Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Immigration

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Immigration

Better that than sending them to one of the old camps they used to run.

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t mention the War! Basil Faulty would be Proud
    Doug

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    The reason he just said Africa is because they no longer own any of it.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des be thankful he did not suggest Australia.

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No room, last year we got 500 thousand and the Govt doesn't know how.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, buggers caught a ferry from Indonesia, a ferry to gov says does not exist.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One particular aspect of immigration that exercises my temper is the influx of food delivery workers on cycles, motorcycles and cars.

Home delivery of restaurant food is not a new thing. Back in the day (late 80s) when I was a cab driver, it was not uncommon to get a call from a customer to pick up food they had paid for from some restaurant. On delivery, I was paid the minimum cab fare which could make the total cost of the food expensive.

Fast-forward a few decades and business people, such as Deliveroo and Uber Eats, came up with the brainwave in which the customer orders food for delivery. One call, one charge. Kind of makes sense. Only, find a cheaper means of delivery other than expensive minicabs.

Welcome the birth of high street terror on bikes, motorbikes and cars. There must be a hundred thousand of them up and down the land.

On the surface of it this is a reasonable business plan. The only problem is native people don't want the job. So, business people approach politicians to complain that there is a labour shortage and they can't grow their businesses. They plead for government to relax rules on immigration, which government promptly does on receipt of ~30k bung to their party funds.

My point is this: Home delivery is not a crucial service, unlike, say, residential care. Therefore, if you cannot meet your staffing requirements locally then go hang your business plan. Only you and the shady politicians benefit whilst the rest of us have to put up with the influx of, largely, South Asian workers doing non-essential delivery jobs. You might have "grown the economy" but in ways that are of benefit to you only.

If it is a key service and the natives don't want the job then allow immigration in that sector only.
    Last edited by Gerard Fisher; 1st March 2024 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tax on Pensions

Back in the early 90s when I took out a private pension I was told that the government would make a contribution. For my monthly 150 the government added 50 making a total of 200 per month. Now that I am collecting on the pension the government is taking back, in taxes, approximately 25% which just so happens to be their original contribution.

I used to think the government contribution was a sort of bribe to give me an incentive to save for my retirement. That the money is all mine. I imagine this is what most people assume. Clearly, this is not true; government gives with one hand and takes back with the other. This ruse is what I heard described as deferred taxation.

Turn this scenario around and assume that the government is giving me their money (50 per month in my case) to invest for them and that they will collect, with interest, once pension matures. In which case, I want the government to pay me management fees. I could then charge them the high management fees that the shysters in banking and finance services charge us with impunity.

That'll teach them! Of course it won't; they've got smarter lawyers and accountants who'll tie me up in knots. Life's a bitch.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#37 Same thing in the UK we have more Taxis in our area than there is passengers! Most are from the sub continent and most of the taxis only move to ferry school kids to school . This limits hours worked and help access to the benefit system . I think they must be classed as essential workers. So much for the civil servants and politico’s keen attention to immigration numbers and work Visa issues
    Doug

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They had the answer in Sydney, so many of them flying around they used to knock them for dead, not a nice thing, then they got together with a union and joined up, now get a living wage no exploitation.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast