Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RMS Nigeria E D's liner

Lewis McColl Guest

Default RMS Nigeria E D's liner

Can anyone find a photo of the Elder Dempster RMS Nigeria. The only information I can find is this

Nigeria 1901 1917 sold to the Shipping Controller, renamed Polonia.

as Polonia The site I found this says it is RMS Nigeria but looking closely I think it is Aba Empire?

Anyway I used to collect old shipping company memorabilia and was having a poke about in an old box of bits and pieces and came across these .. Looking at the markings I am sure the shield & sheafs of corn is Assay mark for Chester silver, I assume the W&H is for W&H O Wills tobacco company. Would the Lion represent Sterling Silver and the F the year??
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 25th May 2021 at 08:09 PM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RMS Nigeria E D's liner

Here are three Lewis dont know if they are the one you are after
    Cheers

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Thanks Doc, If that is the one and the Cigarette case I have it is well over a 100 years old , has to be a keeper.
    That must have been an interesting bridge layout, a bit cold in Northern climes .
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 25th May 2021 at 08:58 PM.

6. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sure would be Lewis , hang on to it ! One day that may bring in a Fortune !?

The Lion passant is the Silver Type
    A stamp indicating the purity of the silver is called the assayer's mark. The mark for silver meeting the sterling standard of purity is the Lion Passant

,W&H is the Stamp for Walker and Hall London
    The Letter F indicating a Style of dating not sure as to what date could be but possibly around the 1900 mark.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 25th May 2021 at 09:31 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: RMS Nigeria E D's liner

The ShipsList site appears to have the wrong details.

Miramar Ship Index indicates-. RMS NIGERIA. O.N. 114747. Pass/Cargo 3,755grt,single screw turbine 13kts. completed 8/1901 by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co,,Cleveland Dockyard ,Middlesbrough as Yard No.479 for African SS Co;London(Elder Dempster)

Subsequent career

3/1917.Fire damaged at Romanoff,CTL.
    1918 Rebuilt as Cargo only.
    1918 to British Government.- Shipping Controller-Elder Dempster.
    1920 to Claude Langdon Ltd;London
    1921 to Cie.Marseillaise de Nav a Vapeur,Marseille; French flag.Renamed NIGER.
    10/1931 Arrived Genoa for breaking up.

(The Tees built Ships Site database has no photos available.)

9. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Thanks Graham , The information I got on her, was from https://www.theshipslist.com/ships/l...%20items...%20

Confusion as to the reference Nigeria 1901 1917 sold to the Shipping Controller, renamed Polonia? In the photo I found of the Polonia has two funnels, In the photos Doc posted one being an advertising poster (single funnel)and the other she is again single funnel. Must say though in Docs photos that ship looks as if she would pre date a vessel built in 1901!! She looks to have what I assume would be a canvas awning forward likely to be a hatch tent. Even in the 60's/70's we would rig hatch tents as while coasting down West Africa we would carry deck passengers between ports, also if we had a crowd of deck boys that was their sleeping and living areas.
    It is a shame that there are no photos available from the Tees built ships site.
    Looking at the 1918 British Government- Ship Controller- Elder Dempster she must have been released back to owners after the first world war?
    Thanks again Doc & Graham for your efforts, Doc did solve the W&H stamp as Walker & Hall.
    Funny how a little cigarette case can have a few of us delving into the history of an old ship .

11. Thanks Graham Shaw thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis # 6...Yes,the ShipsList site is,and has been in the past, a good source for info on lots of maritime subjects.The problem now is I think it's not updated much,if indeed at all.
    You're right about searching for info- I love it and consider it a challenge,but as we know it's sifting out the relevant sites to get it from,(Wikipedia can be so wrong!)-so many sites now of course.But no complaints for sure. Does anybody remember searching for hours(days!) through the indexes of the Encyclopaedia Britannica as a kid searching for the slightest morsel of info about a subject? I always used to get sidetracked by the art gallery section showing nude pictures of statues(it's all we had!) Once I had to be extra nice to my older sister on pain of her telling mum and dad what I had been looking at.Yes,dumb old me had left paper bookmarks on certain pages...Today it's different.Just remember to clear your browsing history!

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Yes the browsing history needs to be cleared on a regular basis, what I find annoying is you look at a site and next thing is you are getting bombarded with advertisements. Come on as if I could afford an Aston Martin lol.
    Even when you clear your browsing history it is still lurking in the back ground somewhere.
    Must be some members bricking it when the puter needs to go in for repair

15. Likes Graham Shaw, Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I loved those Encyclopaedia Britannicas .I think they are on line these days but back in the 50's and 60's I remember they cost a fortune out of Dad's working class wages.I'd like to think it paid off for him as all three of us kids passed the 11 plus and went on to good state schools and made good careers.
    I was upset after Dad passed on and heard that they had been 'misappropriated' by a house-clearing company ...I wonder if my bookmarks were still in them!
    Getting back to those pictures of nude statues....I remember being pleasantly surprised in later years when upon tentatively touching my first girlfriend's breast, I discovered that it wasn't made out of plaster.
    Even more surprising was the fact that her left arm had not been severed half way between the elbow and shoulderblade.
    But even more exciting ,upon looking at a nude Michaelangelo's David, was discovering that my ten year old 'winkie' was considerably larger than that young statue's half inch stub!😁

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 will airways remember as for a Sidereal Day was 23 hours 56 minutes and 27 seconds so must have had stars in my eyes even as a youngster. As for girls was disallusioned on finding plastic inserts in place of the proper thing as I had thought existed . We all had to learn I suppose. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th May 2021 at 12:53 PM.
    R575129

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast