Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Shaw Savills Buccaneers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shaw Savills Buccaneers

#19 was the Ravenswood one of John I Jacobs , if so was mate on her at one time. Would have to look up to see actual dates I was there if same ship. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on Suevic from January 1961. More fights on her than Madison Square Garden. Skipper logged everyone including me. Worst voyage i ever did.
    Gilly
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in my days, 6os 70s it was shaw saville fusilliers. "wer''e the heroes of the night we would rather F*#!k than fight! on the suevic in lyttleton alongside a port boat and a star boat. Absolute mayhem! {in the British!}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re #21 . Must be getting old and mind slipping . Complete error on my part Sorry. The Ravenswood I refer to was the Ravensworth one of Dalgliesh . I was on ore carriers with an interval of 10 years in between with 2 companies .the first in 1963 with the Pennyworth and Ravensworth ,the second with the Beechwood and Cherryewood JIJ In 1973. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Captain Long John was asked by the court official as he stood in the dock,
    "Where's your buccaneers'

He replied, 'Side of my bucking head'
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    I think the British was wiped out in the earthquake, all those memories, had many a drink in there.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

from Michael Foster.
    Have enjoyed the various stories re Shaw Savill & Albion. Joined the Cretic for three voyages, Aus and Kiwi, between Dec 58 to Feb 60. Had a break on one of Brocklebank's as QM before joining Mystic (a Charter vessel to SS&A) in Aug 60. Corinthic was early 61 then Illyric for two voyages Jun 61 to March 62. Half way across the Pacific on the way home I had an annoying ache in my right abdomen. We had a young Doctor aboard heading to the UK to work in a UK Hospital. I asked him what the chances were of the ache being appendicitis. "Very good" he said, "In fact I think that it is". He gave me the option of giving me some injections which would isolate the problem, chuck me off the ship in Panama to an American Hospital, and then DBS home on another vessel. "Or" he said "I can do it on the ship". "Have you got all the gear" I asked. "Yep" was the answer. A table in the saloon was prepared. My good mate John Stubbs shaved the family jewels, the Old Man Capt James slowed the ship down, and so the operation began. On the slab as it were, the Dr administered a number of Local Anaesthetic injections. When everywhere was numb enough he started in with the scalpel. I was awake for most of the operation, but couldn't see anything as there was a sheet was rigged from the deck-head down. The Old Man was at my head, and various of the crew were co-opted to assist. The Third Electrician had control of a Cluster light on a hurriedly put-together stand. Although I felt no pain I did feel there skin tension change as the scalpel sliced through. It was about this time that the deck-head became very bright followed by a loud crash. This was the Third Electrician fainting. He came-to quite quickly and remonstrated that he was OK, but was told to go as he was now not surgically clean. The operation was successful I was pretty right by the time we Paid-Off in the UK. Had some time off and did a couple of voyages to Canada before joining the Megantic in Apr 63. I did five voyages in her until Christmas 64. That was my last voyage in the British Merchant Navy...........
    Michael F. R683820

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did they really run to Bombay?
    R835171

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3