Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Smoking Cadets

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Smoking Cadets

#10 used to cost 30/- for 5 cartons (1000) out of bond and when sold still showed a small profit after insurance and chief stwds bonus for handling and selling at 8/- a carton (200).
    Export woodbine were their correct name and usually came in packets of 50. JS.
    R575129

2. Thanks Michael Black thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Used to smoke before going to and at sea. Still smoked when I got married and came ashore, stopped in 75/76 when the chancellor put them up to 5 Bob a packet for 20, more than £15 now I believe. Used to smoke embassy and collected the coupons, 5 in a pack of 20, 2 in a 10 pack, got a coffee table with them when we were first married.
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Within the first hour of joining my first ship at 17 years old the chief steward came to my cabin and threw a carton of Benson and hedges in. That's nice, I thought, a present just for joining. Little did I know that it was an extra stash for the officers who smoked to avoid the customs fining anyone for having more than their allowance. After being dragged around the deck by the super fit chief officer, swinging valves on deck and down the pump room for the next 6 hours, I was knocked off absolutely knackered and got the chance to actually unpack and stow my gear. As an award to myself I open that carton of cigarettes and rewarded myself with one. That started a lifelong affair with the cigarette. Now I know I will never do the 100 metres in under 10 seconds,even when at school playing rugby I was lucky to get under 20 seconds.
    Now when I go for my annual checkup with the doctors, they always ask me if I am going to stop , my reply Is after 41 years of breathing in fumes from crude oil, petroleum and chemical products along with crawling through mub in ballast tanks or digging out mouldy smelling grains from bilge wells, I reckon my lungs are more at danger from those than tobacco. I have no real desire to take up jogging, though I do make sure that I take a brisk 20 minute walk daily, also I was told by that same first chief officer that if you had to run to carry out a task you had failed to think about how you were going to do that task.
    Many way saw I am nieve regarding the dangers of smoking but weight, waist size, cholesterol, heart rate and blood pressure always fine at my annual, even psa well within limits.
    Rgds
    J.A

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only started smoking when I went to sea, but then I stopped at different times, finally packed it in when my wife started having coughing fits, she had not long started smoking, she asked me for a smoke one day, I took the packet out and ripped it up and threw it in the bin, I think I was about 35 or there a bout's, never had a problem stopping. Giving them up may have helped me reach 92 who knows, I have known people of that age who smoked all their adult lives.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many said they enjoyed the smoke after sex.
    Should have used a lubricant, would have stopped all that.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe should have gone to a Japanese masseau and used the product after having the wax treatment. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regarding smoking, it was mark Twain who said to the effect — “Giving up smoking is easy. I’ve done it lots of times.”

Brett Hayes R863743

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife has bought a house to do up and flip. She was removing old carpets and under the old underlay there were old news papers dated from 1980. Think she said it was for Benson & Hedges cigarettes priced at 67p for 20, todays price £13.65, so paying top end for lung cancer today.

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But maybe a better quality type, you never know.
    Get what you pay for.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2