Thread: The Anzac Landing on Brighton Beach

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Anzac Landing on Brighton Beach

Hi Team
    New Zealand and New Zealanders feature in This Month in History with Anzac Day remembrance events scheduled for 25th April. Thanks to Old Salts Longcast
    Regards
    Peter Hogg
    RNZNA South Canterbury N.Z.

Attached pic HMS NEW ZEALAND jpeg

THIS MONTH IN HISTORY
    25 April 1915 Originally scheduled for 23 April, the Gallipoli invasion was delayed for two days by bad weather. On Sunday, 25 April, the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force launched its invasion of the Gallipoli peninsula. First ashore was the ANZAC, which had moved forward to the nearby Greek island of Lemnos from Egypt in mid April. From Lemnos warships and merchant ships transported troops to the landing zone, where they were loaded into ships’ longboats that were towed inshore by steamboats, before rowing to the beaches. The ANZAC landing site was ‘Z Beach’, later known as Brighton Beach.

Anzac Cove looking towards Arıburnu, 1915
    Anzac Cove (Turkish: Anzak Koyu) is a small cove on the Gallipoli peninsula inTurkey. It became famous as the site of World War I landing of the ANZACs (Australian and
    New Zealand Army Corps) on 25 April 1915. The cove is 600 metres (2,000 ft) long, bounded by the headlands of Arıburnu to the north and Little Arıburnu, known as Hell Spit, to the south. Following the landing at Anzac Cove, the beach became the main base for the Australian and New Zealandtroops for the eight months of the Gallipoli campaign.

22 April 1916 On 22 April HMS New Zealand and her sister ship HMAS Australia were part of a fleet patrolling northwest of the Horn Reefs. The ships were zigzagging to avoid submarine attack and, when heavy fog descended, HMAS Australia collided with HMS New Zealand twice in three minutes. HMS New Zealand was quickly repaired and went on to serve for the rest of WW1, including seeing action at the Battles of ‘Jutland’ and ‘Heligoland Bight’. HMAS Australia took seven months to repair, missed the Battle of Jutland, and was never to fire a shot in anger.
    HMS New Zealand (1911)

Basic data

Type: battlecruiser

Class :
    Class Indefatigable

By Name: New Zealand

Start of construction: June 20, 1910

Launched: July 1, 1911

Commissioned services: November 19, 1912

Fate: Sold for scrapping on 19 December 1922
    Tactical and technical data
    Displacement :
    22,490 tons
    Length: 179.9 m
    Width: 24.4 m
    Ponor: 8.2 m
    Drive: 4 × shaft Parsons
    31 × Babcock & Wilcox boiler
    33 000 Kw
    Fuel: coal
    Speed: 25 knots
    Reach: 12,390 km
    Crew: 580
    Armour: 46 cm
    Armament: 4 × 304.8 mm cannon
    16 × 101.6 mm cannon
    Aircraft: 2 × Sopwith
    HMS New Zealand was Battlecruiser class Indefatigable , belonging to the British Royal Navy . He participated in the First World War and fought for example in the Battle of Heligoland Bight , in the Battle of Dogger Bank and in the Battle of Jutland . Finally, December 19, 1922 was sold for scrap.

Design and construction [ edit | edit source ]

New Zealand
    Class battlecruiser Indefatigable was built to eliminate the major shortcomings of the previousclass Invincible . Class ships Indefatigable were smaller, but despite improvements shortcomings was the first of this class cruiser, HMSIndefatigable , worse than the oldest German battlecruiser SMS Von der Tann . British command before the construction of HMS New Zealand and its sister ship HMAS Australia managed to get on the German battlecruiser amount of information that could newly constructed ships apply. The length of New Zealand, reaching almost 180 meters, a width of 24.4 meters and a draft of 8.2 meters reached. The ship drove four shafts firm Parsons and 31 boilers Babcock & Wilcox brand, which had coal as a fuel (that the ship could hold 3,200 tons). This gave the ship propulsion power of 33 000 kW and a speed of 25 knots. The main armament of the ship, eight 305 mm guns, were placed in fourdvoudělových towers . Secondary armament consisted of sixteen 102 mm cannon, mounted in the hull. During the war, was added to a 57 mm anti-aircraft gun and the boat was placed fire protection. In 1918 the ship was located and two fighter aircraft Sopwith Pup used to attack German Zeppelin reconnaissance aircraft Sopwith 1˝ Strutter .

30 April 1917 the Q-ship HMS Prize [Q21] was in action with German submarine U-93 120 miles southwest of Ireland. New Zealander Acting Lieutenant W.E. Sanders, RNR was awarded the Victoria Cross as the Commanding Officer. He became the first and only New Zealander to be awarded the British Empire’s highest decoration in a naval action.

William Sanders wins New Zealand's only VC in a naval action
    30 April 1917
    Lieutenant-Commander William Sanders was awarded theVictoria Cross for his bravery when the Q-ship he commanded was attacked by a German U-boat on 30 April 1917. He became the first – and only – New Zealander to win the British Empire’s highest military decoration in a naval action.
    Sanders was commissioned in the Royal Naval Reserve in April 1916, and less than a year later he was made commander of HMS Prize, a small schooner which flew the merchant ensign but was loaded with concealed guns. Known as a Q-ship, Prize was designed to deceive and destroy German U-boats.
    On 30 April 1917, HMS Prize was on patrol south-west of Ireland when it was sighted and engaged by a German submarine, U-93. A decoy ‘panic party’ launched a boat and pulled clear of the Prize, which was shelled for nearly half an hour before U-93approached it. Meanwhile, the remainder of the ship’s crew readied their guns. ThePrize was hit many times, including at the waterline in three places, and the engine room set on fire. Sanders crawled along the deck to organise his crew for their attack. When the submarine was just 70 yards away,
    The white ensign was immediately hoisted, the screens dropped, and all guns opened fire. A shell struck the foremost gun of the submarine, blowing it to atoms and annihilating the crew. Another shot demolished the conning tower, and at the same time a Lewis gun raked the survivors off the submarine’s deck.
    For the bravery he showed during the setting of the trap and the eventual attack on U-93, Sanders was awarded the Victoria Cross. As the operation of Q-ships was highly secret, the official announcement of the award in the London Gazette was initially very brief. It was only after the war that the details of the attack could be released. By that time, however, Sanders and his crew had fallen victim to a torpedo from another German U-boat on the night of 13/14 August 1917.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian Probetts (site admin)
    R760142

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Anzac Landing on Brighton Beach

Hi Brian.
    My Dad told me he was on or maybe going on a Q ship in the first war, I have his discharge book, which is a MN discharge book issued by the Board of Trade, but the photos of him are in the uniform of the RN, Hugh says he was probably signed up for special service, anyway the war finished before he could get involved. His book is in pristine condition not like mine.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have two union flags flying from my house this weekend.
    The neighbours, [ the English ones, the others look on it with contempt, ] didn't know about Gallipoli, I had to tell them.
    They do not seem to do history in schools these days.
    Cheers
    Brian.

4. Thanks N/A, Lou Barron thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

.Just read this disgusting news......
    Print Email Facebook Twitter More

Anzac Day 2015: Vandals target Australian war cemetery in English village of Harefield

Updated about 10 hours ago

Graffiti on information board in Harefield Anzac cemetery
    Photo: The newly erected information board in the main Australian war cemetery in the village of Harefield was painted with graffiti.

Related Story: London's Harefield Hospital to remember Anzac patients

Video: UK village school keeps Anzac memory alive (ABC News)

Map: United Kingdom

The main Australian war cemetery in the UK has been targeted by vandals who sawed through a flagpole and spray-painted a memorial on the eve of Anzac Day.

The attack took place at St Mary's churchyard in Harefield in Middlesex, outside London.

More than 100 Anzacs and one Australian nurse, treated at the nearby Harefield Hospital during WWI, are buried on the site.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC), which looks after the graveyard, said today's Anzac Day service would still go ahead, after repairs had taken place.

"Disgusting, absolutely disgusting, for what these lads gave up for us - to be treated like that is just shocking," the commission's Barry Rushton said.

The graves at Harefield have a unique scroll design which was chosen by Anzac patients brought to Harefield - then known as Australian Auxiliary Hospital No. 1 - for treatment from Europe and the Middle East.

Earlier this year the CWGC restored the graves of the Australian servicemen buried at Harefield.

"Ahead of the ceremony, we will either make a clean cut through the pole and have it erected at a lower height, or we will support the pole with brackets," a CWGC spokesman said.

"It will be safe and usable for the ceremony.

"The vandalism is very upsetting for the Commission after all the work that has taken place over the last three months."

Harefield's annual Anzac Day service, which features local school children laying flowers on every grave, started in 1921.

A new visitor information panel featuring smartphone technology revealing the personal stories of some of those buried on the site was also targeted by the vandals.

The CWGC said it was not yet known if the panel unveiling will go ahead.

6. Thanks Lou Barron thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While i did not go on the Anzac day dawn service my eldest son and i went to the Monticillo Veterons home and it was a very lovely service with a lot of very important people there and its was a very big crowd i was very impressed with the service.
    I did managed to get to the Mayor of Dunedin and also a couple of MPs and i stressed to them that on the MN day there was nothing mentioned and they told me they will look into to it i also have got a meeting with one of the MP press my claims on behalf of the MN to make sure that something will be done lets hope it comes to something