Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Clan Line Vittoria Dock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Clan Line Vittoria Dock

#10 Talking about the 1970s now Vernon. To show how innovative they were even then they supplied everyone with 2 sets grey trousers and long sleeved shirts and the same in tropical gear plus long socks .This was to all hands .For the cold weather a woolie pulley RN style and a heavy khaki coloured anorak. The only differentials were the seamen got working boots and the others working shoes which just looked like ordinary shoes , but good for kicking someone as had steel toe plates in. Cheers they were ahead of their time as regards British owners , must have been the Danish influence. Someone posted a picture of someone dressed similar in grey yonks ago and thought at time it may of been Salens . Or otherwise Whitcos. Can’t remember any Danish butter in the saloon though. That’s in case anyone asks . JS
    PS If Hollywood get this information the next movie coming out will be the men in grey and not in black. JS
    Further to that monetary wise the ships were run from the ships themselves. The company gave you the budget limits as regards overtime , anything under this was put back into the vessel for the ship to supply what ever the crew voted on , apart of course to cases of beer. On the Finnish Wasa with a West Indian crew they wanted carpet on cabin composition decks , so chief steward and self went ashore in Charlestown South Carolina and did a deal to have done. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th July 2022 at 03:03 AM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed with the Clan Line as a Chippy on coloured crew ships initially then later with white crew via the Pool. Apart from coastal relief I never actually sailed on a Clan name ship as my deep sea time was on Stirlingshire, then 2 trips on King George and lastly a tramp on King Malcolm. I acquired two King Line/Bullard & King? house flags which were surplus to requirement from a tidy up of the flag locker. I wonder if anyone or any group would have a good home for them? King line flags.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cunard bought a fleet of fruit boats/reefers from various sources mid 70's onwards and gave them traditional Cunard names. They sailed with Port Line livery, manned by mainly Port Line / Brocklebank personnel. Without exception an Engineers nightmare.

5. Thanks James Curry thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, thomas michael, Graham Shaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vittoria Dock on a filthy night in Sept 1959 - DEMODOCUS - first trip apprentice on gangway duty, in the dark, a wet new uniform, and petrified of not doing things right. What a memory recalled. Birkenhead to Pusan and back in time for Xmas. . Same trip four cadets took the motor life-boat up the Rejang river to Sarikei in Borneo for tea with a lovely lady expat, who kept baby Orangutans in her garden, whilst the ship parbuckled huge logs from the water. On a later trip, I recall refusing Lawrence Holt (the Owner's family) access to the gangway because he didn't have ID. The Old Man gave me a rollocking I never forgot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

used to load chemicals in birkenhead. one berth right by the lock entrance, bit of a bummer as the nearest pub was closed down and fire damaged. the other berth was the panocean berth right at the top of the system where a 5 minute walk took you to the nearest pub. that was a good berth as prior to loading we had to purge all cargo tanks down to 2% nitrogen content prior to loading, this was opposite the mobil oil berth. That shed with the Clan Line logo on it was still in use, think it was used for importing paper products from sweden.
    rgds
    J.A

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Clan Line Vittoria Dock

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    I wonder if they are ex Salen ships as I found a photo of a salen ship called Synthia, looks the same class as the other two ships. I do not know a lot about Cunard ships apart from the passenger fleet. I do know they had a cargo fleet but never heard of them running reefer ships?
    There were 4 of the 'new' Cunard SS Co.Ltd. of Glasgow, reefer 23.5 knots diesel jobs purchased ex Salen Group in 1976,and given traditional Cunard names. They were all built in 72-73 by Aalborg Verft,Denmark:-

1.SCYTHIA ex Iris Queen
    2.SAXONIA ex Gladiola
    3.SERVIA ex Orchidea
    4.SAMARIA ex Chrysantema

9. Thanks James Curry, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes vic mcclymont liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These two look like they maybe ex Port Line fruit carriers - Port Huon/Port Albany class. I know Cunard Brocklebank took a couple of Port boats for the Calcutta run.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril killen View Post
    These two look like they maybe ex Port Line fruit carriers - Port Huon/Port Albany class. I know Cunard Brocklebank took a couple of Port boats for the Calcutta run.
    Well Cyril-you should read my previous post !

12. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

# 12 Hi Tom, I did two tramping trips on the King Arthur a sister ship to the King Malcolm and King George as tramp ships went I found them quite good. On the first trip I was a catering boy and the second trip I was a saloon steward. I would be interested in giving the lower flag a good home and would fly it alongside my red ensign on the balcony where I live when having a beer with my neighbours all ex H.M.(2 ex.R.N. and 1 Para + I Royal Green Jacket and 1 R.A.F.R. ) All of my neighbours tend to take the p**s out of the good old M.N. On M.N. day I will fly both flags with pride and a satisfied smirk on my face. Cheers J.W.
    Last edited by john walker; 28th July 2022 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also did a couple of tramp runs in the 60's on the King Henry. She usually berthed at Tilbury or West India Docks in London when I sailed on her. However I notice you mention Clan Line at Vittoria Dock in Birkenhead.
    From there I also tramped on the Clan McIndoe and Clan McIver.
    They were all part of the Cayzer Irvine Group along with Hector Whaling and the Bowater ships.
    Incidentally their Head Office was 2-4 St.Mary Axe in London.
    This is now the site of what they call The Gherkin.

15. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2