Thread: A New place to live

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A New place to live

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi les woodard #21
    good afternoon, like your goodself one of my earliest epiphanies came about when i was about twelve and after climbing onto the wood yard crane, i grabbed hold of the electrical cables and was blown about twenty foot in the air, to say now that im a believer because of the consequences of that day would not be true, as there are far too many instances that brought me to my present way of thinking.as indeed most of the souls on this site will testify to.
    tom
    Hi Tom
    Not that i was blown away so to speak, but when i was workng on my first job, as a messenger Boy in Cape Town, it was bleedin cold in the Winter, and in the little cubicle that i shared with one other Messemger Boy, we had a small bar Heater!
    Well Yes! It conked out this one cold Morning, so me clever Dick, said Ok i will fix it as i looked and saw that one of the Wires on one of the two Bars was broken.

So not unplugging the damn thing, on i went to grab the two broken ends , well the rest you would know! But funny my experience was to be held on to those Wires it would not let me go. Luckily the other Lad with me took a Wooden Broom and slung it around my waist and pulle me clear, i was then almost lights out! At the time cant recall how long, that it held me it was such a strange feeling as if things were going away in very slow motion. But to end, it was some experience. Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What the experts have to say Briefly..
    The Earth was created from an immense cloud of dust and gas particles circling a newly formed star our sun.It became the fifth largest planet in the solar system. Orbits the sun and rotates on its own axis tilted at 23.44 degrees.
    The earth was formed in stages over billions of years and is in a constant state of flux. It’s temperature atmosphere and geography have altered and continue to do so. Speed of rotation1040 mph, Orbit speed 66,600 mph.
    The Universe ...fifteen billion years ago our Universe did not exist. It came in as a cosmic explosion , the Big Bang.. Expanding from nothing to 1.25 million miles wide.
    There are billions of Galaxies in the Universe. The earths galaxy is a rotating spiral of billions of stars. The Sun is situated in the Orion Arm of the spiral 24000 light years from the centre.

PS correction to a previous post the sun is 109 times wider than the Earth and more than 1 million earth sized planets could fit inside it .
    Yet the red giant Betalguese is hundreds of times larger.
    Believe that ?. I do.
    JS
    The solar system is composed of 9 planets and their moons as well as 10000 asteroids orbiting the sun, Pluto the furtherest known planet from the sun has an average distance from the sun of 3666 million miles
    Note.. it takes 8 years for the light from Sirius our brightest star to reach Earth.
    It is impossible to say how many stars there are in the Universe there are thought to be around 200 billion in our galaxy alone .
    Astrologers , philosophers , weirdos, pimps , and anyone could go on for much much longer on what is known. The unknown has yet to come to any small semblance to be added as the centuries roll on , unless of course someone of the human kind decides to end our world as we know it , and I can think of at least 6 nut cases ready to do so .
    Cheers JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th August 2022 at 02:43 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The dust and gas became what we now know as earth through a series of what sensible scientists call climate change, not the crap we are bombarded with now.
    But the history of this planet is not all we think kit may be.
    Remember history is only what is perceived to have occured by the person writing it, not always correct at the time.
    Speculation will abound for as long as man is on this planet.

A new dinasour has been found recently, said to have been about 30 foot tall and 75 feet long, not the best to meet on dark night.
    Scientists can tell us how they think they disapeared but cannot tell us how they began!!

There is so much we still do not know or understand about this planet and it's place in the universe, but as long as the sun comes up in the morning I am not that concerned.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#43 The sun is 4.6 billion plus years old.
    Life span about 13 billion years so should see you out John.
    Diameter 865,000 miles
    Composition by mass 71% hydrogen, 27% helium, 2% heavier gases.
    Temperature at core 15 million degrees centigrade
    Surface temperature 5500 degrees C.
    Distance from Earth 92 970 000 miles
    time for the bit of bronzy to reach you 8.3 minutes
    surface gravity 38 times that of earth. Dont go there for your holidays , youll be on your back all the time and may get sunstroke.

JS
    R575129

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    As per #1 does everyone realise how far 100 light years are distance wise ...? It is the 100 years divided into seconds in time x 186,000 equaling the distance in miles . Answers on a piece of foolscap please . JS .
    Just to keep. Ones brain active please give an eta ships speed 12 knots , using the traditional mercator method of meridian parts, for those who have forgotten Distance = Dlat x Secant of the course., no ready reckoners allowed in the exam room . JS...
    Have a gander at this then distance! Wow!!!

One light year is about six trillion miles.

'Einstein Ring' seen 12 billion light-years from Earth by James Webb (msn.com)

James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) has captured a near perfect ‘Einstein Ring,’ a bull’s-eye pattern that forms when light from a galaxy or star passes through another galaxy or massive object, 12 billion light-years from Earth - one light year is about six trillion miles.

Would take all Eternity to try and get that far!
    Cannot even begin to try and comprehend such distances!
    WOW!!!!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th August 2022 at 08:40 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would have to change your name to Flash Vernon ( Gordon) and be able to move at the speed of light, would then be into the realms of time travel . And go back and see Cappy performing with Michael ( Michelle) in that bar he used to frequent in Osaka. Transvestites were illegal then so he might be a bit embarrassed about his wild youth. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st August 2022 at 12:53 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This new rocket with dummy's in it instead of men; might not even get off this earth, that bloody sub contractor in his garage has stuffed up again. Anyway they wouldn't be the first to the dark side of the moon; a Welshman is already there, went there years ago on an old Colliery
    dram fitted with an engine he made from scrap. He sent back a message that all Welsh people believed that the moon was made of cheese, Welsh cheese Caerphilly.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any signs of that cow that went missing Des ? Not too worried about the dish and spoon , and that kid will be grown up by now . was probably a juvenile delinquent anyway. JS
    PS where did he get the dummies from , the British Shipping Federation ? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st August 2022 at 05:42 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fact is the face of the moon is no bigger than the surface of Australia, but no Roos there or our native people.

But here we are doing a great job in stuffing up this planet and off we go looking for another bone to stuff up.
    Scientists call it progress!!!!

By the time we find out how to get to a new planet the sun will have gone out, so how will the wonderful methods of renewable energy from the sun work??

Paddy said he was going to the sun on a rocket ship.
    Told it would be too hot there, no worries mate we will go at night.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Measuring Space ... one final from me before I start to suffer from space sickness...
    Distances. In space are so vast that kilometres and miles are too small to express them, instead, units such as alight year , astronomical unit and parsec are used.
    LightYear this is the distance travelled by light in a year ( 5880 billion miles).
    Light from Proxima Centauri, our closest star after the Sun , takes 4.2 years to reach earth, so Proxima Centauri is
    4.2 light years away.
    Astronomical unit This smaller unit of measurement is the average distance of the. Earth from the Sun 95 million miles .
    Parsec 3.26 light years . It is used for measuring star distances.
    JS
    R575129

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast