Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Things your Mum & Dad may have said

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Things your Mum & Dad may have said

After giving me a clout on the head and realizing i hadn’t done the bad thing she thought “That’s for the one I didn’t see” or, “That’s for the next one i don’t learn about”. “Well then, how far would you have been if i hadn’t called you back ?” “Be careful crossing the road; you have holes in your vest” Sending me off to the shop on a message after handing me a !0 shilling note “ Give it here”. Pretending it to wipe her butt with it and handing it back “Why did you do that Mum ?” — “Because once you crack a note, that is all it is worth”. ‘Eat IT ! THERE ARE PEOPLE STARVING IN CHINA”. A snarky response of “Well send it to them” was met with a hard slap

Keith at Tregenna Guest

If you do not behave I will give your tortoise to
    a tramp and tell him it's a pasty.

K.

3. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your mother saying as she gave you a slap 'this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you' I wonder if it ever did?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or I”I’ll tell your father when he gets in from work. To my recollection my father never raised his hand to me. The nearest he ever came to it was when I told my mother he had whistled at a girl on a bike when her skirts blew up with the wind. Never Never Never carry tales he said and was on the verge of it. My mother was 5 feet 1 inches tall and I suspect 4 feet 11 inches in her stocking feet , so she must have carried a helluva punch. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Or I”I’ll tell your father when he gets in from work. JS.
    Luckily my father was always on long trips!

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon, Keith Adams liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So was I , Ivan that was why I never once talked about shipping to my son. He came down to ships I was on in the UK and continent as a kid , but I never promoted such a life style to him as he must have seen what long absences was capable of doing . He is now well into his 50s and the last time I saw he asked me why I never promoted such a life to him As he was once quite interested in doing so. Was news to me if he had wanted all he had to do was ask and I would have helped him all the way. Another drawback to going to sea , long absences may make the heart grow fonder, but it also causes chasms in communications with family , my only regret in spending long periods away. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have no regrets John, you cannot be all things to your children, no matter how hard you try. Your job put food on the table, gave them somewhere to live and probably a better education than if you had chosen another route. Someone has to do the jobs that take them away from home, be they MN, RN, Forces, Pilots, HGV drivers, etc, not only did we put food and essentials into our own homes, we put them in everybody elses. We went about our business unseen, unappreciated and nothing to this day has changed. Being absent didn't mean you didn't love them any less than someone who saw their children everyday. Yes we missed their birthdays, xmases, confirmations etc, but we made sure it was Christmas every time we went home.

My father tried to dissuade me from going to sea, but having stepped on my first ship at 5 years old, I knew then what I wanted to do, and that dream never left me, however he said in later years if you do want to go to sea and see the world, then you had better join the MN, as if you join the RN you could end up serving on a concrete ship (I've met some of them!). He forgot to mention the pension benefits of being in the RN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arriving home on leave, hello, when are you going back, happened every time.
    Vic

11. Likes Denis O'Shea, N/A, Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

One of the greatest things a father can teach a son is how to treat a woman the way she deserves to be treated – like a queen.

Respecting women is of utmost importance. They are our mothers, sisters, wives, and daughters.

13. Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Dad always had his Motto and taught it to the two of us ! "Hit First and ask Questions later!" Worked for me many times!

But he was a strict one and when we did any wrong used his old Trusted wide Services Leather Belt on us, did us no harm in te long run, and taught us to do the right thing and have respect.

Mum was a lot more gentle though and remember her on many occasions saying to Dad, now why must you hit the Kids , well we knew why ! LOL

Bless her Soul!

Loved them both very much though no matter what!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast