Thread: Uniform

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Uniform

79F79A03-B9EE-4747-9451-878F855C0669.jpg
    This picture has been posted in the Gallery,where an answer is required.
    The person concerned is looking to the answer of the type of Jacket this person is wearing.
    For more information go to the Gallery,where you find the same photo with information below the photo.
    Thankyou.
    Mike
    Gallery Manager and Friend of the Website

R 693816

Please visit the Gallery to see the latest photos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Uniform

Well just on looking at this , to me seems it is just a Picture of the Person standing on Deck in Private Clothing?? But could well be wrong.
    Doesnt look like any kind of Uniform Jacket to me anyway!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks a bit like the old navy blue patrol tunics. A lot of company’s had their own uniforms e.g. there are Whitco
    People on site who should remember their contribution whose uniform was grey and they supplied 2 shirts long and short sleeved 2 pair of shorts and 2 pair of long trousers . 1 jerkin type jacket and one duffel type heavy coat , and one pair of epaulettes .the clothing was all grey . As it was free, it got worn. But bore little resemblance to a MN uniform. There was very few of the recognised company’s who wore regular MN uniform , mainly tramp ship men who did as to wear any cap badges that they had you had to buy. All these glamorous passenger ships officers wearing uniform are not in MN uniform , they are in company livery .Just look at their braid for starters . JS
    PS at a calculated guess I would say the photo is of probably a German , in German livery of a German company of the day . When I talk about uniform I refer to the British Merchant Navy which has a Royal Charter as to uniform standards, it does not refer to foreign shipping . What foreign ships have as any standard depends on their own government if interested , to set that standard . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th November 2021 at 12:11 AM.
    R575129

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A bit more on British Merchant Navy braid. The regular recognised braid recognisable is braid to the prescribed measurements and think everyone is more or less aware of. It is very distinguishable by the diamond. That diamond is there to inform people that the wearer is a certificated Officer. This law was broken at various times by uncertificated officers wearing , but you could argue the case that they were certificated for that period of time on the ship as being passed temporary by the BOT , MOT, DTI, or whatever authority at the time. An uncertificated Officer to remain within the regulations was entitled to a half of a diamond. JS
    And you know what they say about diamonds being a girls best friend. JS

A bit more about uncertificated 3 mates, everyone assumes the 8/12 watch is the third mates watch. This is a fallacy brought about by shipboard practice. If there are 3 certificated watchkeeping officers on the ship and that would be master , mate, 2 mate. Then the old man should be very aware of his responsibility’s in a court of Enquiry on any mishaps during that watch especially, as well as the other two watches of course but to a slightly lesser degree . I would imagine any board of shipmasters sitting in judgement he would be judged guilty of not being around at the time of occurrence between 8 to 12 . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th November 2021 at 12:42 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To me it looks like an early Dress Stewards uniform, could be a second steward on a liner before before the war.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget