von Hipper.

Related Cemeteries & Memorials

Most of those Commonwealth sailors who lost their lives have no grave but the sea and their names are inscribed on one of the three naval memorials constructed by the CWGC after the end of the war. These stand at Portsmouth, Plymouth and Chatham - the three manning ports of the navy during the war.

https://www.cwgc.org/history-and-arc...tle-of-jutland

7. Thanks Harry Nicholson, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Paul Johnson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith,
    Many thanks for this, my Dad was on the Boadicea, a light cruiser (designated a Scout cruiser), along with her Class member the Bellona, she had been Destroyer Flotilla leaders. But at Jutland they were both attached to Battle squadrons, the 1st. and 2nd. I think, they were both sent to the rear and never fired their guns. My Dad did say that they did signal repeating as the radio equipment was not working well so they repeated the signal hoists for those ships further down the line, he was 17 and had been in the Navy at the age of 14 or 15, definitely just before the start of the war.
    Cheers, Paul.

9. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just out of interest Paul what was your Fathers name and place and Date of Birth.
    As said just interested
    Thanks
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

11. Thanks Keith at Tregenna thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc,
    The man I call Father was not my biological Dad, I was fostered by the Fitz-Hardy's as a child of thirteen months, and became their 'youngest' from that time; my Mother was unmarried, which in 1950 was bad enough, but the to have a child with an Anglo-Indian was definitely infra dig. My maternal Grandfather would not allow me in his house, I was very proud of my Mother who had to give up her child, I am also proud to be part of the Fitz-Hardy family. Apologies for potted history, explains different names.
    My Dad was H.J.Fitz-Hardy, always known as Jim, except when he worked at Mount Pleasant sorting Office where he was Known as Joe! He was born in London in 1899, he left school early, he told me he used to deliver medicines for a doctor's patients; I am sure he joined the RN before the start of WW1, he served for fourteen years, then did a seventeen day trip with Canadian Pacific before joining the GPO. He served 28 years with the GPO, interrupted for three years, 1942-1945, whilst serving again with the RN. Besides the 'Boadicea' I believe he served on the 'Indefatigable' and 'Repulse', these maybe incorrect as it is too late to 'phone my sister for confirmation, as she is the self appointed family archivist.

As a matter of interest my mother was helped by the Thomas Coram Foundation (Foundling Hospital) in placing me for adoption, Thomas Coram was a sea captain, as he and his wife could not have children they started The Foundling Hospital, there is a painting by Hogarth called I think the 'The Captain in a red coat'.

Like most people I have admiral traits as well less admiral ones, the admiral ones come from my biological mother, the Fitz-Hardy's and my time in the Merchant Navy, apologies for waffling.
    Cheers, Paul.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

H.J. Fitz- Hardy Born 1899 Twickenham, Middlesex. Royal Navy Service Service J33979

GBM_ADM188_714_0_0479.jpg

Just according t the date of Engagement and period of Contract he was nearly 18 then in 1917 and signed on for a 12 Year Period. In fact on his Birthday he Joined !
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 2nd June 2020 at 12:57 AM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc,
    You are a diamond, obviously I got Indefatigable confused with Impregnable, but my old Dad would be rightly miffed, how could I forget the 'Ramillies', we saw a model of her at the IWM Kennington, I believe my Dad was loader for the winning Lewis Gun Fleet competition on that ship, I was mistaken, he was just eighteen at Jutland, he signed his adult papers for twelve years on his eighteenth birthday, that ties in with his assertion that he was at least a couple of years as a boy rating, his time as a 'boy' not being recognised as counting for time served.
    Is there any way I can get a more 'readable' copy? My sister is becoming difficult to persuade to release documents, dementia I am afraid. Once again many thanks.
    Cheers, Paul.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Paul
    As its difficult to upload alarger Files (Only certain sizes allowed, if you copy that Document and save to your Computer then Open it with something like Irfranview Free Version (I have used it for many Years)
    Thne you can Resize to what you need to read it correctly. I have done this on my side and read a lot of what is on that. So thats the best way out now ! LOL
    cHEERS

Let me know how you go!

https://www.irfanview.com/

Download the Plugins as well Paul and get the 64 bit Version

R697530