Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Great Yarmouth as was

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Great Yarmouth as was

In the 1980s I was a frequent visitor to Great Yarmouth so had to be aware of the customs of the port should imagine a lot different today as probably those with small boats will know but the following is a few notes I Kept as reminders or crib notes...
    Entrance 200 m wide. Between N & S piers. Extends 2.5 cables west before sharp bend to N ( Brush Quay). 1971least depth 4.3 m in entrance and slightly greater depths inside . Temporary shoaling may occur in entrance during strong Ey winds. depths of less than. 1m May be expected.
    Tidal Streams at 1 mile ENE of entrance , time from HW
    Plus 0600 Dover S going stream begins
    Minus 0020 Dover N. Going stream begins
    Spring rate ineach direction2.25 knots
    The south going stream runs past N pier and forms an eddy S of it which turns W into the basin The outgoing stream runs past the N pier and turns N with the N going stream. There is a lot more cribs which stuck In pocket if needed the signalling system from shore regarding strength of currents etc, was unique in its own way.
    Yarmouth was infamous for ships going aground and refloating without damage.
    Just found this personal notebook and brings back a lot of memory’s even those navigating the bar system ashore . The ports in Australia didn’t seem so complicated apart from up north in crocodile country. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th November 2022 at 09:08 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Great Yarmouth as was

Yes John, all those smaller (then) coastal and river ports had their foibles, going from Hull to Goole (known by locals as Ghoul) on a flood tide the river with all its bends and a fast flowing tide could catch out the unwary and arriving off Goole drop the Stbd anchor, full astern, hard a starboard, half ahead, stick her stem in the bank and let the tide bring the stern round and then full ahead to land neatly alongside the lock wall waiting berth, then once in the dock warping round all the knuckles to get to the coaling berths whilst other ships were knuckling round to get to the lock for getting down river on the ebb. So many ports, so many differences, great learning curves.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just took Yarmouth as an example Ivan , as the tides and currents were very unusual at times , the signal tower used to show a . Flashing light at nights and used to change colour as the speeds of the measured tides and water movement changed . Someone’s going to have to bin a lot of memoribilia unless I do it myself and I find it hard to discard most of my past life in case I mistime it. Even found my National Service card For 1955 issued at South Shields M.M. O. Which had to be posted back MOD if found. Also had to be posted back to them if changed their name. To be reissued, makes one wonder how the present day public would honour that one. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #3
    good morning, i think grt yarmouth only had the flashing red, for the state of tide, with a grey shading for sunset and sunrise, i dont believe there where any other colours.
    tom

5. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to my shorthand notes , mind my shorthand is the really short stuff and hard to decipher from so many years ago . Total streams off Brush Quay in going begins begins 1.5 hours after local L.W.
    Out going begins 1.5 hours after Local H.W.
    The out going may attain rate of 3.5 - 4.0 knots
    But the ingoing rarely exceeds 1.5 knots , except in the vicinity of Haven Bridge.
    No vessel to enter the river when the leading lights are extinguished or the two black balls are not exhibited
    Tidal signals light at South Pier when the outgoing stream is running
    1 fl. Ev 5 secs. Depth of water 4.3 m at entrance
    2 fl. Ev 5 secs 4.6 m
    3 fl. Ev 10 secs. 4.9 m
    When depth is less than 4.3 m no signal is exhibited

When in ingoing stream light exhibits 4 fl. Ev 10 Secs
    The colour of the light is altered with the rate of the stream
    Rate less than 1 k It. Is orange
    Rate more than 1 knot is Violet light.

Cheers JS Subject to the reading correctly of my own handwriting. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #5
    good morning, your the expert, and your pilot notes where written in the planning of your entrance and the leaving of grt yarmouth, and therefore i more than accept you are right , and my memory is wrong.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably all different now than 40 odd years ago in any case.. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th November 2022 at 02:05 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hell there, interesting discussion which at first i was reluctant to join however as a helmsman taking Vessels in and out of Gt. Yarmouth all the headwork was prepared in advance by you chaps to give helm orders to steer for the heading light on the Gorleston side of the river and then round the sharp bend without hitting the river wall. As JS says things have changed an outer harbour has since been built which alters all the tidal flows. if I can find it will post the pic.Regards R.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1 John. My memory of Great Yarmouth after checking my Dis. Book. September 1970 on the Lady Alison, early morning I was turned in when awakened by a rather loud bang from forward. We had hit the south pier at the entrance to the river. The Skipper said she would not answer the helm quick enough as it was a sharp turn to starboard into the river. When along side there was a hole in the bow just above the water line. This was patched up in Yarmouth and went to dry-dock in Shields. In the dry-dock the port rudder was found to be missing, yet when steaming on auto pilot all seemed well.
    Bill.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#9 That’s way before my time Bill . 1970 I was still sailing deep sea with my head in the clouds. Remember Bloomer talking about those Lady boats , believe they were Australian owned ? JS
    R575129

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast