Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Customs Dodges

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Customs Dodges

I remember on the Castle boat, the crew jersey with the Castle logo was very desirable ashore, so used to try and get an old blue jumper before joining the ship, and later on the cape flog the crew one, and on pay off hand the old blue one in the pack containing all the uniform, otherwise you would be charged for the jersey, kt
    R689823

2. Likes cappy, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I remember on the Castle boat, the crew jersey with the Castle logo was very desirable ashore, so used to try and get an old blue jumper before joining the ship, and later on the cape flog the crew one, and on pay off hand the old blue one in the pack containing all the uniform, otherwise you would be charged for the jersey, kt
    ##a truly cunning stunt lol cappy

4. Likes Keith Tindell, N/A, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rummage party came aboard in Cardiff to search S.S.Perelle, one of the Dory boats, went down to my cabin ,ditched all the fags, looked out of the port, dozens of cartons bobbing on the surface. Got searched, told the customs I never wore a watch, it was in the spud locker at that moment, if he'd pulled up my sleeve there was a clear imprint of it on my arm.
    she had a brother mike,
    and he had a motor bike,
    he would take you 'round the Gower,
    in a quarter of an hour.

6. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first trip was on the Gothic in 1964. When we were about to leave New Zealand to come home the "Donkey Greaser" jumped ship
    and I was offered the job. No one else seemed to want it. Part of the job was looking after the Auxiliary Boiler when in port.
    When we arrived in London I only had a couple of cartons of cigarets over the limit, and just before the shore gang took over, the rummages came aboard.
    I went up to my cabin and collected the cigarettes, took them down the engine room and hid them behind a seat next to the Auxiliary Boiler in two old lengths of spare pipe and stuffed cotton waste in each end.
    A couple of days later I went back to get them. The shore gang chap was sitting within 3 feet of my hiding place. You should have seen his face when I retrieved my booty.

Frank.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was assistant steward on the Icenic about '62 or '63. I took the job because there were no cooks jobs going at the time. The Chief Engineer had his wife on board that trip ( a lovely lady) and because of this, the ship was carrying and extra steward ( me). My job was to do nothing but look after the Chief Engineer and his wife and scrub the engineers alleyway ( least said about that, the better). When meals were served, it was my job to go to the Chief Engineers cabin and generally tidy up and make things shipshape ( to coin a phrase). I didn't have to go in the saloon and serve. All the other stewards had to serve in the saloon.
    I was in a double berth cabin with a bloke who it later transpired I had gone to school with and we became inseparable mates. I will just call him Fitz for ease of writing.
    There was a nark on board. Everybody knew it and suspicion revolved around 2 or 3 people who shall remain nameless but it was well known.
    I had a 'cunning plan' to quote Baldric and Fitz and I managed to acquire 20,000 Senior Service, which we intended to get into England somehow. We would stow them in the ONE place on the ship that the Customs NEVER searched.
    Well, things didn't quite go according to plan to begin with. First was the seamen's strike that clogged all ports in UK, so it looked like we were going to have to go to anchor off Hull.
    Next, the Chief Engineer's wife had a stroke, so the Captain got permission to go alongside Immingham, drop her off and wait long enough to make sure she was okay and then go back out to anchor again. Immingham was, at that time, a Customs training depot. We were due to go alongside mid morning the next day, which we duly did and as the Chief Engineer's wife was swung ashore, so a couple of regiments of Customs Jacks came on board. They came out to anchor with us and they were there until the next day, when they went ashore. They found just about everything, even the stuff the 'Tiger' had hidden in the centre of the saloon deckhead ( and that took some effort too, or so he said).
    A couple of days later, we went alongside in Hull. It was late in the evening and raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock but Fitz and I managed to get all our cigs ashore and over the fence, down to the station and sent them home by rail.
    Sure enough, shortly after breakfast, on came more Customs Jacks and they proceeded to take the ship apart again and come up with a few more things.
    Then we had to go to the bond and show the Customs Jacks what we had declared and Fitz and I, like good little boys, were well within our concession limits and that stirred the Customs up to come and have another look at our cabin. Nothing.
    We duly paid off and went to the station to get the train back to London and guess who was waiting to greet us ??? You got it !! And still they found a few things.
    Guess who was waiting at Euston ? And I guess at other stations that crew members went to. Found nothing this time.
    A few of us went for a few beers in the bar on the station and the Tiger asked Fitz and I how come we had never got caught. He KNEW we had a lot of loot but where had we stashed it. He went ape-**** when we told him I had stowed it under the skippers bunk when they had all been down at breakfast that morning we were to go into Immingham. I reckon if he'd been armed, he would have killed us. Everybody else thought it was hilarious though. Seamen 1...Customs 0......Tiger no show.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bottles whiskey over the side of the ship, tied to post with fishing line. Tins of cigarettes made into a pipe then lagged and painted. Customs never found them.

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Frank Thorp liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was in Dover on a coaster,ship, I took a ferry to Calais return, very cheap, just there and back, no going ashore.
    I had a big grip, and bought several bottles of Rum and several cartons of Cigs, it was full and heavy.
    When I got back to Dover, I had had several large RUMS in the crew bar, and was staggering down the gangway with great difficulty. a Customs man said to me, "You OK? " I said `Yes, I am joining that coaster over there on the eastern arm`, He says `I will give you a hand, we don't want you to fall into the dock`. He picks up my heavy grip and carries it for me round to our gangway, and then gave it back to me.

What a nice man.!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going on a cruise last year we had to fly to Japan.
    Allowed to take two bottles of wine on board I took two to the airport, forgetting of course the 100 ml limit to take fluids on board.
    Wine taken off me, bugger.
    No matter into duty free and but two more.
    Have to put them into my overnight bag, but must avoid damage to them.
    Great idea, wrap them in my compression socks, the ones to prevent ankles from swelling on long flights.
    Git to Japan, wine is all good, my ankles looking like pumpkins.
    But you must get your priorities right.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have posted this before. Coming back from Canada, the usual customs search. We had Cardiff Arab firemen, when the customs found cigarettes hidden down aft under rope guides, they called one of the Arabs over and said are these your cigarettes? He said 'No boss, mine are under there, pointing to the other side.
    Des

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16