Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: longest time between ports

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 5 months no shore leave

Same as Captain Kong and others. 5th Eng on shell tanker SS Latia, VLCC . Slow steaming between SBM in the English Channel (Near Falmouth?) to Ras Al Khaimah SBM. It took us 5 months to go UK/Ras Al Khaimah/UK.
    Only ever got to see the 3rd Engineer, 2nd Mate, the officers' stewards and Radio Officer to talk to. Now I know the meaning of "tankeritus"!
    Paid off the ship as we passed the French coast, climbed down rope ladder into launch OK. But when I actually stood on shore got the same panic attack as Captain Kong for a few seconds. Flew back to London Heathrow a stranger to my own country!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Longest time between ports

Antwerp to Shanghai non stop, max speed 15 knots or max daily fuel consumption - on charter to the Chinese government and carrying bulk fertilizer. We had to stop for bunkers or fresh water but did not break sea watches. On arrival at Shanghai we were taken up the river as far as we could go before running aground and left there for three weeks with surprise musters two or three times a week at 2 am and this in January, by the security services. Time at sea was 55 days plus 21 days at anchor about 3 hundred miles inland from the port of Shanghai. All good fun, regards Peter in NZ.

3. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Longest time port to port

Believe have done this one before if remember rightly said 98 days, Buenos Aires to Japan. Ship Avonmoor 3 cylinder Doxford. (sometimes) Cheers John Sabourn

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

johncame up from oz in avonmoor she was being sold tothe chinese she was rotten thro so slow she took 3days from shields pier to the groyne ithink 59 but nice to come to canny shields
    regards cappy from shields

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Avonmoor

The 98 day trip was in 54 cappy mainly on 2 cylinders. In 55 I went to the Glenmoor and was like being in the Ritz in comparison. The first Master on the Avon was Howie a huge overweight bloke who died at an early age and was a single man, their was consternation in the office in Pilgrim street when they saw how much money he left and were wondering how he saved so much, suppose it takes a crook to suspect everyone else. Howie was from South Shields. Cheers hope you stayed sober over the new year. John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Suez Canal Closed To Shipping

Karachi to Liverpool lost the use of one lung. 31 days at sea. Not moaning there were guys done that in open lifeboats after being torpedoed. We may have had our shower and water rationed, And low on stores but at least we survived the plus side we ran out of lime juice Happy days lads Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Longest

I think Louis Barron holds the record, if I remember rightly it was three and a half years or perhaps more

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default On The Hook,,

When you think back at our once Merchant Navy that traded with the world, Along with other ships trading in and out of our sea ports, It was nothing to be on the hook at the bar light ship on Merseyside awaiting a berth for a week or more. I remember every morning for 10 days after a trip on a Palm Boat the agent would come aboard on a launch or the skipper would radio ashore all hands would be awaiting those 3 magic words { Where Going In } My how times have changed Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Terry , I had ten days at anchor by the Bar on the SUEVIC after coming home from the Ausie Coast, with a few dozen other ships. All the bronzy had faded by the time we paid off. Always a pile of ships anchored awaiting berths in those days.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember we used to get a ticket from the pool to go down to east india docks, take a look round the ship, nah , dont like, so back to the pool for something else, we didnt know we were bloody born!!!!, but we were a young head on young shoulders, took a while, but eventually we grew up!! KT

14. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast