Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: A New place to live

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A New place to live

I did many trips into Freemantle, but in those days those Stromatolites would have been just rocks getting in the way of a good swim.
    Freemantle was my first choice of a place to end up after going ashore, but then wouldn't have met my life's companion. Still remember it with great affection.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Mills View Post
    Me too John, been there and done that in Oz, even got married there in Tennant Creek spent our honeymoon out on the desert near Ayer's Rock on a camel Safari, watching Halley's comet on the best night in the best place in the world to view it. We drove around our first trip, down the center second trip and across and around Tasmania. Climbed the rock, scuba dived the reef, 13 six-month trips, so lived in Australia for 6 1/2years and loved every moment of it. Kept in touch with friends for years, but sadly the grim reaper has claimed them.

I met Ozzies on their six-month leave, going around Oz, but most buy an around the world airline ticket and spend their six-month break out of country. Do they still have that long-service six month off with pay?

Cheers, Rodney
    Hi Rod.
    WE have a show on TV here called "Do You want to be a millionaire." When the Compare asks the people what they would do with the money most say an overseas trip, and lately, they want to go to South America, Why! when most haven't eve seen a smidgen of their own country.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#91 can’t remember the exact position of the rocks under discussion Des, but think it was south of Bunberry in a National Park and they were sticking out of either a sea inlet or a fresh water lake. No doubt they will be on the internet somewhere if anyone is serious in wanting to know and will be well signposted for tourists. The other ancient. Set of Rocks is the Pinnacles North of Perth , have been there few times showing visitors around years ago, however think they are different in their lineage for want of a better word and called something else , or I may be wrong and they are of the same composition they are in a large area of sand adjoining the beach adjacent to the beach ., as said north of Perth . Cheers JS
    R575129

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Rodders, I remember watching Haleys comet all those years ago, a long wispy tail disappearing into the distance.

As to long service leave, something from the 1960's.
    Shortage of workers then and it was brought in with the hope it would encourage workers to stay with the company.

Then leave loading, the oddest of all supplements.
    At 17.5% of wage to compensate for the loss of overtime whilst on leave!!!!!
    It is not so common now as many companies have either bought it off or set it into an enterprise agreement.

Oz is the only country as far as I am aware with such odd working conditions.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have just finished watching one of my old Favourite Movies, Rented it on Foxtel in HD only $4.95 and can watch it as many times as i like over the next Two days!

Now you ask which Film?

Well many Years back this Movie hit the Screens and made a tremendous impact , with Millions going to watch it all over the World!
    It is the Original version of
    "The War Of The Worlds"

Still this very day, i sat with such intent and must say enjoyed it as much Today as i did all those Years back!
    There is a new Version out, but i think that as many other new Movies, does not do justice to the old one!

Great Movie with a good cast as well
    Worth every Penny of the 4 odd Bucks!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th September 2022 at 07:16 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Have just finished watching one of my old Favourite Movies, Rented it on Foxtel in HD only $4.95 and can watch it as many times as i like over the next Two days!

Great Movie with a good cast as well
    Worth every Penny of the 4 odd Bucks!
    Cheers
    Ah doc to each his own lol cappy
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th September 2022 at 07:17 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Which version Doc, the old one or the latest version with Tom Cruise?
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #88 Long service leave has been here as long as I’ve been here 31 years , I never got it however as only worked here for 11 years. As regards People’s complaints about the benefits system and its big attraction to the many illegal immigrants , when I came in legally I had to sign a paper saying I was not about to receive any benefits for at least 3 years , and to obtain an Australian pension had to be in their tax system for 11 years also. Which in both cases I did. That’s where all the systems fail in time if laws that are made to protect the people who live there ,are relaxed , more harm to a country is done by the bleeding hearts than enough , my worse wages I have ever received at sea was offshore in stand by boats in the North Sea was variable and was about 31 pounds a day as skipper in 1988 no guaranteed paid leave and that was it. A seaman could receive as little as 16 pounds a day .
    So would be as Cappy says interesting to know what is the average today. During my time at sea I have worked for British interests , American, Canadian, Indian, Malaysian, Australian, and others of doubtful pedigree, the lowest was the British and the highest was the Australian,The Indian and the Malaysian were the closest in parity to the Australian, JS
    John in 1988 a female machinist in my factory was on a 38 hour ....4 day week her gross would be on average 75 quid but dependant on various machines and skills ....that was a rate on average of approx 2 quid per hour take home pay ...there was overtime on friday am ....which i paid at time and a half .....but was not used much as the women preffered there shopping and free time more .....the union rate was less than my rate and the ladies told the union man to piss off as most union shops worked 5 days at 8 hours ie 40 hours....im suprised that seamen would work for those wages ......so much for there money grabbing bleedin unions feathering there fancy offices and paying there chiefs gold plated pensions wages etc...that is why i have no time for unions who in my view only govern folks all to a similar income whether a good worker or a not good worker....but im out of it now retired 22 years and a happy bunny ...R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#94... If you had worked out here in the Maritime Industry and offshore agreements John those figures would have been different. There were 2 rosters A and B . A was for permanent employees of a shipping company where you got slightly different accruements , A Agreement the shipowner put money into your retirement fund at a higher rate than normal . 4 % of your salary went into the union for them to invest for you on your retirement. B agreement you were more a loose cannon and could float company to company at will. In the B agreement only 2% of salary went to union so your retirement pick up was not as big. But you got 26% on top of wages paid into your hand. Either way was satisfactory as far as I was concerned . Never look a gift horse in the mouth. Cheers
    R575129

11. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, vic mcclymont, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#99. As to the seaman’s union cash payout on retirement , I saw 2 ABs payout for 20 +years service of over
    $ 600,000. JS .
    R575129

13. Likes cappy liked this post
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast