Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Soap issue while on board

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Soap issue while on board

John.
    We all look back on our time at sea with nostalgia, the money really wasn't any good but we managed to enjoy our tme, I did.
    Cheers DEs
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So did I Des, but as one gets older and has a young family one’s commitments get bigger. The times most talk about on here were in the area of when an AB was on 30 pounds a month , and and going by the book a seaman was only allowed to leave 50% as an allotment. No doubt there were some owners who turned a blind eye to this depending how hard up he was for a crew. You would have to go back a long way for a household to survive on 15 pound a month. JS.
    Today however shipping is not like that your total earnings every month are put into a bank of your choice. The foreign flag companies were already doing this long before us, and those that didn’t had the benefit of your earnings or at least 50 % of them earning interest for their company . Apart from the Mickey Mouse press talking about things they know nothing about the general public were never informed of some of the things that were an aggravation to a lot of seamen. And as said previously a lot never came back and stayed ashore. The media only print what they want and is beneficial to themselves . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd March 2024 at 02:40 AM.
    R575129

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As regards costing in 1960 after being ashore for my mates certificate I was out of leave. So the company said until your next ship comes in you can work in the office. I was unbeknown to a second mate on a new building in Doxfords Sunderland checking the Chart Folios he was making up. Anyhow during my time in the office I had the privilege of going through all the old hand written ledgers of profit and loss of every vessel since 1948 that the company had . Taken for claims as against Tax was the largest one going and was for devaluation of Hull and Machinery which ran into tens of thousands of pounds. The next highest was Insurance running a close second. The lowest claims were stores , wages and feeding , and were appropriately chicken feed , but really the only thing the owner had control over. It was easy to see the profit margin in those years for their fleet of 10,000 ton tramp ships , when 1 cargo a year would pay all the running costs of 1 vessel. Anything above 1 cargo was profit. Hard to believe but the written word is supposed to be infallible. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd March 2024 at 05:15 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, yes it was cheap labor that did all the shipping in.
    But according to some records a number fo shipping companies would not come to Oz for fear of being stuck here with a strike it was so bad back then.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

soapbar makes you hungry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    Joined a new tanker the British Guardian did four trips on her, the skipper was talking to the Mate.when I was on te wheel, said she had paid for herself after I think it was two trips. 7 million pounds.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very handy currency when going through Suez

11. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hardie View Post
    I remember being issued with a cake of Carbolic and buttermilk soap every week while away deep sea. The soap was not the kindest to our delicate skin so most people used their personal supply.
    I and several others used to save it up and used it to pay for Taxis & Garries in India and Pakistan. The taxi drivers were very happy with the kmarrangement as they must have had a good market for the goods.I think the average rate was 4 to 6 bars per fare. I am sure others would have used this system of barter in these days .
    Doug
    1977 Westcoast of Africa Buries Markes ship, exchange our weekly bar soaps for some good old smoking gear, life was good.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the 70's I used to visit India and Bangladesh to negotiate pay rates for local crews serving on foreign flag ships. The negotiations would take nearly a week and were very complicated with so many different pay elements like basic, overtime, deferred credit, gratuity etc. etc. But every deal was finalized with a really intense negotiation over how many extra bars of soap the crew would receive in their rations.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kieran View Post
    Hey man, that's weird, My Mrs reckons I'm the only person in the world to do that. Say's I'm just a tight git, but I can't help it.
    I do the same, must be an age thing.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast