Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: One of yours

Des, Cory, John, & Sons Ltd. CARDIFF.
    Ceased ship owning 1966
    Shipping agents only.
    JS
    That’s from the book on Major British Tramp Companies.
    JS.
    3 of their vessels during the war Ruperra torpedoed and sunk 500 n.m NW of Ireland.
    Ramillies torpedoed and sunk 800 n.m. East of Cape Race .
    Coryton grounded near the Farnes , Northumberland whilst in convoy 16.2.41.
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd August 2023 at 03:01 AM.
    R575129

2. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    John, Ivan.
    I always thought that the Cory's I sailed on were a North Eastern mob, but in my book the ship was registered in Landon, I thought they had only coasters running coal from the North East to the power stations up the Thanes.
    Des
    That was their main trade Des, but they made occasional forays across the Atlantic, most of the Masters and Mates had FG certificates. The same as France Fenwicks main trade was colliers but my father was on the 'Cornwood' and they went to British Columbia to load timber for the UK, was there where he was invited home for dinner by a stevedore and the first thing he saw was a photograph of the house we were the currently living in, in a village called Kelfield in Yorkshire, I still have that photo, the family's grandfather had lived in that house previously. Talk about a small world!

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan, just as a quick aside, my eldest son lived in Kelfield, right by the river, a lot of new builds there now, and spoils the village, but thats progress i suppose.
    R689823

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Ivan, just as a quick aside, my eldest son lived in Kelfield, right by the river, a lot of new builds there now, and spoils the village, but thats progress i suppose.
    We arrived in Kelfield circa 1943/44 after being bombed out in London/Manchester/York, of course that was my fault for being a cheeky brat! Ended up in a 300 year old cottage condemned for human habitation, no gas/electric/water outside dunny and tap, concrete floors, cold as hell, but mum was over the moon to have somewhere supposedly safe, paraffin lamps (still have one from my days there) and acid cell battery radio, had to walk two miles to Cawood to have them charged, they were bloody heavy for young kids, could save half a mile if we walked along the river bank, which we were forbidden to do (which of course we did) unless mum was with us, then it was the long way round, but occasionally got a lift on a horse and cart, left there in 1951 to live in Hull. Last visited Kelfield about 25+ years ago and the house was gone and a new one stood in its place. Different days!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan.
    I'm sure I have seen a picture of Hitler with a chalkboard with three crosses on it, and he was saying nearly got the Basward.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2