Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shaw Savills Buccaneers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shaw Savills Buccaneers

I did Five months on the SUEVIC in 1955, a big hungry workhouse and a Battleship
    None stop fighting with the sailors and firemen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Black View Post
    #6 Tony, can't remember Terry or Peter on any of those trips.
    Sailed on them between 69 to 73
    Regards Michael
    They would have been away in 68 first trip, brothers from Rowlands Gill, Terry was a non drinker and a bit scared of women, last I heard about him was that he was the biggest shagnasty on the Aussie coast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think we may have met Tony, I was on the Gothic and Aranda.

4. Likes Tony Taylor, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Graham, I was an Engineer with SS&A from 1971 to 1982 and we used all those names you mention plus another - "Sail Saturday Afternoon". Despite using these names all the chaps I sailed with seemed to have a deep allegiance to SS&A and were proud of the ships and crews.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also had a memorable trip on the Suevic 63 into 64. It would take far too long to list all the experiences on that ship. Did not come home on her.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

J did a trip on the Suevic around about the same time, Captain Carroll was the skipper, quite a character wore a monocle which he had trouble keeping in place, he did have a DSO so looks can be deceiving.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're all making me a bit tearful. I met my late husband when he was on the Suevic. Not knowing anything about ships I thought she was beautiful.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Suevic was a good ship, did one trip on her, Captain Carroll in command, quite a character.

11. Likes Glennys Faulds liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the poem - reminds me of others such as "If you go down to the engine room etc...." M.V. Darro (ex-Carnatic) was my first ship with SS&A - No.4 berth Victoria Dock, London in 1973. Was a young Eng. Cadet and the Engine Room Log book said she was on Voyage No.4.... Yeah, right!!! Had a great two trips to Brazil & Argentina before going on to the Illyric, Amalric, Icenic, Ravenswood, Chiltern Prince, Cairn Leader and finally the dreadful Atlantic Splendour (ex-Moby Dick, Muirfield). Once spent a Christmas on the PSNC Orduna in Avonmouth and remember one dark and snowy night the Junior Eng wrecking his mum's new car by driving on the railway lines on the way back from the pub. Luckily we were able to lift it off the lines and into an empty warehouse for the night before hammering the wheels straight again and re-attaching the gear change linkage..... His mum wasn't too happy though when he took the car back.

13. Likes Tony Taylor, Bill Morrison, J Gowers liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Featherstonhaugh View Post
    Thanks for the poem - reminds me of others such as "If you go down to the engine room etc...." M.V. Darro (ex-Carnatic) was my first ship with SS&A - No.4 berth Victoria Dock, London in 1973. Was a young Eng. Cadet and the Engine Room Log book said she was on Voyage No.4.... Yeah, right!!! Had a great two trips to Brazil & Argentina before going on to the Illyric, Amalric, Icenic, Ravenswood, Chiltern Prince, Cairn Leader and finally the dreadful Atlantic Splendour (ex-Moby Dick, Muirfield). Once spent a Christmas on the PSNC Orduna in Avonmouth and remember one dark and snowy night the Junior Eng wrecking his mum's new car by driving on the railway lines on the way back from the pub. Luckily we were able to lift it off the lines and into an empty warehouse for the night before hammering the wheels straight again and re-attaching the gear change linkage..... His mum wasn't too happy though when he took the car back.
    Adrian, di you ever run across Terry Earle or his brother Peter (engineers). Have not seen them since 67

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast