Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nearest you came from "Missing the Ship"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nearest you came from "Missing the Ship"

Hi you all, just out of interest, can any of you beat this ? ( Pilot Boats aside) the nearest miss of mine was at the Isle of Grain on the "British Patrol" in the mid '60's, she was fully loaded ready to go to Norway, singled up and about 6ft of the dock. I just ran as fast as possible jumped and grabbed the rail caught it (sore bloody shin afterwards), bigtime lucky boy,went down my cabin got changed went up on the Wheel relieved my watchmate. The Captain just looked at me put his eyes to heaven never said a word. That is what you call a HAPPY ship.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

I almost missed an elders and fyfes boat out of garsten once I had a bright idea that the catering crew put in a few bob each and I would go down too the nearest pub and buy a carry out for us ,so I took an empty suitcase and got the carry out but when I got back too the dock the ship was in the locks , a couple of the deck hands dropped my a rope ladder and a rope for the suitcase , all the while the skipper on the bridge was watching and though I was a late joiner , did,nt know the suitcase was full of booze , it was the first time I climbed a rope ladder and its not easy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nearest you came to Missing the Ship.

How stupid was this.We had been away just on six months our final port to sign off was Manchester.We entered the first lock on the Ship canal,I noticed there was a phone box on the quay and i thought it would be a good idea to phone my wife to tell her I would be home that night.There was about a 12 foot drop from the deck to the quay,there was a small Pilot ladder on deck so I made it fast climbed down and into the phone box.I was in the phone box quite some time trying to get through without success.I came out of the phone box and the small ladder I put over the side was now about 30 foot up in the air.(We were light ship).
    I had forgotten the whole reason for going into the lock was to raise us up to go upto Manchester.I think its 40 foot the eventual hight the ship is raised.There I was on the quay,the last day after 6 months away and I was going to miss her.I decided to go over arm up one of the fender ropes,quite dangerous but the only way out.Up I went stopped for a breather,looked around and noticed all these faces at the windows of an office block close by.I got to the top and put one arm over the bulwark,there I was stuck.Lucky for me an engineer was sitting on deck having a smoko he spotted me and dragged me over.
    I think that would've been the most unluckiest or stupidist V.N.C.on record.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Misssing The Ship

It was February 1948 and having signed on the SS&A Morton Bay berthed in KG V Dock London I made a quick dash out to Ealing to see my Aunt Lil knowing that we sailed at about six am for Sydney.

It was late at night when I got the District Line train for East Ham (for the Manor Way bus to the docks) and as we rattled along I fell asleep. The next thing I knew the guard was shaking me telling me that this was Dagenham, it was 3 am and the train was not going any further. Also there were no more trains until morning.

In a panic I ran up to the stairs to the road above - pitch dark and no traffic. Shortly a black Wolseley pulled up next to me full of cops asking what I was about. I told my story and they gave me a lift up to the main London road, dropped me off at a bus stop with a - don't know if there are an more buses tonight!

Eventually a double decker bus came along all blacked out. I waved frantically, it pulled up and as I jumped aboard the driver said - I'm only going to Barking depot - keep your down. I went up to the cabin window and I told him my problem and asked if I could get a bus from there to KG V. Nah! he says and kept driving. Before long I realised I was in familiar territory. He had taken me all the way to the docks. I had two half crowns to my name and I asked him to have a mild and bitter on me. Her gave me a wave as he turned the big bus around and headed back to Barking depot. That was over 62 years ago and every time it comes to mind I think warmly of that decent driver.

Richard Q

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cape Town 1964 and as usual a lady was involved. Too much grog, too much of just about every thing. Came too at about 1500 with the ship due to sail at 1600. Got back to the ship about five minutes before the gangway was to be lifted. Found out from second steward that the local police had been notified of my possible jumping ship. Up in front of the skipper next day and it cost me. Logged two days, lost a days pay for not working and all overtien for the day I would normaly have got as officers steward on call. Just to add insult to injury, as I write this P. Clarke is singing 'Sailor' in the background on the radio.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Angry Definite miss

About ten years prior to your experience Happy Daze same type of thing occurred to me except on reaching dock in Cape Town also saw my ship the Dominion Monarch steaming thtough the pier heads out to sea. Only persons I could find on the now deserted dock was a couple of customs guys. They were great and said dont worry son the ships agent will put you on a train to the next port in the morning. Only problem with that was the next port was Fremantle Australia ...... They were thinking PE or Durban. Consqently locked up for three weeks until some poor guy on a Castle boat got arrested for consorting and I got his job. Noit quite so happy memories but all part of llifes rich pattern eh ? Stuart
    R396040

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't think I will ever forget the feeling of getting [actually running as the cops were after me] to the docks in Santos and seeing the stern end of the ship heading out of the harbour.
    She was homeward bound so no chance of catching her.
    Besides, the cops had other ideas.
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

Yes Jim something similar happened to me at the eastern end of the Panama Canal.About six or seven of us wingers on the Shaw Savilles Gothic went ashore for the evening.Sailing hour was 0500 next morning. At some stage during the ensueing p**s up me and another guy got seperated from the main bunch.After wandering around for hours stopping for the odd rum and coke we noticed daylight peeping over the roof tops.
    We took off for the docks like a pair of Derby runners arriving just as she was pulling away!!! Luckily a pair of deckies spotted our plight and tossed us ropes. I never sobered up so fast in my life.Reaching as high up the rope as I could I swung like an ungainly monkey my feet banging on the hull. I had enough strength to pull myself up to the rail where the deckies grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and dumped unceremoniously on the deck. I seem to recall they called me and my "hoppo"some rather blasphemous names and went off laughing.
    Needless to say the skipper and the chief steward were not amused.
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not quite missing the ship. i was on the esperence bay in brisbane and had been skating(roller skatesjohn). i picked up this girl at the rink and took her home. we were laying in a field behind her house and i heard our ships siren blast off. "hell" i said i forgot that the ship is moving to the abbatoir the other side of the river. if i miss it i would have to stay in brisbane somewhere until the next day and then catch a train about twenty miles to the abbatoir.quickly kissing the girl goodnight i put on my skates and went like the clappers down the road leaping over tramlines and getting cheers from a gang repairing them as the siren blasted again. got to the docks just as it blasted for the third time and luckily the gangway was still down as i hurtled the last few feet and grabbed it with my legs hanging in space over the water. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Neil mate that was always aproblem skippers and cheif stewards had no sence of humour and it is hard to believe that at soem time they were young lads who no doubt got into all sorts of trouble. Alf the slaughter house is still there but they have cleaned it up quite a bit. If you remember the girls name maybe I could look her up for you!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast