Thread: Perang ED's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Perang ED's

Just a couple of photos of the Elder Dempster ship M/V Perang .
    She was built I think in 1954? 3 furnace scotch boiler , 4 cylinder Doxford LB engine . All steam auxiliaries below and steam cargo winches.
    I did 4 trips on her hard work but happy ship.
    Anyway she was able to get up the Manchester ship canal? Her top hat funnel could be removed and left at at Eastham Locks. Rumour has it that for a period she sailed around without the top hat as when she came back down the canal they forgot to stop and pick it up again. Must have made life interesting on the bridge with a following wind, also those on the bridge knew better than to upset the 12/4 watch when it came to soot blowing.

Photo 1 with her top hat 2 without.
    She also was originally fitted with a steam whistle. It was still there when I sailed on her and was always tested on sailing day when heading out deep sea. A story went the Chief Engineer & the old man had a falling out. There was a drain line fitted so when it was needed you would drain it until you had live steam. Instruction came down Steam on the whistle no one drained the line. Apparently it was like someone clearing their throat. Crap every where rusty water all over the wheelhouse. Old Man and a bunch of hangers on from India buildings needed a change of attire. lol
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 21st August 2023 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Increase Size of Pics

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Perang ED's

Perang had a sister ship M/V PataniFanny Patani.jpg. Oops wrong Patani, 202011261919340.PATANI Hoek van Holland 13_05_1971.jpg

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Mike R868356 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing wrong there, much better looking than the others posted by James.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There would be a long queue at the Pool to sign-on

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would have signed on the first one.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Just a couple of photos of the Elder Dempster ship M/V Perang .
    She was built I think in 1954? 3 furnace scotch boiler , 4 cylinder Doxford LB engine . All steam auxiliaries below and steam cargo winches.
    I did 4 trips on her hard work but happy ship.
    Anyway she was able to get up the Manchester ship canal? Her top hat funnel could be removed and left at at Eastham Locks. Rumour has it that for a period she sailed around without the top hat as when she came back down the canal they forgot to stop and pick it up again. Must have made life interesting on the bridge with a following wind, also those on the bridge knew better than to upset the 12/4 watch when it came to soot blowing.

Photo 1 with her top hat 2 without.
    She also was originally fitted with a steam whistle. It was still there when I sailed on her and was always tested on sailing day when heading out deep sea. A story went the Chief Engineer & the old man had a falling out. There was a drain line fitted so when it was needed you would drain it until you had live steam. Instruction came down Steam on the whistle no one drained the line. Apparently it was like someone clearing their throat. Crap every where rusty water all over the wheelhouse. Old Man and a bunch of hangers on from India buildings needed a change of attire. lol
    I did three trips as junior then 4th engineer, her main boiler was a Scotch boiler, used for cargo handling, at sea underway the main exhaust was by passed through a vertical Cochran boiler and this ran the steam generators, pumps etc., but was unable to run for example the main engine compressors.

The deck team tried to run the anchor windlass on one trip and succeeded in shutting down the generators and condensate pump, so it was very border line.
    But made for a very hot engine room down the West African Coast.

Mikecboyd

10. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did 2 voyages on her 1968

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is over 50 years since I sailed as 4th on Perang. I never remember any issues with running main air compressors while at sea. Normal steam services at sea usually 1 steam genterator, Steam Steering gear and if required steam driven air compressors.
    All main engine pumps driven by scavenge air pumps using a cross beam which had sea water cooling pump, A main eng lub oil and a jacket water cooling pumps.