Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Things your Mum & Dad may have said

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Things your Mum & Dad may have said

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #53 Ivan was there a pub opposite the station called the Paragon Hotel where all the harlots used to get. If missed out at the MN Hotel was always a second option . JS
    Not if you lived in Hull John, that would be known as shi**ing on your own doorstep, anyway I can only assume they were nothing like the fair maidens of Valparaiso

Keith at Tregenna Guest

3. Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My man who was Scottish, had this to say about any woman of ill repute.They should have a wisp*of straw put to them.Never sure on where the straw should be attached, but can make a guess.Also I believe it was then set alight. Charming.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#58 Was in the pub one night as we were in KG V in Hull one time must have Been 64/65 loading general for the Hudson Bay . Had the usual union problem seekers from some break away union. One was a very unsavourily character obviously intent on causing dissention on board.Was in the Paragon one night and. The same character was in there Spouting his spiel of discontent . Enter this shore bosun a big forced drought job , sights the discontented person and shouts across the bar , hey you .you left your dirty underpants under the bed this morning , only she said this in old English. The mouth shrivelled up and made an excuse and scurried out of the bar. I would have stood. Up and applauded but didn’t want to attract attention to myself.. That was my memories of the Paragon Hotel , found a more affable pub later. Cheers JS..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st August 2021 at 01:32 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Den, maybe you dad knew all about the Chastity belt of old.
    Did read once that the ladies who had to wear them would put straw in them to stop the chaffing.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    In the 50's and early 60's sent a lot of my leave time in the MN Hotel, Anlaby Road, opposite the side entrance of Paragon Station in Hull. Had a great bar in there, great dances, but you needed radar to get around with all the smoke, but we thought nothing of it then.

In the early 50's we didn't have cars, only bikes with a crossbar and a plastic mac to prevent the girls skirt turning green, a lot of parks in and around Hull, it wasn't called the garden city for nothing, yup! that was real smooth John
    We had some good parks in North London Ivan, my favourite was the surrounding grounds of Alexander Palace, "Ally Pally it was about 3.5 miles
    from my home, I spent much time there aged from about 12 until 15, boxing club, roller skating rink, boating lake with a wooded island in the middle
    where many a dalliance took place, good fishing as well, a great annual fair and the "bunny hills" a few green skirts there. I left school Easter 54
    aged 15, I wrote to 52 Leadenhall Street London enquiring about the MN, I received a reply telling me I was too young and to write again at 16 years
    old, I took a job at a small engineering firm as a stopgap, I wrote again at 16, had an interview and joined the TS VINDICATRIX May 1955, now that
    was smooth to me, cheers. PS, RE cigarette smoke, remember standing outside pub with packet of smiths crisp and a lemonade aged about 8,
    peeping through the door at them all singing "Roses of Picardy" you could hardly see through the smoke, used to love those old pub singsongs.
    Last edited by John F Collier; 31st August 2021 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Things mum and dad may have said.
    Son this world is rough, and if a mans gonna make it he's gotta be tough, and I knew I wouldn't be there to help you along, then he named me Sue
    and buggered off.
    Walk tall, walk straight, look the world right in the eye, that's what my mama told me when I was about knee high,
    she said son be a proud man and hold your head up high, walk tall walk straight and look the world right in the eye.
    The late great Johnny Cash & Val Doonican, cheers.

9. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6