Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: longest time between ports

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: longest time between ports

5 weeks on a bulk carrier between Chile and Japan. (Bibby Line, Pacific Bridge). Did two round trips then eventually paid off in Chile. It was the most horrendous, and I suppose, in retrospect, interesting, journey home.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan D Jones View Post
    5 weeks on a bulk carrier between Chile and Japan. (Bibby Line, Pacific Bridge). Did two round trips then eventually paid off in Chile. It was the most horrendous, and I suppose, in retrospect, interesting, journey home.
    I had to fly out to Chile at the start of the Falklands war, direct flight, long but okay, coming back was a different matter, the war well under way and because of no fly areas and airspace closed to various countries had four changes before ending up in Spain for a long time before reaching Heathrow, Chile one of my favourite countries both as a cherry youth and as an adult who being married was not allowed to sell cherries!

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My longest stint at sea 7 weeks on Cunard Champion Western Australia to Iceland.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face Re: longest time between ports

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Roberts View Post
    I think its been done before but whar was your longest time at sea between ports mine was on a blue star boat too the west coast of the states it took us 28 days too get too panama, kept breaking down in mid atlantic , and doing about 5 knots some days , when we got into the carribean we saw land and it was like we had never saw it before WOW look lads land
    28 days? I've been longer on a wave! Slow steaming on a Shell VLCC from Rotterdam to Kharg Island! Like watching paint dry. Then down to Singapore, back to the Gulf then Tranmere. 4 hours shore leave in 4 months. And they wondered why I resigned and transferred to Palm Line cargo ships. A couple of years later, working for CP Ships I was a naughty boy and got sentenced to one of their VLCCs for one trip. Four and a half months with four hours ashore in Aruba. Saved a lot of money but that's no kind of life. The only time I've been on tankers since has been to carry out inspections and audits. Rob
    R860757

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Roberts View Post
    I think its been done before but whar was your longest time at sea between ports mine was on a blue star boat too the west coast of the states it took us 28 days too get too panama, kept breaking down in mid atlantic , and doing about 5 knots some days , when we got into the carribean we saw land and it was like we had never saw it before WOW look lads land
    Albany to Swansea, 30 days .

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Already on a previous post 98 day B.A. to Japan on 2. Cylinders on a 3 cylinder Doxford. In 1955. JS
    Just seen the length of this post so must be on here somewhere think I said previously also 98 days, if not it was somewhere in the 90days FAOP to EOP . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th March 2023 at 11:32 PM.
    R575129

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For total time at sea on one ship, The British Builder 12 months with only eleven days ashore. A shangied job after her longest tow the trip before.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#177 were you with BTC Des , when the story of the day with loggings and floggings were supposedly handed out , when the crowd repainted the name of the British Workman to British Workhouse , or was that just another fable of the sea ? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    Sailing out of Swansea one didn't have a great deal of choice, A BP tanker or an old heap of a cargo boat. I was on seven BP tankers four trips on the Guardian which was a newbie. But was shangied on the Builder. I think the Workman was true, though I didn't see it, I wish we could see a picture.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1 I did quite a few long voyages without getting off the ship, Bunbury WA to Hamburg, Argentina to Japan to mention two, but by far the longest trip was from Fiji to Liverpool via Panama (MV Dartmoor) 7 weeks and two days. crossing the Pacific we had to stop for a couple of hours each day while the engineers did some essential work on the engine. But what seemed like the longest time at sea was the 21 days from Fleetwood to Iceland on the trawlers, long long hours without a break, falling asleep stood on your feet, then 3 days in Fleetwood and back again up to the Arctic. Happy days.

17. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, cappy thanked for this post
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast