Thread: This month in History 16th March 1845

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default This month in History 16th March 1845

Hi Team
    The following event from this day in history for your interest.
    Regards
    Peter Hogg

16 March 1845
    The survivors from Kororareka arrived in Auckland on 16 March 1845.

Battle.

After the Māori had removed the British colours from Flagstaff Hill in Kororareka three times, they came back to remove it again. This time Chief Hone Heke and his men were allied with Chief Te Ruki Kawiti and his followers so the two contingents attacked the British colony in a combined effort. British forces were outnumbered. The sloop-of-war HMS Hazard landed a party to aid the 96th Regiment of British Army infantry underLieutenant Colonel William Hulme. In all there were about 140 soldiers, sailors and marines. The American sloop USS St. Louis, under Commodore Foxhall A. Parker, was also present and her crew assisted in evacuating the British citizens.[3] Heavy skirmishing lasted for a while until a large explosion destroyed all of the defender's reserve ammunition. The explosion also set a building on fire which spread. After that the British had no choice but to retreat to the harbour, taking with them the civilian population. HMSHazard then bombarded the advancing Māori forces. Eleven British defenders were killed and at least eight others were wounded in the attack. Six men from the Hazard who died in the action are remembered by a marker in Russell; the town was mostly destroyed during the fighting.

A memorial in Russell for the men of HMS Hazard who died in the battle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian Probetts (site admin)
    R760142

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: This month in History 16th March 1845

Hi Brian.
    When we were living in Whangarie there was an island in the harbour called Limestone island, according to an article in the Library it was where the white people went when there was trouble with the Maori and waited for the gunboat to come up from Auckland. Funny thing was I used to pass this island when we used to go to Whangarie on the USS colliers, when we lived there we used to the watch the cement boat Golden Bay come pass it. It's Maori name was Matakohe
    Cheers Des
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 16th March 2015 at 12:37 AM.

3. Likes Braid Anderson, Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: This month in History 16th March 1845

Hi Brian.
    When I replied to your post I had to go outside and ask my wife what then name of that island was, She jumped and said how did you know I was just thinking about it, bit frightening when someone can read your mind as she can mine as she has done it many times.
    Cheers Des