Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ANZAC Day

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: ANZAC Day

Friday night will be going to the Ceremony of the Empty Chair at my Mother Lodge. Although 150 klicks away have been going every year out here. Wives and families are allowed into the Lodge Room, and an Army or Naval bugler opens it up before the ceremony begins. A service is usually conducted by a serving Defence Force person, and everyone goes to eat and drink afterwards. Let the wife drive that night. Most of the faces one sees at the Dawn service on TV the following day at Kings Park in Perth. Some of them old boys still make both services, they don't suffer from any depression or getting past it. Seems is one day that the whole of Australia speaks as one, and this year being the 100th birthday of Gallipoli makes it extra special. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sounds like a nice day john .....going to shields today ......just to see old friends and look at the water and piers etc ;.......regards cappy

3. Thanks j.sabourn, Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Likes Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

always play the song by the pogues dirty old town on my journey up .....met my love by the gasworks wall.....but must say shields is cleaned up now.....you dont hear ships blowing all night and theair is cleaner no coal dust off the staithes.....but its a lovely old town.....regards a sentimental cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anzac Day terror plot.

Five teenagers arrested in Australia for planning ISIS-inspired attack.

The Bar-Stewards are everywhere.

Fred.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are only the ones they have caught, there is a hell of a lot more where they came from.
    Give the berstereds asylum and they kick you in the goolies.
    170,000 have come into Europe in the last three months. all want to come to England.
    ISIL Announced a few weeks ago their operatives are in Europe and UK , at least 5,000 awaiting the call, they come in with the asylums. The daft and stupid do gooders say we should take more in.
    It is an Invasion like Normandy.

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mark Twain.jpg

No comment necessary from me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    It will be a very big day here and in NZ. But I often wonder if the public know the truth about it all. There is little of it taught in school history and there have been so many poor versions of the truth in television and movies.
    All we can do is tell the truth abut the dead and all of those who went to Galippoli did so in good faith in defence of the nation.

Sign of the the times, John.
    Even that former most revered figure,Simpson ,of "Simpson and the Donkey!" Fame never seems to get a mention these days.
    As you'd know ,being out here.we are bombarded by the Media with Stories. Which after they've tampered with the facts, .resembles more like Aesop's Fables
    For instance,at Tweed Heads,boat harbour ,Renactment, of the Landing.The only
    Flags flown, will be the Australia and N.Z.
    Here is a bit of reality .Scroll Down.

There were calm men too, and their example was priceless. Margetts told Bean: "A young midshipman in our cutter stood up. It did one the world of good to see him standing up. He had a great effect on our men. hipman:

Midshipman Longley-Cook was in charge of the Prince of Wales number five tow. "Go for'ard and get both bowmen up out of their forepeak and tell them to feel for the bottom with their boathooks," he told his coxswain Leading Seaman Albert Balsom, when the boats were nearing the shore. Balsom had served with Captain Scott in the Antarctic and was a fabulously strong, brave man. "Why only one?" Longley-Cook asked a minute or two later. "I couldn't get the other able seaman up, sir. He's too frightened to move," Balsom replied. And while they were speaking, a rifle bullet entered the compartment and struck Balsom in the spine, killing him instantly. A few minutes later, an Australian officer in one of the boats started to issue some orders, whereupon he was interrupted by Longley-Cook who, in a clear authoritative voice with a polished English accent (so I was told by an Australian who was there) said to the officer, "I beg your pardon, sir. I am in charge of this tow." The officer subsided into silence immediately and the troops in his boat were heard to mutter, "Good on yer, kid!"

Midshipman Longley-Cook was in charge of the Prince of Wales number five tow. "Go for'ard and get both bowmen up out of their forepeak and tell them to feel for the bottom with their boathooks," he told his coxswain Leading Seaman Albert Balsom, when the boats were nearing the shore. Balsom had served with Captain Scott in the Antarctic and was a fabulously strong, brave man. "Why only one?" Longley-Cook asked a minute or two later. "I couldn't get the other able seaman up, sir. He's too frightened to move," Balsom replied. And while they were speaking, a rifle bullet entered the compartment and struck Balsom in the spine, killing him instantly. A few minutes later, an Australian officer in one of the boats started to issue some orders, whereupon he was interrupted by Longley-Cook who, in a clear authoritative voice with a polished English accent (so I was told by an Australian who was there) said to the officer, "I beg your pardon, sir. I am in charge of this tow." The officer subsided into silence immediately and the troops in his boat were heard to mutter, "Good on yer, kid!".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it's worth a repeat showing. This is the Australian War Cemetery in Lae. I am quite proud to be the official maintenance contractor to War Graves for its upkeep. I even supervised the casting of the new Dutch stool grave markers right here on site - all 2,820 of them!

CWGC - Cemetery Details

If this doesn't open, try post #9!!
    Last edited by Braid Anderson; 20th April 2015 at 09:07 AM.

11. Thanks cappy, Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well done braid.....the war graves do a great job .....france is immaculate,,,,and rightly so......we must always honour our peoples.....near our village ...in yorks is awar graves cemetary .....one very poignant stone states in memory of ....xxxxus air force pilot ....his name and age 21.......and it states his young brother is also missing over germany .......sadly missed mother and father .......and the state they come from and there hometown ....it always makes me stop and read it and think ....how lucky our generation has been ....overall ......and yet we stilll get the moaners and whingers telling us how hard things are......some just cannot enjoy life ......regards cappy

13. Thanks N/A, Braid Anderson thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Lacey View Post
    Anzac Day terror plot.

Five teenagers arrested in Australia for planning ISIS-inspired attack.

The Bar-Stewards are everywhere.

Fred.
    According to the news tonight they are connected to a group in London.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Frederick Lacey, Braid Anderson liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2