Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Hamburg 1960

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hamburg 1960

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Briggs View Post
    Believe the other name for the Herbertstrasse was the Winklestrasse, may have been a German nickname.
    True, I knew it as the Winklestrasse when there in 1955. I seem to remember it was guarded by US army MP's, there to prevent their troops from window shopping down that particular street.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Kelly View Post
    True, I knew it as the Winklestrasse when there in 1955. I seem to remember it was guarded by US army MP's, there to prevent their troops from window shopping down that particular street.
    Probably more concerned about them buying.

3. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wasn’t too far from San Pauli ( if spelt right ?) where all the night clubs were with the mud wrestlers etc. and within walking distance of the Zillertall the beer hall. Hamburg abounded with places of pleasure for the bored mariner in those days, maybe still does ? No 1800 hrs closing there !!. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#32 Tony can’t remember if it was you or not but some engineer on site was ex Parsons Marine Wallsend , wasnt you was it ? JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#31 was there the first time about the same time Noel. What a different Germany it was then. A fifty packet of export Woodbines would just about buy you anything. The ship was afloat with young women and the shore gangway watchman was an ex u-boat commander.
    A few years later I met up with an ex school boy chum of mine who went from a telegram boy to a soldier in the Royal Signals and a member of the BAOR married a German girl and had been promoted to Sergeant Major. It was at a party that we remet. I asked him was that
    why he tried to talk so posh at that time, he took it with a laugh however and not a punch in the eye. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th January 2024 at 12:31 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #32 Tony can’t remember if it was you or not but some engineer on site was ex Parsons Marine Wallsend , wasnt you was it ? JS.
    not me John, I did sail with a couple of guys who were ex C A Parsons guys though.

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No it was just that my father in Law Leslie Dunn was a foreman in the gear cutting shop. He retired a year early at 64 and died at 66 after siting the machinery in its new home in a Dutch shipyard. A lot of his ex apprentices went to sea and a lot used to visit him on their leaves. Either he or his daughter was the attraction but as she was only 17 at the time my knight in shining armour was unnecessary. Anyhow I may have appeared as the villain in the background . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 75 I was 2nd mate on a forest products ship discharging copra in Hamburg and on a night of drinking in the zillertal where we and the guys off a shell tanker in drydock had got into a drinking contest with the crew of a French naval ship, by the end of the night we were politely asked to leave as we were all making so much racket, standing on tables and waving steins of beer in the air whilst attr to conduct the band with a Weiner sausage.
    Earlier in the evening the first trip cadet had turned green and we feared he was going to call for hughie, so the 3rd engineer offered to take him by taxi back to the landing stage where he could get a ferry back to the ship. On the way to the terminal he was going to chuck up so the 3rd got him to lean out of the taxi and he spewed all over the car next to them. After depositing the lad at the terminal he came back and rejoined the drinking contest.
    After been asked to leave at sometime in the early hours we staggered down to the landing stage to catch the ferry back to the bouys we were tied up to. The cadet was still there at the stage so we woke him up and as he was the only sober one of us so got us onto the ferry. Some very sore heads the next day.
    Bremen was another good drinking night out, there was a cycling competition going on in a big hall with oompah bands and bars going full tilt. Another night out resulting in a horrendous hangover but great fun working on getting the hangover.
    Rgds
    J.A

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4